5.0 out of 5 stars Most In-Depth & Solid Release To Date
Published on April 19, 2012 by redefind

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll Stay at the Masquerade
2009's Welcome to the Masquerade is TFK's masterpiece. Three years later, the band is challenged with the task of topping it. Did they do it? No. Is the album still worth a listen? Yes.
Published on June 24, 2012 by Jess

5.0 out of 5 stars Most In-Depth & Solid Release To Date, April 19, 2012
redefind (St. Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
I must say I am very impressed by this release from Thousand Foot Krutch. I was originally teetering between a 3.5 and a 4 for this album, but I now today I feel it's a solid 4.5 (which rounds up to 5). It seems there are 4 concurrent themes running through this album: We are the ones who can make a difference in this world, standing up to resistance, what really matters in life, and this world is evil but as Christians we have a hope in God.

This is the largest collection of solid songs I've heard from this band to date. It's so solid in fact that I had to buy it even though I haven't liked a TFK album completely since Phenomenon. I've always enjoyed individual songs from Thousand Foot Krutch, but I never felt they went far enough or presented as cohesive an offering as this one.

It's groovy, hard, heavy, light in certain places without being too flaky or gimmicky, and overall, it seems like they put a lot of time into making this album. You can really tell too. Most of the songs on here are really catchy, and there's really no filler. Every song is more than listenable and solid. It's true that they aren't the most original band ever - it's not like they created this genre themselves, but that's been the case from the beginning. They found a way to develop their own sound, and the traditional TFK sound is definitely apparent throughout this whole album.

Their songwriting has definitely improved with this release. From having a few standout songs to have nearly all of them standout - I'd say that TFK has gone the extra mile with this one. The one song that had me thinking, "What are they trying to say?" was "I Get Wicked." It seems to be about someone saying that TFK couldn't do what they were trying to do, standing up to that, and proving them wrong. I'd say they've been successful at creating cool music and ministering to people at the same time.

My personal favorites on this album are: "We Are," "The End Is Where We Begin," "Sparks Fly," "I Get Wicked," "Be Somebody," "Courtesy Call," "War of Change," and ----- basically the first 9 songs on the album and "Fly On The Wall." "So Far Gone" is essentially a worship song - which is pretty cool. "All I Need To Know" is also a slower song about God and how being with Him is all that matters in the end.

Overall, I would say this is a great effort from Thousand Foot Krutch - both musically and lyrically - and would definitely get me to pump my fist in the air and start thinking about making a difference in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars TFK really Light's up the Sky on this one, April 18, 2012
William J. (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
Having supported Thousand Foot Krutch on Kickstarter, I've had The End is Where We Begin for over a week now, and have listened to each track many, many times. So, let me say that this is an amazing album. Currently, each song has been played 40 times since I got it April 6th. If that's not enough proof to how incredible this album is, allow me to elaborate.

Without any music from Skillet or TFK (my favorite bands) in over two years, I was very anxious for The End is Where We Begin to release. I was even afraid that it wouldn't live up to my high expectations. Well, it did, actually, it surpassed them. The End is Where We Begin is so varied, so unique from not only their music, but rock music in general that it caught me off-guard. Most bands tend to have a very similar sound throughout their whole album, and while TFK retains their signature style, I feel like song is unique. Not two songs sound overly similar. Maybe this is due to the breath-taking sound that Trevor, Joel, and Steve have crafted for themselves, but the use of acoustics, strings, and percussions are so good that it really blows you away. And the lyrics, phew, they are something. In most albums, you can pick out at one or two 'filler' songs. Not here. Every song has a meaning for you to uncover. The choruses aren't just catchy, they also grab you. If you really listen, the lyrics will convict you, encourage you, and pick you up, all while tying into the universal theme of the album; Be the Change. Here's my breakdown of each song.

The Introduction - A very fitting opening for the album. Some may find it cheesy, but I think it perfectly sets the mood for what's to come. 9/10

We Are - A heavy, rousing beginning, and I wouldn't have it any other way. One of my personal favorites, We Are is backed by heavy riffs and an incredibly heavy and deep chorus. It's a song you can't help but sing along too. 9.5/10

Light of the Sky - This track is a perfect blend of old and new Thousand Foot Krutch. Trevor raps like a mad-man during the the song, but the chorus reverts to newer, more rock-heavy TFK. The raps are awesome, the chorus is awesome, it's all awesome. 8.5/10

The End is Where We Begin - Another favorite, the title track plays out exactly as it should; heavy and rousing. More of a Masquerade sounding song, The End is Where We Begin is carried by catchy lyrics that get stuck in your head and a meaning you can connect with. 9/10

Let the Sparks Fly - One of the heavier songs on the album, Let the Sparks Fly is also another favorite. The guitar is extra mind-blowing here and really compliments Trevor's catchy lyrics. The song means to show people to 'let their sparks fly', and it does so well. Defiantly a head bobber. 9.5/10

I Get Wicked - Although I wasn't a big fan of this track at first, I Get Wicked has really grown on me. It's similar to Light up the Sky as to who it combines old-school TFK rap with newer TFK rock. The lyrics take a little to get used to, because they're so original and interesting, it takes a few listens to really get the gist of it. 8/10

Be Somebody - This is one of TFK's best ballads yet, and one of my favorite songs on the album. You seriously have to listen to the lyrics to believe them, they are so good. I find myself humming this song all day, and waiting to listen to it as I play the whole album. I can't listen to it without getting shivers. 10/10

This Is a Warning (Intro) - Not really a song, more a minute long instrumental to get you ready for the next track. It does this well, and the two sound great together. But I can't really rate it on its own. N/A

Courtesy Call - This track really caught me off-guard. It opens with Trevor singing with a style I haven't heard before, and then rolls into an epic song. This song plays in your head all day, and has some lines that seriously give me shivers. 9.5/10

War of Change - Probably my favorite song, War of Change is a rock song at its best. The chorus is super-tempo and really gets your head moving. Catchy, rousing, and epic, War of Change is one of the best here. 10/10

Down - Probably the heaviest song here, Down also mixes together some rap into it. Another top favorite, Down's bridges and chorus are super catchy and Trevor's voice really grabs you in it, never letting go either. 10/10

All I Need to Know - Classic TFK ballad, the kind of song you would hum to yourself in the early morning. A soothing, comforting track that really brings hope in times of unknown. 9/10

Fly on the Wall - When I first read the track, I thought it was going to be a cover of the terrible Miley Cyrus song. Imagine my surprise when Fly on the Wall is, well, epic! It's not hard or fast, but it's defiantly not a ballad. It's really kind of hard to classify. The lyrics however, are really intriguing. It took me a few listens to really get the meaning, because their so deep. 9.5/10

So Far Gone - Although a fantastic ballad, I found myself thinking it sounded a little like All I Need to Know in tone, especially since they're so close together. Although the meanings are distinctly different, and both great, I found myself liking All I Need to Know a little more. But a good way to end the album. 8/10

The Outroduction - Clever name aside, The Outroduction is basically the Introduction again, except they add a few lines. Although still awesome, I would've preferred a little more. But it defiantly makes you want to listen to the album again. 8/10

Overall, if you like rock music defiantly look into this album. I personally think it's one of the best I've ever heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars A familiar but no less enjoyable TFK record, May 2, 2012
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
Canadian rockers Thousand Foot Krutch have gathered quite a following over their years together, releasing what many fans consider their best recording to date, Welcome To the Masquerade, near the end of 2009. After parting ways with Tooth & Nail records, recording new music independently, and rather successfully funding the release of said music through Kickstarter, the band has now unleashed their new album, The End Is Where We Begin. TFK's latest release is a solid and enjoyable rock record on its own merits, even though a lot of it sounds pretty familiar.

Stylistically The End... goes back to the band's roots in many ways, especially with several rapped verses. The guitars are still nice and crunchy and there's a lot of fist-pumping fun to be had listening to these songs. The album is well-rounded with plenty of enjoyable rockers and a few great soft tracks to even things out a bit. Trevor McNevan's versatility as a singer is also especially impressive- I find the raps to be hit-and-miss depending on the song (mostly because the lyrics are are generally weaker in these sections), but he absolutely nails the rockers and softens things up powerfully for the soft moments. In many ways, these songs sound pretty familiar even to one who has not extensively listened to the band's past work, but even so they are all very good.

TFK hardly misses a beat in delivering great songs on The End... The rockers are some of my favorites I've heard from TFK, especially the infectious "Courtesy Call," the flooring single "Let the Sparks Fly," and the diverse and simply fantastic "War of Change." The softer songs are also very good, especially the emotionally charged and worshipful "Be Somebody" and the unique and intriguing "Fly On the Wall." Other highlights include the solid title track with its great chorus, the rousing opener "We Are," and the acoustic-based tracks "So Far Gone" and "All I Need To Know." Even "The Introduction," which opens the album, and the "This Is a Warning" interlude add a tangible sense of intensity to the album as a whole.

Lyrically speaking, I found The End... to be fairly hit-and-miss. "I Get Wicked" is hard to take too seriously with its somewhat cheesy rapped verses while many other moments throughout the album do little to add to the song's overall message. The constant calls to action, though, are spot-on, and fit the music perfectly, especially with lines like, "Shake it off and lets take a ride / `Cause Heaven's not far away / and I'm not gonna leave you here" ("Let the Sparks Fly"). Strong lyrics also highlight the title track ("The end is where we begin / where broken hearts mend and start to beat again") and the emotional and inspiring "Be Somebody" (which I consider the best song on the album).

Overall, The End Is Where We Begin is a solid rock record. Although it has its weaknesses as a whole, the quality of the songs keeps it interesting and enjoyable from start to finish. Fans of the bands past albums should definitely enjoy this release, as should any heavy rock enthusiast. TFK's move to independence seems to have been a good one indeed.

Top Highlights: "Be Somebody," "Courtesy Call," "Let the Sparks Fly"

4.0 out of 5 stars Another rawking album, April 17, 2012
This review is from: The End Is Where We Begin (MP3 Music)
I have had the pleasure of listening to The End Is Where We Begin for a week, having received it early by participating in TFK's Kickstarter project. Though it does not have as many songs that I enjoyed from their previous albums, this one is full of the same heart and passion that TFK is known for. Some of my favorite TFK songs can be found here with We Are, Let the Sparks Fly and War of Change. Slower or softer rock songs can be a hit or miss for me and I felt the tracks on this album do not quite hold up to older songs like Already Home, Wish You Well and Breathe You In. That said, they are growing on me and I would not feel the need to skip them.

I cannot say that this album is better than The Flame In All Of Us or Welcome To The Masquerade, but it is still a solid album and highly recommend it. Keep rawking TFK!

4.0 out of 5 stars TFK really Rawks the Party!, April 17, 2012
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
TFK tried something new with their latest release, crowdfunding via Kickstarter. By asking fans to fund their new album, they cut out the middle man and could produce this album the way they wanted to. By raising over $100K in a month, TFK showed their fans had the faith. Those of us who backed the KS project recieved the album a week early as a reward for fronting the money up front.

I have been listening to this album nearly constantly for over a week and it is a great album. There is a little more "rappy" songs as a throw-back to some of their earlier albums. Some tracks are better than others (IMO) but over all the album flows together nicely.

My opinion is that both Masqurade and Flame are better albums, but I have also listened to those albums much longer than this one. If you are a fan of TFK this is a must buy (and you likely already have via KS). If you are new to TFK and are on the fence, this is a good album and worth owning. If this is your first look at TFK take a listen to Masquerade and Flame first. Come back to this one if you enjoyed those. If TFK isn't your favorite, this independent project doesn't deviate or try anything off-the-wall new and likely won't change your mind.

Solid 4 out 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars They're back., April 17, 2012
This review is from: The End Is Where We Begin (MP3 Music)
I have been pretty unimpressed with TFK since Phenomenon. I thought their songs were cliché and unoriginal, and I try my best to steer clear of that, especially when it's done in the name of Christ. But these songs are solid. Long ago, I was a diehard fan, and they've won me back with this one. Bravo, guys. It takes a lot to impress me with a rock record. But y'all have done just that.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll Stay at the Masquerade, June 24, 2012
This review is from: The End Is Where We Begin (MP3 Music)
Lyrically The End is a step backward from Masquerade. Trevor baffles me as a songwriter: some of his lyrics are amazing, and some are amazingly bad. Lines like "Don't play me like a 3DS" will be irrelevant next year. The introduction and "outroduction" complete with computerized vocals were cheesy as well. The lyrics waver between inspired (So Far Gone, title track, Be Somebody) to indecipherable (Courtesy Call, I Get Wicked). Another problem is track order: the songs feel like they're on shuffle, playing back-to-back with little cohesiveness.
The albums's sound is throwback TFK: rock with rap tossed in and a few slower tracks. Album standouts include War of Change, Be Somebody, All I Need to Know, Courtesy Call, and Light up the Sky.
This was just a decent album for TFK, not near the excellence of Welcome to the Masquerade or their other big album, 2003's Phenomenon. It's definitely worth buying if you're a big TFK fan (especially of their old sound).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album to listen all the way through, August 13, 2013
This review is from: The End Is Where We Begin (MP3 Music)
My favorite songs are Wicked and Be Somebody. The intro and outro also are a great addition to this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and entertaining., June 23, 2013
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
This is my very first TFK CD. I must say that every song is unique and very enjoyable. I now want to buy the first cd they released. This is not my "favorite type of music", but it's a nice change from the metal, rock stuff I listen to on a daily basis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for a gift, June 15, 2013
This review is from: End Is Where We Begin (Audio CD)
This was purchased for a gift for a high school boy. He said he loved it. The reviews were good, but I did not listen to it.

The End Is Where We Begin