5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation of Great Speeches by Great Americans
Published on November 22, 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not an easy read
If you purchase this book as a reference book, you will not be disappointed, However, if you expect that it will also provide readable and interesting explanations or historic hand-holding, you will be at least somewhat disappointed. Considering who the author is and who wrote the forward, I expected more and was a bit disappointed. Still, I do now have a composite of...
Published on May 10, 2012 by Bob Collinsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation of Great Speeches by Great Americans, November 22, 2010
This review is from: The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own (Hardcover)
I am a person who never seems to have enough time to actually sit down and read a book. If it is not on a web page, I don't usually pay attention. But, I am also a fan of history and very active in politics which made this book a "must read" for me. It takes some of the best speeches from American history and lays them out with story and background from the times that they delivered. The way that these speeches are presented here will give you a great idea of how they affected the people of their day as well as relevance in today's world.

Aside from the great speeches it also contains great reference materials from the list of Presidents and Vice-Presidents, a time-line on events through American history and a reference DVD with tons of information.

I would recommend that you buy this book for yourself, but it is also a great source of information if you have any school age children or grandchildren in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Book, November 22, 2010
sally singletary (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first heard about this book I couldn't believe it hadn't already been written. It serves not only as a great read but also as an important reference to our Nation's history. Jackie puts each document in context to it's place in history, giving the reader additional insight and appreciation for each of these speeches and the time in which they were written. It has also served as a great conversation starter with our school age children. Jackie's style of writing is both interesting and informative and unlike many other historical books, this one does not drone on or bore the reader. I am thankful to have this compilation of great speeches and documents in one book and will enjoy referring to it again and again over the years. It will always be relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have...Clarifying American Exceptionalism with the Real Writings, November 12, 2010
The book is a must read. It provides a vehicle to meet our cultural need to understand and appreciate the actual perspectives of those who have defined our American story. The book picks up at our Nation's inception and travels through time as some of our greatest men and women articulate America's unique place and purpose...The exceptionalism underpinning America, our people, values and maturing understanding is made so clear in reading those 25 documents. And armed with a read, one can affirmatively debate America's greatness in a world of muddled and misleading argument about the richness of this country. Kudo's to Mrs. Cushman and all those who helped bring this book to market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable book!, November 12, 2010
Wow! Ironically enough I received this beautiful book just in time! My 5th grader came home while studying The Bill of Rights and The Constitution in Social Studies. I was able to use this book to teach my child what's really important from American History. I was thrilled to be able to supplement her history lesson with this beautiful well written book by Jackie Cushman. In our house, now we have a morning tradition to read a clip from history while waiting on the morning school bus! This book is invaluable. This intriguing book should be on EVERYONE'S coffee table in America. I highly recommend it! Lea Tranakos

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Own Reference Guide, November 21, 2010
The Essential American is a book that should be on everyone's shelf. Ms. Cushman has taken all the essential speeches and documents from our country's rich and diverse history and put them under one cover. If you are the parent of a school-age child this is the most complete history book you will ever own and it will prove time and again to be a valuable reference for your children. From the best-known to the most obscure, they are all covered here, if not in the book itself then on the DVD accompaniment. This is the perfect Christmas gift for every history buff on your list!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift!!, November 19, 2010
Jackie Gingrich Cushman has done every busy American an enormous service: putting the library of the American spirit in one easily accessible, delightful book. At a time when the outer limits of the American federal government are being tested, these speeches and documents provide a contextual reminder that the government envisioned by our founders was both small and limited. In an age when government sprawl is creeping into every crevice of our lives, I took particular comfort in George Washington's farewell address, which is actually (and aptly) titled "Warnings of A Parting Friend." He wrote: "Towards the preservation of your government, and the permanency of your present happy state, it is requisite, not only that you steadily discounstenance irregular oppositions to its stated authority, but also that you resist with care the spirit of innovation upon its prinicples, however specious the pretexts. One method of assault may be to effect, in the forms of the Constitution, alterations which will impair the energy of the system and thus to undermine what cannot be directly overthrown." If Washington's sagacious words inspire both a rage at the current state of American governmental affairs and the fire of patriotism required to fight it, this book is for you .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential American, November 21, 2010
Jackie Cushman has compiled a wonderful collection of speeches, some legendary and some little known, spanning the time period from the founding of our nation to the present. As a history lover, I found Mrs. Cushman's introduction to each speech fascinating and informative, wrapping the speech in its historical context and giving the reader insight into the personal background that influenced each speaker. Jackie has pulled together twenty-five inspiring speeches that invoke the spirit of independence we all honor and the freedom we seek to maintain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the Essential American Resource!, November 21, 2010
Jackie Gingrich Cushman has done a wonderful job making our countries' most important historical documents interesting and relevant to today's readers. I hope my young children will use this book as a resource to guide them through their studies and to understand how these important documents still affect our lives today. Hindsight is 20/20 and Mrs. Cushman has made sure that vision is clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a treasure!, November 21, 2010
I was so pleased when I received this book in the mail and couldn't wait to get started. This book is so inspiring and shows our American heritage at its finest. From the Constitution of the United States to presidential speeches, Jackie does a fine job of explaining the history that led up to each event. I will enjoy sharing this book with my children as they grow older. Reading The Essential American makes me proud to be an American all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential American, November 14, 2010
This book is truly "essential" for anyone who wants an easy to use, comprehensive resource into the history of the greatest country on earth. It should be on every teacher, homeschooler, indeed, every citizen's bookshelf. Any layman can become a history buff thanks to Jackie Gingrich Cushman. Thankfully, we have a book that has lasting educational value for citizens and noncitizens alike. This should be required reading for any immigrant seeking citizenship. The fact that it is all under one cover with a CD included makes it almost too good to be true. Our legacy as Americans is well-documented and with the threats to our freedom from Islamist terrorists it comes at a critical time in American history.

The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own
The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own by Jackie Gingrich Cushman (Hardcover - November 23, 2010)
$21.95 $12.47