Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Emotional Survival Guide for Caregivers: Looking After Yourself and Your Family While Helping an Aging Parent
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on April 25, 2006
Barry Jacobs has written an excellent book not only for caregivers of aging medically ill parents but for professionals who work with patients and families coping with chronic illness. Several things stand out in this book. First is the approach which involves following a ficionalized pair of adult sisters who are caring for and coping with an ailing mother. Jacobs writes this account with great depth and creativity and is able to capture the kinds of feelings and describe the kinds of patterns that are often missing in other 'self help' books. Second, Jacobs also utilizes his own expereince, personal and professional, including advice columns he has written over the years. Third, the book covers evrerything from how to decide how much care you can provide to how to consider spiritual and other issues. Fourth, along the way are plenty of very valuable "how to" suggestions that will be of great benefit to any reader. If you are looking for even one caregiving book for your bookshelf, choose this one. Excellent read. Excellent resource.
on October 15, 2006
Author Barry Jacobs has done his homework well and speaks of his subject matter with both expertise and the human touch of one who knows this territory first hand from having lived it both personally and professionally. As a practicing clinician, I have recommended it to many patients who are struggling with issues around the aging and declining health of their parents. Jacobs provides a prospective that steers a middle course between acknowledging the guilt that adult children feel around the need to take care of themselves while taking care of their parent, and the real physical and emotional demands of caretaking. Besides all that, he is a good writer and tells us about the central lessons of caretaking through the story of two sisters facing the serious illness of their mother. This subject is one most of us have to face sooner or later, and Barry Jacobs gives us an excellent guide as to how to navigate the terrain as well as possible.

Jan Goldman, Psy.D.
on April 24, 2006
The Emotional Survival Guide for Caregivers is an amazing book focused around the difficulties faces by two sisters taking care of their ailing mother. Real people can relate to the characters and their struggles are real to many people across America and the rest of the world. I think that anyone who is a caregiver should definately read this book.
on September 22, 2013
My Mother has Parkinson's Disease and as her only caregiver (in a family of many) for the past six years I felt alone and on the verge of giving up when I found this book. Thank you Barry Jacobs you saved my life and my Mother's life. I no longer feel alone and am working through the pages a little at a time with hope to survive
on November 23, 2013
I was struggling trying to be a new caregiver to someone with dementia. When I read this book, I immediately tried some of the tips. The response was positive. This advice works. I did end up placing the lady, though, because its just not my personality to be that selfless. Being a caregiver is not for everybody. But, if I can use these tips to plow through a rough patch, I know YOU can too! Helpful book!
on August 29, 2015
Profound insight in the real needs of caregiving families. He brings it to life in a narrative of 2 sisters caring for their mom, and how their life experiences, i.e. life script, plays into their approach. His answers provide further insight, not solutions, to the family relationship dynamics in a caregiving situation. A must read for every family in this kind of situation.
on June 10, 2014
An easy to read, well-organized book that speaks directly to the different challenges facing caregivers and families supporting aging elders. Includes practical advice on how to understand and manage your own stress as well as understanding how these situations feed into what may already be complex family dynamics. I've been recommending it to everyone I know who is involved in caring for an elderly parent, either alone, or with the support of aides, other family members, or providing support to someone else who is a primary caregiver.
on January 12, 2013
I have been in a caregiving situation for twelve years. I wish I had read this book at the start. I found it very helpful and insightful with meaning for me even at this stage in the process. I would recommend this for any caregiver of a person with a chronic disease.
on May 10, 2013
This was helpful any material that can help you when your'e a care giver is a blessing . I also read this because I was the one being cared for . It helped me to understand what my children were going thru . As well as understanding , my own mothers needs .
on July 19, 2013
I wanted something to share with my friends who are just now struggling with "surviving". This book was easier to read than another that I also bought. It is perfect to share with a friend who is frantically worried and stuggling.