Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on October 27, 1999
This book is pretty enough for your coffee table. But it won't stay there. This is a dynamic book that summons herb gardeners to use the herbs they grow and herb users to grow the herbs they use. 550 herbs are profiled with photos and details of what they are used for, which part is used and how it is used. But, Mr. Chevallier doesn't stop there. He instructs you with color photographs and hands on instructions how to make the preparations needed. He not only tells you that a lotion of Lemon Balm is used for cold sores but how to make that lotion for yourself.  It covers everything from making your own tablets to making your own tonic wine. The emphasis here is on fresh from the garden potency.  There is a large chapter on specific ailments that is cross referenced with the plant pages. There is even a section on making an herbal first aid kit. This is the perfect book for those who want to rely on knowing the herb they are using is the correct one, and that it is fresh and organically grown.
0Comment50 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon December 10, 2000
THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MEDICINAL PLANTS by Andrew Chevallier is a relatively comprehensive source of information about herbal uses for healing. This is not the most recent volume by this author, however. The 2000 version is more comprehensive and includes the most current information about research associated with herbal medicinal uses.
A less expensive and highly useful book on herbs and their uses is available from Rodale, entitled, ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF HERBS. The Rodale book includes information missing from this version of Chevallier's book concerning negative effectives of herbs including accidental poisoning owing to misuse or problems with plant identification. Also, Rodale has been the the organic growing business for several decades and offers information about plant horticulture. Chevallier's book is better illustrated, and filled with many colorful photographs but relatively less text (ratio of 1:4 pages for each item).
Unlike Ody's book, THE COMPLETE MEDICAL HERBAL, the Chevallier book contains information about native American herbs such as Cimicifuga Racemosa (Squawroot, Black Cohash). THE COMPLETE BOOK OF HERBS by Leslie Bremmness does not contain the comprehensive coverage of medicinal uses, but it does provide much information about medicinal and other uses such as pot pourri and sachet making, paper making, and food preparation.
0Comment51 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 1997
This is a big, beautifully illustrated compilation of herbal information.I haven't found an herb yet that wasn't covered here.This book is a joy to have around. From the herbal history of the world to the practical tips for everyday ailments, preparing tinctures, decoctions and infusions, it has everything you could want. I highly recommend this book to the novice herbalist as well as the experienced. Interesting, easy to read, buy this book!
on February 5, 1998
A herbologist borrows my book for its fine information.
on August 4, 1997
As a student of herbal medicine myself, I find this book is
more practical than any on the market. It is written so that
even my cat can understand it, and oh... the information is
very up-to-date, something us both future and already herbalists
have a hard time finding. I even have caught my boyfriend reading
it. So if your looking for a book that will help you discover
how to make your fridge fuller than what it really is, this is
it!
on October 17, 1997
So many people are looking for alternative remedies to every day ailments. Going to the doctor is expensive and very time consuming. I found this book purely by chance and have been impressed beyond beliefe. From the history of herbalism to the future of holistic medicine, this book has it all. It is easy to read and understand making it perfect for anyone and everyone looking for a more homeopathic way to heal ones self. I highly recommend this book to every health conscious individual who wants to take control of his own healing. 5 stars!
on May 1, 2007
This book has been on my most used shelf for over ten years. It has some shortcomings that are easily augmented by anyone with a good herbal library. I love the layout and medicinal information as well as the history of the different herbal systems in the world. Great Book!
on June 5, 2007
I have been looking for this book for over a year, and hadn't been able to find it. It is just what I was looking for and has great information, and really nice pictures.
on December 7, 2012
I am giving this 5 stars because I am simply amazed at how well this book is put together with lots of information and wonderful pictures. This book does cover a lot of herbs and plants that aren't common in the states, but I like that. I have other books for stuff that is fairly common to my area.

The information is nicely organized and easy to locate based on plant or symptoms. Under each plant it tells you how to make the oils, infusions, tinctures, etc. Gives you a recommendation of how to use, how much to take, when to take it, and some cautions that you need to be aware of when they apply. Also gives you information on how long some stuff can be stored, which can benefit first aid kits, or someone ordering herbs and storing them for future use.

This book was published in 1996. I didn't realize that until after I made the purchase, but I am still very pleased with it :) The book is rather large, but the size, layout, and colours, make it very easy for my eyes to read, and few books are easy on my eyes.

Makes a nice addition to the home library.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2016
I've had my book for 20yrs since its release in 1996 and enjoy it tremendously. It is well formatted and the information is like no other herb book I've owned or borrowed. This book is indexed by ailments, herbs and body systems so you can quickly find what you need and then tells you how to make the preparations in full color step by step. It also warns you of interactions and health conditions. After watching Frontline on PBS last night about the impotency and adulteration of OTC herbs, fish oils and vitamin supplements I am so glad I have this book and can grow my own herbs or at least buy organic. I have more faith in what Jehovah GOD has created than what man has chemically manipulated. I just ordered it also for my daughter in-law! :-D
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse