Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 13, 2013
When I read the recipes in the back of the book I thought they were so radical that no one, unless they were, 'on death's doorstep', would eat that way. Well, I don't see 'crow' as one of the options but, if it were, I'd be eating it. I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago and since then, my life has been a rollercoaster between feeling awful and just fair. Although I'd incorporated more exercise into my lifestyle and my blood sugar had gone down, it didn't change my overall feelings of well being. Seemed no matter what combination of foods I ate, I couldn't seem to sustain 'feeling good'.

I decided I'd try one or two of the less 'outrageous' recipes and go from there. That was just about a month ago and I'm still trying the recipes. One day about two weeks into eating this way, I had a hamburger and french fries. I'm not kidding, I felt so awful the next day I could barely function.

I have a freezer full of meat that I'm boxing up to take to the food bank. I gave a gallon of 1% milk away a few days ago. I'm also taking all noodles, pasta, etc.

I'm also eating steel cut oats and taking red rice yeast. My cholesterol was down almost 50% my last blood test.

So, like me, you can delude yourself into thinking you could never incorporate a diet like this into your lifestyle OR, you can try it and, like me, be amazed at how great it tastes, how fantastic it makes you feel and, wonder of wonders, you can eat as much as you want......and STILL lose weight!

I'm grateful to Dr. Fuhrman for all the research and work he's done to produce the book and the recipes. I truly think it's a life saver. I understand that his other book, 'Eat to Live', also has some great recipes.

I see on his website you can sign up, for a nominal sum, and get additional recipes and recommendations, etc., personally, I think that's, 'milking', it but, that's just my opinion. The more you become accustomed to fixing food this way, the more adventurous you'll become working with the recipes.

Good health!

As an addendum to this review, it is now May 10 and I began eating as suggested by this book on January 21. When I began this way of eating, my blood sugar was 7.8 and my doctor wanted to start me on insulin...which I was VERY opposed to. I had my quarterly blood test on May 6th and my blood sugar is 6! NORMAL. I can think of no better recommendation for eating as recommended in this book. AND, although I stick to it about 99% I do use olive oil when I want to, I eat grilled shrimp on a caesar salad smothered in grated cheese occasionally. I love salsa and chips and have them once or twice a week so, it doesn't have to be so radical you won't stick with it. Tailor it to your life style and see what works and doesn't work for you. No one will stick to any diet that is so rigid they can't live normally.

Good health!
2626 comments| 784 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2013
I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes and put on Metformin on June 26th, 2013. I started the ADA diet and followed it 100% for a few weeks and could not get my blood sugar to go below 140. Finally i began to panic and called my doctor, he told me to get used to it. He said I would be on metformin my whole life and eventually insulin. At that point i knew something wasn't right and began to do a lot of research. On July 13th I went to the book store and found this book after looking at 10 or so others. I read the book from end to end that night because everything Dr. Fuhrman was saying made absolute sense. I started the diet that day and the next morning my blood sugar was down to 100, the next day was in the 90's and now i have a fasting blood sugar between Mid 70's and the 80's. My doctor took me off the metformin after just one week of being on this lifestyle change. I have lost over 30 pounds in a month. I now work out twice a day and still have tons of energy. I have lost 6+ inches around my waist and I am off my high blood pressure medication too. I have about 20 more pounds to go till my body finds its ideal weight. The great news is, this is a lifestyle I can live with, it makes sense and it works. God Bless Dr. Fuhrman. I wish the ADA would stop enabling consumers and tell them the truth. You can get off the drugs, you can help yourself, but you have to have a correct lifestyle and diet. No more processed foods.
1717 comments| 582 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2013
I find the negative comments on this book rather enlightening. Essentially, they all said something like: I don't want to eat that way, so the book doesn't suit me. In the first month following the program outlined in this book, I dropped my blood pressure from about 150 to 120 and fasting glucose average from about 240 to 120. So, Hey, I can get along without pizza and donuts in order to add a dozen healthy years to my life. I think that is a reasonable choice. If someone would rather cut his life short by enjoying gluttony, that's a choice he is entitled to make. But he shouldn't blame the author of the book for it.
4444 comments| 1,003 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
Diabetes is a terrible and tragic disease. It's terrible because of the awful effects that diabetes has on the body, things like heart disease, blindness, nerve damage, and amputations. It's tragic because diabetes is both preventable and reversible.

Joel Fuhrman's new book, "The End of Diabetes" takes his seminal book on nutrition, "Eat to Live", and applies it to reversing diabetes. Those who are familiar with Fuhrman's work will know that the key to reversing the disease causing effects of the Standard American Diet (SAD) is nutritional excellence. He calls his approach to plant based, high nutrient eating a "Nutritarian" diet.

In "The End of Diabetes" Fuhrman is careful to lay out the causes of diabetes, the traditional approach to managing the disease and how these approaches fail to address the real problems creating the problem. The message is don't just treat the effects of diabetes, that's a losing game. Instead, eliminate the cause of the diabetes directly!

His approach is based on years of experience successfully treating those with chronic conditions that traditional medicine has failed to help. The book provides ample examples of folks who have been successful in their efforts to restore their health through the Nutritarian approach.

Included in the book:
* A brief guide to understanding diabetes
* Don't medicate, eradicate the disease
* A comparison of the SAD and the "Nutritarian" diet
* Reversing diabetes by understanding hunger - both true hunger and toxic
* What about high protein, low-carb diets
* Phenomenal fiber in beans - (did you know that there are really three types of fiber?)
* The truth about fat - (hint, you need good fats)
* The "Nutritarian" diet in action
* Six steps to achieving our health goals
* Special information for doctors and patients
* FAQs
* Menus (two weeks) and recipes

The book is a must have for those seeking to address the root cause of diabetes and those who want to reduce or eliminate the use of drugs to treat their disease.
1212 comments| 598 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
Over on Facebook, a few of us are preparing ourselves as health professionals (RNs, NDs, RPhs, Health Coaches, etc) to help a sadly growing part of the world today: those who are succumbing to Diabetes type 2. We've organized an aggressive online bookclub where we are reading one book a month for the whole year of 2013. The first book we read this year for January is Dr. Fuhrman's The End of Diabetes.

I ordered the book and it was delivered the day after Christmas 2012 and I tore right into it. There's no secret today that controlling blood sugar levels is the main objective in the allopathic medical circles with the notion that lower blood sugar means less systemic damage - which is, theoretically true. Sadly though, those anti-hyperglycemic agents do little to control diabetes - they just attempt to control the symptoms of the disease. Too many people are under the impression that they can continue to eat the way they want as long as they have enough pills to cover up the problems.

Dr. Fuhrman takes a very radical, very different approach. While he is a medical doctor, of course, he uses some medicines but moderately and as conservatively as possible. His plan is very demanding, very strict, very planned-out, and very successful.

In other words, if you can follow a vegan or near-vegan diet to the exclusion of dairy, cheese, chicken, fish, animal flesh and products, soda, sugar, white flour, processed anything, AND plan out exercise, food, shopping lists, journal and get the support you need - you will probably meet with success on his plan.

Is his plan do-able for the average person with moderately high blood sugar that thinks they are doing "okay" because they see a doctor every 3 months to have monitoring and testing done, walk leisurely 20-30 minutes a day, and avoid deserts on most days? Well, probably not. The plan is strict, all-encompassing, and will seem out of reach for many.

Would I, as a Registered Nurse and Registered Health Coach promote and recommend this book and program? Yes, resoundingly so. However, I am also accepting and aware that much of what the good doctor has written will fall on a great deal of resistance and avoidance.

But: for those that are looking for a hard-core, serious, and carefully outlined path to be rid of or at least mitigate a disease that affects every cell of your body and every organ you have - this book is written for you. It isn't the ONLY path to eat wisely and exercise your way out of diabetes type 2 and the concomitant dangers and risks (blindness, kidney failure, weight gain, nerve pain, amputations, heart disease, stroke, etc), then this book will probably inspire and guide you.

It's a good book, well written, and science-based, but it will not appeal to many people in the general population of those with Diabetes type 2.
55 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2013
My wife came home last month with bad news that she would have to go on a diabetic medicine. Her glucose level was in the diabetic range. We found this book and gave it a try. I was skeptical that it would work but there were no other choices other than medicine. She has lost 16 lbs. In the 4 weeks my wife's glucose level went from diabetic to normal.
I watched my mother suffer with diabetes for decades. So, I am so happy we bought this book. It was a great diet education for me also.
How many books can you buy that will save your life and health?
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2013
I own Eat to Live and follow Dr. Furhman's advice. He's smart, tough, honest and extremely knowlegeable. He doesn't sugarcoat anything. If you want to live a long healthy life, focusing diet on food and vegetables is non-negotiable.
Having said that, I was looking forward to "The End of Diabetes" hoping to learn some new information about the nutritional treatment of prediabetes. My concerns are primarily with the organization of the book, not the contents. For example phase one and phase two of the diets are in two different chapters. If you want to follow phase one, you have to slog through the chapter written for physicians. Second, important little nuggets of information are scattered throughout the explanation of the eating plan: for example, you can have flaxseed and/or walnuts for breakfast, but it does not count toward your daily nut allocation. Another concern is that prediabetes is not addressed directly, although it is a precursor to full-blown diabetes. Bottom line, the editing could have been MUCH better. But substantively, as usual, Dr. F is right on point.
3131 comments| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
Today, after maybe six weeks on this plan, my blood sugar is down to 85 before lunch (formerly 106 to 131 over the last year).

While I think this book is repetitive in places, poorly organized, and could have used a good editor, the information in it is first rate.

The best way to read this is with a paper (not Kindle) copy of the book, go through it with a highlighter, and then when you're done make notes to refer to in a word processing document and organize the information in whatever way is most useful to you. (Doing this also helps to commit the information to memory, and gives you a place to refer back to over time to refresh your memory without having to wade through the book again.

I didn't set out to go vegan overnight, and I still eat sushi from time to time, but maybe because I didn't go cold turkey overnight and make it a big thing, this got easy for me.

I've found making a huge pot of beans and then keeping about four days' worth in the fridge and dividing the rest into equal-sized freezer bags makes having food on hand easy, and just a few spoonfuls of beans each day seem to go a long way towards keeping me satisfied. I'm NEVER hungry on this plan, and in fact I'm always on a quest to learn new things and try new things, and while the learning curve was considerable, within less than two months I had found new techniques and vegan equivalants (Vegenaise, Tofutti brand sour cream and cream cheese substitutes, etc.).

Lunches are sometimes a vegetable smoothie mixed with flax seeds or chia seeds and some frozen pineapple to make it palatable, but my favorite lunch is two pita bread halves, toasted, then slathered with Vegenaise and filled with a sprinkling of raw, unsalted sunflowers, raisins, cucumber slices, and whatever greens or carrots I feel like adding, and the other one that's quick and easy is toasting two corn tortillas in the toaster until they puff up and start to smell good (but before they burn), then filling that with a couple spoonfuls of beans, some pico de gallo, and some Tofutti "sour cream." Quick and easy and satisfying. Another good thing to add in the tacos is paper thin cabbage shreds cut on a mandoline and then sprinkled with a squeeze of lime juice -- delicious.

For dinner I do soups, vegetables stews, and salads, and one of my favorites is what I call my big 1970s-style "Hippie/Save the Whales" salad with lettuce, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, sprouts, tomato, sliced carrots, slices of avocado (1/2 per person), shredded red cabbage sometimes, and raw, unsalted sunflower seeds.

In his DVDs and on his web site I found a lot of ways to make salad dressings without oil, and some of them are delicious.

I did buy a Vitamix after about the first month and love it. I've made a creamy cauliflower soup that was stellar and that you would never know had no heavy cream in it. (Search for Food 52 Bertolli cauliflower soup.)

Organizational issues aside with this book, I highly recommend it. What matters is what you're going to learn from it, even if it is flawed slightly and could have used a good editor.

By the way, I found this video dull and hokey but with great information in there, especially the bit about how oatmeal works in your system and how your muscles are like a sponge with water in it, and that when you exercise it's like squeezing the liquid out of the sponge so that it takes in more water (meaning when you exercise it uses the sugar in your muscles and that gets replenished with the sugar in your blood, effectively lowering your blood sugar. No one had ever explained it as simply before, and there's a lot of good information in here (even if the canned audience and hokey jokes are dull as can be, it's worth watching and writing down the good information then passing on to someone else who can use it. Live Long, Live Well with Robert Pritikin

Also look into chia seeds from your health food store. I recently had two incidents where my blood dropped to the 60s and the only thing I can think is it's because I'm still taking my medication and the chia seeds in my morning smoothie MIGHT have caused this effect by afternoon. Both days were on days I ate regular lunches out so there was no reason it should have dipped like that, and I'm now experimenting to see if this effect happens when using chia seeds in my smoothies, but there's a lot of info on the Net indicating chia seeds do help lower blood sugar (I know they also help remove anti-oxidants and other things from your system). I'm not saying this is the reason yet, but it's worth looking into because this has never happened before and needs more study to see if there's a link in what I eat and when this happens next.
66 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2013
Clearly spells what you have to do with your diet to overcome diabetes. Even includes a 2 week food plan with recipes. They reason I didn't give it 5 stars was that about halfway through the book you find out you need to buy a $500 Vitamix blender. It would be extremely difficult to follow this 'nutritarian' (vegan?) diet otherwise, I think. And there is apparently no competition in the high end market of blenders.

Also, the book tends to lead you his website for further information and possible purchases of dressings, recipes, etc. Yes, one needs to get paid for their hard work and time spent. However, I have chosen to find alternative recipe sources in books and there appear to be quite a few.

I bought the Eat to Live book first and though there is quite a bit of overlap. Get one or the other depending on whether you are diabetic or heading for it using the Standard American Diet.

Lastly, I'm currently doing the Newcastle University diabetes low calories diet and I think this might be a better entry point into Dr. Fuhrman's 'nutritarian' diet: [...]
2929 comments| 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
First let me say I have been a fan of Dr. Fuhrman and nutritarian eating for years. So it was with great surprise that I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes despite the fact that I followed nutritarian guidelines, was thin (BMI 19) and had gained all of five pounds by the time of my diagnosis. Thinking my numbers would go back to normal after delivery, I was even more shocked when my glucose tolerance results were even worse, and I am now diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Between the gestational and type 2 diabetes I have been dealing with this and checking postprandial glucose levels for nearly a year.

It didn't take me long to realize that the recommended foods of a nutritarian diet- namely fruits, beans, and whole grains- made my blood sugar shoot sky high. It also didn't take me long to figure out that a low carb diet kept my numbers in check. While I maintain the "pound a day" of non-starchy vegetables, I replace fruit, grains, and beans with chicken, lamb, eggs, fish, hard cheeses, generous amounts of olive oil, and allow myself unlimited amounts of nuts (compared to the one ounce a day recommended by Dr. Fuhrman). Well guess what? Not only have I remained thin (in fact I've lost a few pounds!) but my A1C is normal, and unless I stray from low carb eating my fasting glucose is rarely over 80, and my postprandial levels rarely crack 100 (whereas beans and fruit will shoot me into the 200 range).

I suppose if your diabetes is caused by obesity and eating refined foods, a nutritarian approach is better than nothing, but a nutritarian diet is high in carbs. Your body won't care if these are "healthy" carbs if you can't metabolize them into energy. So please proceed with caution and look into low carb diets to control diabetes (like Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution). You don't have to eat loads of meat to follow a low carb diet- I usually manage 2 vegan meals a day and if you don't mind repetition you could probably maintain a mostly vegan low carb approach.
88 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse