5.0 out of 5 stars The E generation., July 30, 2007
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
As a biology student, I was rather skeptical why Audretsch's "The Entrepreneurial Society" would be relevant to a "contemporary studies" class.

First off, let me say this book is fun. Really fun for a non-natural science book.

Audretsch provides a great way of helping me understand my position in soceity while teasing what and how society was for my parents and grandparents.

Unfortunately, Audretsch will never be on Oprah, but his topics relentlessy are on Oprah'; why my generation has a hard time understanding our parents, why health care can affect my job or lack of one, or why university's and tuition may determine my career choices before I even graduate.

I feel the best therapeutic translator I have for my family is this book. The book serves as a sensible Dr. Phil for white collar and middle class families looking to understand what lays ahead for them.

The book really highlights how and why we are changing under a backdrop of global change and why this ain't my mom's world anymore. Audretsch plunges into why the economy must explicitly change and why this creates tension between traditions and continents.

One chapter in particular was very relevant to my current situation. In his "Not Your Father's University" he offers prophetic insights. A must read for any natural scientist hoping to be successful. I don't really know if he has a natural science background, but he speaks the word of God in this chapter on why and how universities must adapt with knowledge creation, especially for me to get a better job, than under the old system of distant and isolated Ivory Towers of science.

I hate it when people say the book is a must read, but it is. It helps explain what and how we must changes and not necessarily be too routed in the tradition of our father's mold. Rather it is up to us, not the X or Y generation, but the Entrepreneurial generation, to innovate and make the most of a world where the future's only tradition will be to break with past tradition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Schneider's Review of Audretsch's The Entrepreneurial Society, December 9, 2008
Length:: 9:26 Mins

Robert Schneider's review was made as part of a critical review assignment for the Fall 2008 Economics of Entrepreneurship seminar at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, taught by Art Diamond. (The course syllabus stated that part of the critical review assignment consisted of the making of a video recording of the review, and the posting of the review to Amazon.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for college grads, December 23, 2007
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
I received this book as a gift from my CEO and completed the reading in a couple of days and found it to be outstanding. David Audretsch gave an excellent and coherent framework for the fundamental transformation of key economic models and its relationship with key cultural, social, educational and political aspects. Having spent many years with a large and dominant company in the old managed economy and also Silicon Valley ones, I can especially internalize with his insights for that portion of the model.

I feel that this is a must read especially for colleges grads who are stepping into long journeys of global opportunities.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an inspiration!, July 9, 2007
It is close to 4 am and I just finished reading this book. David
Audretsch tells a great story of a silent powerful transformation
sweeping our society. His insightful genius expresses itself as he
blends simple stories, couplets from famous songs, and events from his
life, to narrate a compelling story of the emergence of the
entrepreneurial society and how it is affecting our lives. This book
opens our eyes to a silent transformation happening in our own
neighborhoods.

A generation of economists are trying to grapple with issues such as
globalisation, outsourcing and competitiveness. By going into the very
origins of modern western economies, David offers brilliant insights
into the the hidden processes that are defining our lives today. This
book is a compelling read.

Many thanks to David, for writing this masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Entrepreneurial Society, January 25, 2008
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
Great read. Enjoyed the ability to read about a topic I have limited knowledge. I really got a feel of how this might impact the economy in general. would recommend to any one interested in a fresh view of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved reading this!!!, September 1, 2007
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
Why should we be concerned about the entrepreneurial society at all? This prompted me to read this book. I imagined this book to read like an academic book but to my great surprise, I found that this book wonderfully narrates a story- the story of the world we are living in that is filled with a high degree of uncertainty and a huge number of opportunities. I found this book very interesting.

As more and more people complain that gloablisation is taking jobs away from the developed countries, David Audretsch provides a compelling solution. The solution is to observe how the world around has transformed over the last decades, to understand the evolution of the society from its historic respect for the large corporation to admiration to the small firm, from life-long jobs to self-employment.

This is a story that one would love to listen to-it sounds like a thriller and engages you till the very end. I commend David Audretsch for writing this story in a way that many people can hear and understand. I am looking forward to reading the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 18, 2007
Sameeksha Desai (Washington D.C., USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
David Audretsch chronicles perhaps the most significant shift in modern life and the effects for innovation, productivity and social welfare. The new world is ever-changing and its actors must be responsive in order to compete. He emphasizes the importance of supporting entrepreneurship to achieve economic development, along with some interesting policy insights to do this.

The book makes "entrepreneurship" accessible to a wide audience because it is easy to read, interesting and relevant to things we already know (education, factories, etc.). He demonstrates why it matters - for everybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Assessment on Where the Economy and Jobs are Heading, September 21, 2007
This review is from: The Entrepreneurial Society (Hardcover)
This books is well written for the policy wonk and the concerned citizen. It illustrates why the old guard of economic development struggles to enact better policies in an era where workers seek meaningful jobs and well paying jobs. The personal anecdotes, historical review of past economic challenges, and economic data presented offer a strong argument that we need to begin a new line of policymaking that throws out the old "managed economy" model and experiments with new, small, and highly targeted policies for economic development.

The Entrepreneurial Society
The Entrepreneurial Society by David B. Audretsch (Hardcover - July 2, 2007)
$39.99 $31.03