5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for the current times
What makes a person ethical and how do you stay ethical in a world full of difficult decisions? This book looks at exactly how easy it is to start down the slippery slope of unethical behavior and offers good strategies to avoiding "the traps" we can all fall prey to. It should be required reading for Presidential candidates and Wall Street CEOs.
Published on September 27, 2008 by D. Woollard

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Disappointment!
I bought this book with great excitement thinking I would get some new insights into why well intentioned people get involved in or collude in unethical behavior. Alas, this book falls far short of my expectations.

Published on November 25, 2008 by Petula

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for the current times, September 27, 2008
This review is from: The Ethical Executive: Becoming Aware of the Root Causes of Unethical Behavior: 45 Psychological Traps that Every One of Us Falls Prey To (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for These Shaky Times, October 7, 2008
This is a timely title, given that many of our current problems were created by unethical behavior. Firmly grounded in science and practicality, and written in an accessible format, you'll find this a landmark primer on behavior in business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for a textbook, June 11, 2009
Red Bikini (Hialeah, FL United States) - See all my reviews
We used this in our Ethics class at the grad school level, and for a textbook, it was highly readable. In fact, I can actually say I learned a little bit and looked at myself differently after reading it. I always assumed I was above average ethically and after reading, I'm not so sure. The anecdotes are what make it so interesting. Don't be confused by the title. The actual book is not nearly as verbose or unweildy as the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Can Benefit, October 20, 2008
While this book is aimed at business readers, everyone can benefit from the insights it offers about our moral and ethical choices. Rooted in psychological research, THE ETHICAL EXECUTIVE helps the reader understand how susceptible he or she may be to authority (even when wrong), to conforming to group expectations, to blaming others, to becoming confused by conflicting loyalties, and to over forty other traps to which the naive person can easily fall prey. I felt personally enlightened by this humane and thorough treatment of a subject that is of importance in everyone's daily life.
--Sena Jeter Naslund, author of AHAB'S WIFE, FOUR SPIRITS, and ABUNDANCE, A NOVEL OF MARIE ANTOINETTE

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reminder!, January 18, 2009
THE ETHICAL EXECUTIVE is an excellent review of all the "right" things we know or were taught at home, in school, at church, or that we simply know deep inside ourselves. What THE ETHICAL EXECUTIVE does is put all those ethical pointers in one place for us to remind ourselves. I've got a copy close beside me on my bookcase. I gave my daughter a copy, (she'll be starting an MBA program soon). I gave a copy to a business executive I know. This is the kind of book I want to keep close to my right elbow. I recommend it for everyone's bookshelf!!

Linda Busby Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Read It If You're an Executive ... Read It If You're Not, November 9, 2008
K. Yocom (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book relevant and helpful even though I don't sit in the corner office. I particularly like the way the authors discuss each "trap" in a straightforward, easily digestible format. They spend just a couple of pages on each one, yet each of the traps provides so much food for thought. You'll find yourself thinking about the examples for days. This book would make a great gift because it's so readable, timely, and thought-provoking. Definitely a must-read for anyone who works in an organization, whether corporate, academic, or non-profit.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Disappointment!, November 25, 2008

The Ethical Executive does not ground any of its (many) assertions in any real theory. It does not even really define ethics or morality so the reader has to make many of his or her own assumptions. While the chapters are easy to read, the stories quoted are often dated, - ho hum Enron, Worldcom, Adelphia - and no really new insights are provided. The systemic issues of unethical behavior are not really addressed nor are their ideas of how to overcome the many obstacles the Authors describe.
I think the Authors rushed to get this text on the bookshelves in time for Christmas and or to capitalize on the current financial environment. What could have been a really good idea, i.e. the thoughtful analysis of why ethical traps exists, has resulted in a chatty breeze through far more profound issues than the Authors give credit. Forty-five traps are too much in anyone's book!
Maybe version two will be more thoughtful and delve deeper into some important ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think before you act, February 3, 2009
Paul Hersey has once again shown that he is a key influence thinker in the Organizational Behavior world. The Ethical Executive is a fast-read that gets you thinking about choices you make every day...and the choices you may be asking your team to make. If you're questioning someone's behavior and whether to trust them, this is a realistic view of patterns of behavior and how to interpret them. I tagged the book in several places to show people I coach how their actions present themselves thru these written words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
great work

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, May 7, 2014
This book was required reading for my ethics class. I thought this book did an excellent job at explaining how ethical lapses occur. The book is a quick read, well-written, and highly informative.