4.0 out of 5 stars B+
I would love to give this book an A but the Kindle version is lacking a Table of Contents. This makes it very difficult to navigate.
Otherwise, the book is a very useful tool in planning.

Edited 2/26/14:
Published 10 months ago by AC

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for high school geared for upper elementary!
Disappointing!!! I teach middle and high school social studies. I don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it. I was really excited to order this and then in Less than 100 pages didn't find what I wanted
Published 5 months ago by M. E. Thornsbury

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for high school geared for upper elementary!, July 15, 2014
This review is from: The Essential Questions Handbook: Hundreds of Guiding Questions That Help You Plan and Teach Successful Lessons in the Content Areas (Paperback)
( I know it was only 11.00 but still...) The suggested questions are comprehension in style not necessarily critical thinking. It would also be nice if you knew the book was geared toward 4th-8th grade in the description The social studies questions all revolve around American history which is fine because in upper elementary typically that is what is taught.

4.0 out of 5 stars B+, February 19, 2014
Otherwise, the book is a very useful tool in planning.

Edited 2/26/14:
I hate leaving a bad review for something so I won't change the star rating, but DON'T buy the KINDLE version of this book. It lack a table of contents, as mentioned, and several pages are repeated. For example, the same questions are given for the water cycle and for weather. This happens in other parts of the book. So now I have to look through the whole thing and the lack of table of contents just makes it worse. I wish I could return this and get the printed version :(

5.0 out of 5 stars good resource, April 17, 2014
Lots of good examples for essential questions. A good starting point to elaborate and create questions for lots of subjects.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for backward design, April 14, 2014
I bought this for my teachers to model essential questions as they were creating their own units. All agreed that it was super helpful, even if they didn't use the exact EQs in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, November 14, 2013
Barbara (Cincinnati, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This will give me help when I'm struggling to articulate "why" we have to teach the objectives we are given.

4.0 out of 5 stars Common Core is here, September 28, 2013
The book was purchased to help out the teachers at my school with planning and preparation. We've glanced through the book, but I plan to go into depth with our first year teachers to help them prepare unit plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Resource, September 23, 2013
This book is a good resource especially if you are writing a unit. I plan to use this for all subject areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Teachers Embracing Marzano and iObservation, June 16, 2013
This guideline saves HOURS of editing and formulating questions that dovetail into Common Core. I purchased two copies : one for me and one for best friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to help start some question ideas, August 31, 2014
Not quite what I expected as far as essential questions. Wanted for Math sections is only a couple of pages. Good to help start some question ideas

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 10, 2014