Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Everything Easy Cross-Words Book: Challenging Fun for Beginners
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 23, 2006
I have never been a crossword puzzle person. I recently purchased this book after flipping through it at a bookstore. The early puzzles are VERY easy - which is good. It gradually builds in difficulty, but it will also build your confidence. I really enjoyed working on and actually being able to complete the puzzles.

The only complaint I have about this book is that, every once in awhile, there is a clue where the answer is just plain wrong. It may be in the same category, but it is not the correct answer. There are only a few of them. But, as a beginner who is shy about even trying these puzzles (and was even shy about carrying this book around) it was very frustrating. Still, I do recommend this book for beginners and rate it as 5 stars. It is worth buying because it does accomplish its goal of building the confidence of a crossword puzzle beginner.

I also recently purchased the second book in this "Everything Easy" series. I have just started it, but it appears to be just as good as the first book and appears to be the next logical step.

I will probably never be able to complete the most difficult puzzles out there in the daily newspapers with a pen. I just don't have that kind of historical, literary and other knowledge. But I can now say that I do enjoy working on crossword puzzles because of this book.
on February 13, 2009
I am new to crossword puzzles and I find this book enjoyable. It starts out easy and gradually gets more difficult, so that I am continually building my skills in solving the puzzles. I think it is great for any person who is brand new to doing crosswords.
on March 27, 2006
The book is huge in size and they're are tons of puzzles-some easier than others. A little difficult for the beginer (me). Check out the inside of the book before buying.
on October 17, 2014
The author seems to be more interested in showing how clever he is than in creating puzzles that are fun and easy to solve, but that may be just as well, because the book is too big and hefty to enjoy writing in. I could only use the puzzles on the right-hand page, and even then my left hand got tired holding down the stiff left-hand pages.

These are NOT "easy" puzzles like the ones we used to be able to buy at the drug store or super market. Those convenient, inexpensive little books with reasonable definitions are still available, however. Try Dell or Penny on Amazon, or Google them directly for a bigger selection.
on April 3, 2013
This is a delightful crossword puzzle book. Don't let the title mislead you---the puzzles are "easy" compared to the New York Times and Los Angeles Times crosswords but are challenging for beginners and intermediate crossword fans. There are 294 puzzles on 8" x 9" pages. Answers to the puzzles in the back are in the same order as they are presented in the book. It is a thick book and my biggest criticism is that the publisher did not give it a spiral binding so that the book could be folded back on itself as you are working on each of the puzzles. I am enjoying the puzzles designed by Douglas R. Fink and will look for other puzzle books of his in the future.
on March 22, 2012
I have been doing simple crosswords for just over a year now and was looking for the next step up, and this is it. When I first opened the book and saw how large the puzzle blocks were I thought maybe these were going to be too easy, but what a great surprise! Don't let the size of the blocks fool you! The puzzles are fun and as you finish each one the next is a little more challenging. The book is huge and is a great price. A more experienced crossword puzzle may not enjoy as much, but it was just what I was looking for. Definitely Recommend!!
on May 22, 2004
Both my 10 year old son and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The various themes were entertaining and the difficulty level was just right. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crosswords and the wit and art that is used to make them.
on November 24, 2014
this is NOT an easy crossword puzzle book.. The author is either a sadist or thinks of himself as 'so clever' in putting in the
stupidest clues I've ever encountered… I love crosswords, do not feel I am a 'dummy;' but this book was so frustrating and
unsatisfying.
Some of Mr. Fink's [is this his real name or is he truly -[not a nice reference when I was growing up]-- 'a fink' ?-ha !]
Anyway, some of the lovely 'clues' Mr. Fink thought were so 'smart' were"
Clue: "Beat the bullet" Answer: "Out eat" [??!!]; Clue: Pressed suit Answer: 'Trio' [??!!]; Clue: Evian,for one Answer: 'Evian' ??!!
Clue: 'Sidewalk Sound; Answer: 'Splat; ??!! ..REALLY ??? Just jerky clues for some egotistical smart a--. My husband agrees..
We put it in the garbage… judith
on December 11, 2014
The Everything Easy Cross-Words Book is great for me. I am recovering from a TIA and I have to work on my memory and thinking. Plus it helps me practice pronounce some words that I have problems with.
on October 22, 2009
This is a great book, the clues actually make sense with the answers (unlike the Will Shortz crossword books).