Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Erased
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on March 20, 2012
For a first-time novel, this is fast-moving and entirely entertaining book. The Erased quickly jumps right into the action, with a father being arrested by shadowy government forces and locked into "rehabilitation center," where he is separated from his wife and child. From there, he is systematically stripped of his identity and forced to work and answer questions for the all powerful system that he has somehow crossed. In no time at all you will start to question the sanity of not just the other inmates, but also the protagonist. What if he's wrong? What if everyone else is just as crazy? And what if they're all sane?Piercy does a deft job of mixing and weaving several different viewpoints, all of them identified by nothing more than the number they have been assigned.

The Erased wears most of its influences right out there in the open, but the author blends them together in a new and interesting way. While on the surface you can identify themes from 1984 and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and healthy amount of Cold-War Conspiracy Theories, what I was most often reminded of was the work of Dan Simmons, specifically his excellent Flashback. Piercy offers up a view of a nearly-there America where owning movies, music or books that aren't approved of can bring strict consequences, incarceration without trial, and no hope of escape, but he also shows us a glimpse of how the technology that can imprison us can also release us.
on April 21, 2013
Let me start by saying that although this book is not perfect I feel compelled to give a five-star rating to make up for another review that has unfairly trashed it for formatting or syntax issues. (It is possible that the book has been updated since that review was written but still it seems unduly harsh.) There may be a few issues that would be caught by a good editor but this book is otherwise well written and well paced. I do think it is meant for a reader who derives pleasure from a certain degree of mystery and open-ended story-telling. The narrative functions in a similar manner to the TV show LOST, for example, where everything doesn't necessarily need to be spelled out or overtly explained in the end. If you can't stand the storytelling of LOST or you don't like psychological, character-driven fiction then you may not like this book. Although there are many references in this book to such classics as 1984, this book is not on that level but it is entertaining all the same. Before anyone attempts to write a negative review of it, I would suggest they at least read to the end of the book as I found it surprisingly fresh and thought-provoking and it is a shame if such negative reviews keep more discerning readers away. Just saying...
on March 8, 2012
There were times at the start of The Erased where I was thoroughly unsure what - if any - relevance the large number of pop cultural references had to the main story. At the same time, I wondered if the the first few chapters were intentionally as hazy as they seemed or by accident. Doubtless many who pick up the book will feel the same way. Having read the book from end to end, I can say that the seemingly insignificant early references pay off down the road and that the fog of the initial chapters is an intentional device that gives way to crystal (and intense) clarity.

The story unravels from the view of multiple characters, all of whom are fully formed. The early chapters of the novel focus primarily on three characters. Ian Culp, whom I feel represents the detached modern everyman, for all of his strength and faults. Then there is Anthony Block. He also represents the everyman, but represents one that actually bothers to care what goes on around him and suffers all the more as a result. I am fairly ashamed to admit that Block was the character I most identified with (you'll see why). Lastly, there is "Professor" T.H. Stockton. I feel no connection to Stockton whatsoever but I know people very much like the Professor...and I wish I didn't. Stockton will make you go from "Right on!" to making your skin crawl to having you cheer "Right on!" all over again.

I feel this book was a good purchase and have recommended it to my friends. The book's faults are minor. At times a bit too much of informal language use for my tastes due to the interior monologue nature of much of the book. Occasionally the writing veered into the kind of expository or technical language that you'll find in even the best of the genre (Ghost in the Shell comes to mind). Such criticisms weren't major enough for me to feel significantly annoyed, just enough for me to not give the novel the five star status I would reserve to the best books ever created. The Erased is a good read with plenty of unexpected moments and a climax that pays off the manic, murky, and idiosyncratic initial chapters quite well.
on March 28, 2012
I really enjoyed this novel! Usually it takes me a while to read a book, but I read this in two days. The use of modern music, places, and events make it so interesting and real, it's as if I'm watching a movie, not reading. The plot is so interesting and thought provoking that I couldn't stop reading because I just had to know what was going to happen next, and to me, that's what makes a novel great.
on April 2, 2012
A great story depicting a not so far fetched future. Told concurrently from multiple perspectives, this novel keeps you on the edge of the page, and demends you to see and understand all sides of the story. The ending leaves you wondering who the antagonists and protagonists really are or who to really root for (or how you wish the future might look)...in other words it was a great story that left me wanting more.
on August 28, 2013
It's easy for haters to dump on Piercy based on his writing in a popular genre. But I disagree. He commands you as he draws you into his tale Great characters. Good flow and narration. Love how he puts art into his Kindle title, too. Such a fun read. And remember, just because the genre is packed, doesn't mean someone can bring something fresh to the table. And Piercy does. Lovin it. Way to go.
on June 12, 2012
I very much enjoyed this excellent sci-fi thriller. Each character is very well crafted with equal attention given. I found myself very much invested in discovering more about them as the plot unfolded.
The style reminded me a lot of Vonnegut, each scene well described from which ever character's point of view I was reading.
I like the use of pop culture references to set the tone in places. The overall story left me thinking about the book for days afterwards and, although I don't normally re-read books very often, I can see myself picking this one up again.
on February 26, 2013
I have a Kindle Paperwhite and this book is the first one I have encountered with a fixed font. And not one that I like to read. For whatever reason I could change the size but not the style.

As for the content, I read about four pages and the author just kept switching back and forth between writing in past tense and present tense. Extremely annoying. This author needs a proofreader badly.
on March 31, 2012
I couldnt get into this book, read a few pages but not for me, thank goodness I didnt have to pay for it.