5.0 out of 5 stars A practical handbook you can use for years
Published on September 24, 2009 by Craig Matteson

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Almost Practical
Published on August 9, 2012 by Simo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical handbook you can use for years, September 24, 2009
Writing is a skill that most of us realize we could do better. However, we don't have the time, patience, or need to take an in depth approach to it as an art form. We want to communicate our thoughts and purposes clearly without having to take years of study to learn how to do it. Andrea Lunsford has provided an updated edition of her successful and practical guide on writing; "The Everyday Writer, 4th edition". As the title indicates, her approach is practical. She writes concisely, helpfully, and is never fussy. Yes, as you would expect from a modern day college text, she does recommend the politically correct methods of handling pronouns (using plurals, "he she", and so forth) and job titles (anchor instead of anchorman or anchorwoman). I am from a generation that still remembers what a synecdoche is why and how man can refer to both men and woman without slight, but that is a battle no one wants to fight anymore. It was politically useful to find offense and to demand the mutilation of language as appeasement. But let's move on. You can consider the information in the book is up to date and reliable.

The book is designed wonderfully as a practical handbook. It is spiral bound, has durable covers and tabs that will stand up to years of daily use. The edition uses color very well to not only add variety to the text, but to help you see its organization and find what you are after rather quickly. Inside the front covers you find the "Quick Access Menu" that shows you what each group of colored tabs mean and what is in each of the tabbed sections. The Table of Contents is inside the back cover.

The four green tabs cover "Analyzing and Composing" including a section on college writing, the process of writing, critical thinking and argument, and research. The four orange tabs cover "Usage and Style" including issues of language (including "foreign" languages), the style and grammar of sentences, and punctuation. A yellow tab covers the style recommended by the Modern Language Association. A white tab covers the style recommended by the American Psychological Association, which is influential and widely adopted in the social sciences. Two blue tabs cover issues related to writers for whom English is not their first language and writing for various disciplines including academic writing, the humanities, social sciences, the applied sciences, and business. This last section provides samples of the writing for each discipline. And, thankfully, there is a good index.

A solid text and a practical handbook for anyone who wants help in writing better. It is something you will want to hang onto and use for years.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Ann Arbor, MI

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, step by step process, October 15, 2010
This book is amazing! Not does the book start with the simple parts of grammar, verbs, adj, ect, but it also goes into higher level grammar, sentence structure, clauses, writing with purpose, annotating, ect. I recommend this book to anyone in high school or college. You will learn a ton and not at a bad price for all that is included.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was especially useful when the internet went down and I still needed to write a paper with the resources I had., March 31, 2014
Leyla (United States) - See all my reviews
Generally useful...needed it for a basic English course in college. But I ended up using it for a lot of my classes. It was especially useful when the internet went down and I still needed to write a paper with the resources I had. I am sure there is an updated version of this.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for beginners, September 16, 2013
This review is from: The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update (Spiral-bound)
I skimmed through it and used a few things from it but for the most part, I never use this book

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, September 15, 2013
The book is very helpful, it really gives alot of information, and teaches alot, This book is highly recommended as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, February 6, 2013
This review is from: The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update (Spiral-bound)
This is a very helpful book for English classes and writers. I thought I bought it used but it some how turned up brand new! So much cheaper on here than at my bookstore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Help for the Helpless, December 29, 2012
This review is from: The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update (Spiral-bound)
In my volunteer work, I have to do a lot of writing. Being that it was a struggle for me to get a "B" in English in high school (I never did, and still don't, understand diagramming sentences), this is a handy reference book. Hopefully I'll learn more using it. Its layout is organized and simple to follow. It is loaded with examples to help with understanding all the parts of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't complain, December 25, 2012
Great for the price, not much I can say it was for school so I needed the book and didn't want to pay too much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful source, October 22, 2012
Great book, comes in handy. Has new 2009 mla updates, wonderful source. Perfect resources for learning the correct formats when writing a paper. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful and Almost Practical, August 9, 2012
This review is from: The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update (Spiral-bound)
This little booklet contains a lot of helpful info (not very condensed). However, so many colors and illustrations make me feel uneasy (as if the publisher says "You may be in college, but deep inside you are still a small and innocent child..." That is a problem not only of this book, but high school and even college decoration, etc. in the US. And so, anyway - Lunsford will definitely help facilitate your college writing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update
The Everyday Writer with 2009 MLA Update by Andrea A. Lunsford (Spiral-bound - May 18, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01