Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

on May 4, 2010
Areva Martin, the author of "Everyday Advocate" is both a passionate advocate for the autism community and a successful, Harvard-educated attorney. It is not surprising that this book connects with both the head and heart as Ms. Martin describes her personal journey to advocacy after her youngest son's autism diagnosis at eighteen months (he is now ten years old). Her courageous fight on behalf of her son now benefits the larger autism and developmental disability community and those who care for them as it is transferred through the expertise found in this book. In addition to Ms. Martin's compelling personal story, this book provides practical "real-world" applications and advocacy tools that will embolden and empower you and your family as you face special challenges as you fight for your loved ones. This book, written in plain English, will meet you where you are in your journey....but you will either develop or strengthen your advocacy skills with its insights and recommendations.

Be clear, this is a very practical book.....after reading it, you will be stronger and armed for your possible struggles on behalf of your loved one(s) and work with doctors, school districts, among others. This book really does the "heavy lifting" for those who need and seek help. There is an overwhelming abundance of information available on the "worldwide web" and Ms. Martin helps you sort out and manage this information overload. I highly recommend this book; I only wish this book had been available earlier (I have a middle-aged sister with Downs Syndrome and Autism) but better late than never!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2010
The Everyday Advocate lays out a road map to find and secure the many resources available for my child. Author Areva Martin gave me the tools to be an educational advocate and get the support my special needs child requires. The book is both empowering and inspiring with a multitude of sources all parents with special needs children should know.

Donna Casey Aira
Parent Advocate
on August 2, 2011
I was really expecting something different when I borrowed this book from the library. 99% of the book was completely useless to me as a parent who has been walking down the autism road for years now. It is far better suited for parents who have just found out their child may have autism.

The author is a neurodiversist and anti-curist and is not afraid to tell you that. I think it's definitely wrong to push these particular beliefs onto parents who are new to autism. This is their journey, not hers.

It was very strange to read in one paragraph that children have been cured from autism and then in another one that there is no cure and you shouldn't go looking for one. This is where neurodiversity comes in: the old mantra 'no one should cure me' and 'there's nothing wrong with me' bit. It's a very odd movement that not everyone agrees with, and this should have been noted in the book if it was going to be brought up.

She tells us in one paragraph that she decided not to use the autism diet for her son because it would deprive her daughter of foods they love--insisting that if one person was on the diet, everyone should be on it. She then concluded that she wasn't going to do this intervention if it only had a slight chance of success. She doesn't tell us whether she did any genetic testing, or a celiac's test, to determine that there would only be a 'slight' chance of success. She passed all of this up so that her daughters wouldn't resent their brother. What a fantastic excuse for being lazy!

It was just too weird that she encourages readers to do their research and find studies of good repute while at the same time quoting the CDC on practically every page. As a self-policed organization it is difficult to find any independent studies not funded by pharmaceuticals that are published by the CDC--or any medical journal for that matter.

Overall, not a great read for anyone, even 'beginners'. If you want real science, read 'children with starving brains' or a similar book. That's where the real answers are.
9393 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I am reading this book as I'm training to become a special education advocate. Having met Arevea and taken her PAM (Parent Advocacy Mentor) training in Los Angeles, I can say this book has been very helpful. I believe that many treatments can be helpful in improving the quality of life and education for persons with developmental delays, so we should always keep trying to help find more treatments, give more support and encouragement and positive feedback for the strengths, and always believe in the possibilities. Areva has touched my heart in encouraging everyone to stand up and speak out for those we love. Thanks, Areva!
on January 30, 2013
on November 28, 2012
Very knowledgeable expert with an autistic child gives helpful first-hand advice. She is a noted speaker and has appeared on OPRAH.
on April 4, 2011
A really big help to anyone just starting out with a child on the Autism Spectrum. A must read.
on June 3, 2010
I thought the book was informative and well written. The author had a lot of good advice and an unique story.

However, the title is what threw me; I was almost not going to purchase the book. The term "autistic child" is offensive to me and the entire autism community. "Child with autism" would have been a much better name! I'm appalled that the author did not know better...
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse