Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon October 11, 2009
The Everafter was like a puzzle that got put together page by page. I loved the author's view of what happens when someone dies and how it's so so so personalized to someone's own life and existence. It reminded me a little of The Lovely Bones in the sense that this is what I wish the Lovely Bones was like, I did not like that book one bit, but this one, this one was amazing!

The book opens in a place that Madison calls Is, she doesn't know where she is or how she got there but she sees all these objects that she had in her life. They allow her to go back and re-experience certain times in her life as a participant or as an observer. Through this we get a glimpse into Madison's life and all the people and things that were important to her. And Madison finds out what has happened to her that brings her to this strange in between place.

The secondary characters were great, from Gabe, Madison's boyfriend, to her best friend Sandra to her her sister and all the other people that come in and out of her life to make it what it is. They all brought out different sides of Madison to make her a really 3-D and believable character. From her jealously of Gabe's ex-girlfriend to consoling Sharon over her crazy mother, or trying to hide her illness at her sister's wedding, we really get to know Madison.

I loved the mystery aspect of the book, how did Madison die? Which of the strange things in her life added up to her death, or was it a freak accident? I definitely was surprised when I found out the answer!

I thought The Everafter shares great imagination, passion, mystery, and one glimpse of what the end really looks like. What a great story!
on July 12, 2010
Madison wakes up in nothingness--a blank void with a seemingly random group of objects floating around her. The only thing she knows for sure is that she is dead, though she does not know how or when she died. Madison eventually figures out that the objects floating with her are objects she lost when she was alive. By touching each object, she can return to the moment and relive the events. Madison obsessively touches these objects, traveling back to relive these lost moments of life and discover how she died.

The mystery of this story was interesting and kept my attention, but what will stay with me far longer is the way the author described mundane events to highlight how truly precious they are. Though I did not experience the same events Madison experienced in her life, I have experienced the same emotions: the feeling of comfort when your mother comes and makes everything right again, the feeling of jealousy raw and frustrating, the joy of unrestrained friendship, the mixed anger and sadness at the falling out with a good friend. All of these little emotions were perfectly described and made both Madison and my own memories come alive. The epilogue was bittersweet and a perfect way to close the story.

Another interesting point was how the author managed to create a fully realized character at not just one stage of her life, but from young childhood through age 17. Madison's child-self that we see in her object flashbacks was as fully rendered as her 17-year-old self. Further, these stages mesh logically to create a believable history and progression of a person. A notable achievement.

I highly recommend this book, especially to readers who enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why. Just be prepared with a box of tissues.
on November 1, 2014
I first read this book in 2010 and immediately fell in love with it. I even read it six more times that following week. But I want to tell you how much I love this book because like you said yourself has object attachment well so do I, and I can relate to that as well as wondering what it would be die and what will happen to me afterwards. This book has helped me in some ways be less afraid to die because for some reason I am so worked up about death that I don't pay attention to living and the Everafter has helped me in my life time so far and realize how much people take there life for granted and how we need to enjoy the little amount of time we have on this earth. But with all do respect I would really want to know what happens to Madison and Gabe when they get to the Everafter? Does Madison find her parents? Do she and Gabe have like a ghost marriage? But I really just wanted to thank you for wrighting this most magnificent book and I really hope you have more book available for me to read!!!
on February 17, 2011
At first I thought the book was a little slow. It was written in a way that took a little getting used to - mainly Maddy being a .... well a nothing... a ghost of sorts that travels to places in her past life where she lost item. It is a quick read and I soon found that it was very enjoyable. Each scene is real and you really do get a sense of the characters even though you are with them so shortly. Overall it is a good, short read and very well done.
on December 26, 2012
Everafter tells a story of Maddison who finds her self in a place that "is" knowing only one thing for certain she is dead. No memories to tell her who she is, why she is where she is, or where she is. The only thing she sees is darkness and the things she lost (though how or where or why she lost such items she doesn't know)

This story is about a girl who through the items she lost see glimpses of her life, pieces together the person who she was, and get the unique chance to change what happened.

The book Everafter is a magical read. In the span of 248 pages you are right with Maddison trying to piece together a life forgotten all the while trying to solve the question; how did Maddison Stanton die? The book is dark as it does go into death and looks at the choices we, as people, make everyday. With Maddison the reader gets to experience the feeling of loss and also the joy in the memories we have. And greater still look into the choices we make and the things we say (or don't) and how they can impact our future. One of the greatest questions is if one can change the past, will it alter the future? Will wrongs be righted? Or is our future already set, our destiny carved for us?

This is a story which delves into all of that, and even in reading the darkest of Maddison's moments you still won't be able to stop reading and even when the story has be told you won't be able to forget. You'll cry, and laugh, cry, fall deeply in love, and in the end find peace.It's a moving book worth every penny, and it may just change your life. Dark yes, but a story meant to be told and one all can learn from.
on January 29, 2016
I don't read. at all. but for some odd reason when my class went to the book fair this book caught my eye and I said sure lets try this and I absolutely loved this. I've only read 3 books in my high school career unless we read as a class but this one I loved the most! I want more!
on March 3, 2010
I finished this book some time back and I loved it, but when it came to writing a review I was stuck. I didn't know where to begin. This is not a book where you can simply tell the plot and what worked and what didn't. I wasn't sure where it was going in the beginning but as it progressed I knew that The Everafter would definitely be a great read.

Let's give it a try. As the book opens Madison is trapped in a bubble or a tiny space of nothingness. She knows she is dead. She sees objects all around her, some of them are really of little worth-like a sweatshirt, a bracelet, orchids, or so it seems, until she connects to the objects that take her back to the moments of her life where she lost them. It finally dawns on her that she is surrounded by lost things, things she lost when she was alive and these things are her only means to go back and experience it once again, to find out what really happened to her and why she is dead when she is just 17 years old.

As she goes through the moments of her life through the lost things, she remembers she has a boyfriend, a best friend and a family. What starts as an effort to remember and piece together her life, turns out into figuring out the meaning of life and death.

There are moments of brilliance in Amy Huntley's writing. I especially remember a couple of chapters on Emily Dickinson's poems and how Madison connects them to her life and death and the kind of `aha' moment when she discovers what it means. I don't like poetry because I don't have the patience to understand it. But this book made me want to do that, to understand the depth and feelings that the poet might have wanted to convey. That for me is powerful writing.

The book raises questions that we sometimes think about but don't say out loud. What happens after we die? And although I don't think the intention of this book is to answer that, it does makes Madison realize the meaning of life and death and moving on.

As the author Amy Huntley puts it

I realized that Madison's quest to make peace with moving on to The Everafter is really the same battle that everyone goes through as they grow and become someone new.

Read it to really know what I'm talking about.

Highly Recommended.
VINE VOICEon October 18, 2009
I am always on the look for something new, something different, unlike anything I have read before. Thats a tall order for someone who reads all the time. This book fits that mold.

I have to admit that the majority of my interest in this book was based on the cover artwork. How gorgeous is that cover?! When you see it up close, there is a pearlescent quality to it as well that makes the book that much more alluring.

Beyond the cover and into the first pages, this book stands out and draws the reader into this amazing world. Author Amy Huntley is able to paint a very visual picture of this world that our main character Madison finds herself in.

The book opens on Madison in a place that she refers to as "Is". She isn't sure what has happened, why she is there, or what she is supposed to be doing there, but she knows one thing for sure, she has died.

In this magical place there are glowing objects, exactly like the orchid on the cover of the book. All of these objects are things that she had lost over her lifetime. She finds that when she remembers the circumstances under which she lost an item, she can go back to that moment and relive it, or observe it.

We learn all about Madison's life through her visits to lost objects. Some memories are from infancy, while others are from when she was 17, right before she died. Through these visits we learn about the most important people in Madison's life as well. Her boyfriend Gabe is in a lot of her memories, which is good because he is dreamy to read about! We also learn a lot about her best friend Sharon, who is tortured in a co-dependent relationship with her mother.

As we progress along in the story it becomes more important to find out how Madison met her untimely demise. I was actually shocked.

When all is said and done, this novel will stick with you. A young adult book with depth and originality.

This book was epic! Read it!
on October 1, 2009
Something about The Everafter just made me have to keep reading. It was addicting! The plot was so unique, it was amazing. I admit, at first I was having a lot of trouble getting into it, but pretty soon I was so into it I didn't want to put it down. For a debut novel, Huntley's writing style is amazing, everything just flows and the story line and characters are really developed when the plot doesn't really give to a lot of development. Each chapter alternated between Maddy talking about life after she has died and her memories from different ages that she is experiencing. The alternating chapters was a great way to build up the story and by the end I was so engrossed I read straight through it last night. I was shocked to find out how she died... I don't want to give anything away so you'll have to read it to find out! Maddy was a great character and even though through most of the book she was narrating as already being dead, I felt like she was alive and well and someone I knew. It was creepy how well everything tied together in the end, as well. I was worried that Maddy's death had been built up and built up until the suspense was killing me, that I was worried the ending would be a disappointment, but I was completely wrong, it was fabulous. I'm really looking forward to reading more by Amy Huntley!

Death is something that has always fascinated me, I mean where do you go after you die? Huntley's perspective was really interesting and Maddy's sister, Kristen, brought up some really great points about death itself. The writing style of this book might not be for everything, but if at first it seems confusing, KEEP READING! It's completely worth it. In addition, I really loved the cover, it just went so perfectly with the book I couldn't imagine it having a different one. Covers with bright color contrasts always draw me to them. Like the stark red apple on the black cover of Twilight, this luminous, white flower really pops against the deep purple background. I highly recommend you go get a copy of The Everafter, it's amazing and Maddy's story will stick in my mind for a long time.

Rating;

Plot: 10/10

Characters: 9.5/10

Ending: 10/10

Enjoyment: 9.5/10

Cover: 10/10

___

Overall: 49/50 = 98%
on October 25, 2015
the ever after was a great book. I loved the ending when Madison finds out how she died. absolutely could not put this book down. I would love a sequel Maddy and Gabes life in the ever after. totally am recommending to my classmates