More About the Author
Known to audiences across the country from her regular appearances on The Dr. Phil Show, as well as national stints on Fox News, NPR, and Court TV Radio Television, Areva Martin is one of television's most in-demand legal experts/analysts.
A quotable authority on workplace, disability rights, education, custody and women's issues, this accomplished and multi-award winning lawyer, syndicated columnist, author and public speaker is also quoted and or featured on the pages of publications ranging from the Los Angeles Daily Journal to Cookie Magazine to Redbook and the LA Times.
The founding and managing partner of Martin & Martin, LLP, Areva has built a reputation for ACTION. ??In addition to positioning her firm as one of the premier African-American female owned firms in LA, Areva has developed a multidisciplinary civil practice, which serves some of the nation's top corporations, non-profit organizations, governmental entities and high net-worth individuals. She is also President and co-founder of Special Needs Network, Inc. (SNN), a non-profit launched specifically to support families with special needs children.
In addition to being a sought after legal expert, Areva is also an inspiring author. Her second book, The Everyday Advocate, is scheduled for release by Penguin books in early 2010. Her first book, Journey to the Top, is a must-read for female professionals interested in achieving the ultimate career success.
Areva's notable awards and achievements include:
* 2007 Woman of the Year Award from Los Angeles County
* 2007 Neighborhood Hero from Bank of America
* 2008 Smart Cookie Award from Cookie Magazine
* 2008 Women of Worth Award from L'Oreal Paris
* 2008 Trailblazer Award from First AME Church
* 2008 Leadership Award from California Legislative Black Caucus
* 2008 Power Hero Award from the United Cerebral Palsy Research Institute
* 2008 Professional Excellence Award from the Association of University Women
* 2009 Power PAC Award from LawPac
She is the only African-American woman and attorney on the California Legislative Blue Ribbon Commission on Autism and is the Chair of several organizations, including:
* Chair of the South Los Angeles Autism Regional Task Force for
the California Senate Select Committee on Autism.
* Founding member and Chair of the Ebell of Los Angeles'
Women in Leadership Department
* Chair of the California Legislative Black Caucus Foundation, Inc.
Areva graduated with honors from both the University of Chicago and Harvard Law School. She is a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the American Bar Association and the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles. ??She is a native of St. Louis, Missouri and currently resides in Los Angeles with her family. ??