5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, moving memoir
Published on March 26, 2007 by R.G. Masons

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too drawn out.
I chose to read this after reading A Reliable Wife which I had found to be stunning with its imagery. This was a disappointment in that the imagery that had made Wife so amazing was overdone here and made the book feel like ramblings rather than a story. The story buried in the words was a good one. But I do feel as though it got lost as I had some trouble staying...
Published on February 16, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, moving memoir, March 26, 2007
This is a wonderfully constructed story of a harrowing Southern childhood. Mr. Goolrick builds his story sentence by elegant sentence, and even in the face of the most horrible childhood events manages remarkable compassion toward his parents and the way they've ruined his life. The book is filled with warmth and humor as well, and many keen-eyed observations of a well-bred American family gone wildy wrong. Moving and inspiring, you'll think about this book after you turn the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, if painful, book., April 25, 2007
I was drawn to this book because it seemed to be the most recent addition to the "dysfunctional family" genre which often captivates me. However, this memoir transcends this genre in that it is not written for shock value or the easy laugh, but appears to be a genuine attempt to evoke an era in the south, and to come to terms with a life that should have been glorious, but was horrific. Robert Goolrick's parents are perhaps the guiltiest, most wrong-headed, unforgiveable couple that have graced the pages of literature. Their actions and their decision about how to deal with their sensitive, gifted child wrought such power and devastation. Here, Robert Goolrick articulates in a way that is both gripping and poetic, how one human being has navigated a difficult and confusing life and continues to live it, I would say, heroically. It is fortunate for the reader that although his parents have shredded his psyche they were unable to obliterate his honesty or his talent.
This book reminds me of Susan Minot's wonderful fictional account of her childhood, Monkeys.

5.0 out of 5 stars My hometown., March 27, 2007
I finished my father's copy of Mr. Goolrick's book with in a few hours of picking it up. It is, quite simply, engrossing. Mr. Goolrick's story is sometimes incredibly difficult to read due to it's emotional intensity and rawness. He does not censor, dilute, or gloss over any of the emotions or events of his life.

For me, one of the more interesting aspects of this book is that most of it is set in my hometown. I recognized a few of the people on these pages (including Mrs. Lachman's crazy son who is still crazy and terrified me as a child. Still does, to be honest. A couple of months ago, he almost blew up his house.).

"The End of the World as We Know It" is a brutally honest, brave book. If you have ties to Lexington, have fun playing spot the town eccentrics. Lord knows, we have our fair share.

5.0 out of 5 stars He forgives his hateful parents. Maybe he forgives himself., April 5, 2007
There are all kinds of beatings. Among the "better" classes, belts and fists are unthinkable. The weapon of choice is generally words, but it can veer into sexual abuse. And the damage is generally to a child's self-esteem and sense of safety.

The worst thing about these assaults? The parents "know better." Indeed, if they heard about a neighbor's child being verbally or sexually abused, they'd be shocked. Who knows? They might even intervene.

So why are these parents blind to their own cruelty?

They're drunk.

"My father died because he drank too much." That's the first sentence of Robert Goolrick's memoir. The second? "Six years before, my mother had died because she drank too much." The third? "I drank too much."

If you drink, if you are the child of a drunk or have drunks among your family and friends, this is not shocking news to you --- alcohol is a kind of misery that seems to love company.

But even if drunks are your lot, I doubt you know the kind of depravity that Goolrick describes here. "My mother and father presented a perfect picture to the world, a happy, witty, charming young couple who were madly in love, and did nothing but have fun," he writes. And so it was. His father was Virginia gentry, a college history professor. His mother was a beauty, well read, a lady; she wore gloves and powder. At the Goolricks' cocktail parties, they served cheese straws and cucumber sandwiches, and the guests laughed heartily at their stories.

And his father ended up with rats cavorting on the Persian carpets.

"Somebody once said to me that all families were either about the parents or about the children," Goolrick notes. "Ours was about their parents." And yet, through the first half of this memoir, the dominant note is forgiveness. Alone of the three Goolrick children, Robert got nothing from his parents. He won fellowships to pay his way through school, where he compiled a brilliant record; they didn't seem to notice. He paid for their house; they never thanked him.

Why does Goolrick forgive these wretched, thoughtless, insufferable people?

Because, when he was four years old, something happened.

I'm not going to say what it was --- Goolrick artfully structures this taut (213 pages), unsettlingly elegant book so you're well into the home stretch before he reveals the awful deed --- but its effect is devastating. That is, it's the defining event of Goolrick's life. It leads to drugs and cutting and suicide attempts and desperate sex --- all the stations of the self-loathing cross.

The title of this book is ironic. In the song, the lyrics go: "It's the end of the world as we know it/And I feel fine." But at no point in these pages --- not even at the end --- does Robert Goolrick feel fine. For whatever reason, he is unable to get past the damage his parents inflicted --- and then ignored. Given that, the writing of this book is a Herculean achievement.

So why push this sad, ugly story on you?

Because you are a drunk, and maybe my words will get you to read this book, and this book will stop you cold and make you realize not only what you are doing to yourself but the spectacular damage you are committing on your loved ones --- especially your kids.

Because you have a drunk in your family or social circle, and you've been pretending it's not really so great a problem, because God forbid you should do something uncomfortable and intervene --- well, maybe this book will be your wake-up call.

Or because you are the child of a drunk and you have been victimized in ways you can barely admit to yourself, much less share with others. Because you need help and won't get it because, in the twisted logic of these things, you're convinced that what happened to you is your fault, and deserved. Because, in the end, you feel so alone it's a victory every time you get through the day.

Robert Goolrick's among the walking wounded. But against all odds, he's walking. In his garbage dump of a life, that's a flower. And for others who see only "a veil of human misery over everything," that should be inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shattering - I KNEW these people, February 11, 2010
A review in the form of a mini-memoir: Killing time in an airport newsstand recently, I saw a novel "by Robert Goolrick." Not a common name; I looked for a picture and said, "Yes, that's Robbie Goolrick all right." When I got home, I looked on Amazon and read about this book. I bought it the next day, but it was six weeks before I could bring myself to open it.

As a college senior in Lexington I had more to do than most with the "townies," because theater was what I did, and my all-male school relied on locals to play the women's parts. Thus I got to know the three brilliant Goolrick kids: Chester B. Jr., always called just "B"; Robbie who wrote this book; and their preternaturally-mature-for-her-age little sister Lindlay. I don't think I was in their home, and met their parents, more than once; but for a middle-class California kid bowled over by the quirky sophistication of the Southern gentry, once was enough.

And then, 40 years later, to read this book and find out what was behind this glittering surface . . . I can't imagine anyone reading this book and not being shaken to the core, but I can't find the words for its impact on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tolstoy was right, I guess...., May 15, 2007
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Robert Goolrick's memoir is a stunning acknowledgement of Tolstoy's view.

I've been reading a lot of memoirs lately, mostly by people in the "baby boomer" age. Most have been very good. And, all have concentrated on the parent-child connection, or, in some cases, the lack of connection. After finishing each book, I'm reminded of the scene in the movie "In and Out", where Emily, the character played by Joan Cusack, screams out, "Is EVERYBODY [..]?!". I want to yell, "Did EVERYBODY have rotten childhoods!?"

But of all the "rotten childhoods" depicted in the latest rash of memoirs, no one had it rougher than young Robert Goolrick. Sexually assaulted at the age of four by his drunken father, the attack was hushed by his mother and grandmother. Goolrick hints at more attacks by his father.

Robert grows up bi-sexual, unable to sustain a relationship with either sex. His parents, by their cruel,on-going, thoughless, drunken actions, had ruined their child's life.

Not everyone should be a parent; clearly the Goolrick couple shouldn't have had pets, let alone human children.

The book is beautifully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad, but so lovely, May 17, 2007
Gillian B. Cieri (West Palm Beach, FL) - See all my reviews
I found it hard to put down this book. I laughed and cried while reading it, and some parts made me gasp with their emotion. Other reviewers have already commented on the author's terrible experiences with his parents, but one part that struck me was when he says, early on in the book, that he wishes that everyone could be a part of his family. He is at a funeral when he has this thought, and he is recalling the good memories of his extended family, much of whom he adored (aunts, a grandmother). The author experienced wonderful childhood moments and had good people with him at times.

Of course, what his parents did is unforgiveable and ultimately leaves him wounded and messed up for life. I just wanted to add that I think that the sweet childhood memories are just as beautifully written and poignant as the sad and terrible ones. Nostalgia is sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot-On Reminiscence of Time and Place, June 3, 2012
I downloaded this to Kindle based on the recommendation of a friend without even knowing what it was about. I found a remarkably precise portrait of a long-gone Southern middle class that I recognized, from the endless cocktail parties and endless cigarettes to the fiercely protected privacy of the Southern family. The images and scents and feelings the author conjures up seem so real and so close (Chanel Number 5 and dress shops and highballs, for starters) that I can't help but wonder what terrible thing I might have missed that was happening in neighboring homes. As one of his friends said: "We knew something had happened. We just didn't know what." While some other reviewers found it meandering, the sometimes stream-of-consciousness reflections are, in my view, a realistic mirror of how memory works. I appreciate that it is as much an accurate account of time and culture as a harrowing remembrance of the fallout from a terrible, inexcusable crime. Kudos to Goolrick for the bravery it took to publish this; if it saves one child from the "soul murder" that is sexual abuse -- or encourages one to speak out -- he will have done a great service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for those in the field of trauma, December 6, 2007
As a psychotherapist who specializes in the treatment of trauma and dissociation, I have read numerous memoirs, but Mr. Goolrick's writing stands above the rest both in the beauty of his language and his authenticity. Stark, poetic and deceptively spare, this memoir deftly moves from the chaos of the external story to the deeply shattered inner world of a survivor of child abuse, neglect and incest. The final chapter is absolutely brilliant - the most profoundly moving description I have ever read of the lived legacy of child abuse for an adult survivor. I wept at the conclusion. Immediately upon finishing, I phoned several colleagues and friends and read the last chapter aloud to them. Mr. Goolrick provides an extraordinarily insightful glimpse into the heart and soul of a survivor (articulating what many of my patients have spent years trying to express) and he does so with sensitivity, insight, intelligence, and yes, even hope - which is referred to as "the persistence of song." Bravo!!! I will continue to share and recommend this book to colleagues and patients alike...

4.0 out of 5 stars Life, is for the living, May 13, 2007
This is a painful truth told by a man-child, victim of abuse caused by familiar alcoholism during a time, where it was almost expected to drink to excess. I hope it was ... healing for the author, and I must admit, I wanted it to be required reading for anybody who has even considered having a child, since, in his final words, it's true: his goal is to save just one child: himself; This book would be useful as a tool to bring up the delicate topic of sexual abuse within a family, and yet, it is also an honest read. Left me both sad and hopeful. Sad, for the pain the author suffered, hopeful, for someone else along the way who might find a way OUT other than cutting or alcoholism.

The End of the World as We Know It: Scenes from a Life
The End of the World as We Know It: Scenes from a Life by Robert Goolrick (Hardcover - March 23, 2007)
$22.95 $9.18