Published on June 28, 2012 by Money

3.0 out of 5 stars baseball kids book
I love this book!it will go on my list of favorite books of all time.This is totally everything kids.I mean it.iiiiiiiiiii lllllllllllllloooooooovvvvvvveeeeeee iiiiiiiiiiittttttttt!!!!!!
Published 12 months ago by Liam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, with a surprisingly adult view of some of baseball's moral quandries, June 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was surprised by this book- it covered some of the questions raised about the popular sluggers that allegedly used performance enhancing drugs. I thought this would be all pie in the sky, but in fact, addressing (and forgive me, I'm paraphrasing) that Alex Rodriguez is polarizing for his high salary and admission that he used steroids was refreshingly honest. While it talks about it in a fairly kind way, I appreciated that it didn't really pull punches, and respects young readers by being both honest and making them think. If there's an inkling of an interest in baseball in a youngster's mind, surely he or she will seek more info and opinion about it. There is also great respect paid to the Negro Leagues, and talked about how the world was reflected in the national game back then. It glosses over more controversial players, like Ty Cobb (by just calling him the meanest player ever- an understatement if there ever was one).

The book goes through a basic history of all the teams, and some of the greatest players past and present. There's little games throughout, like word searches and connect the dots, as well as basic instructions on how to play the game, including modified/simplified versions when kids don't have 17 friends to strike up a game. It defines some of the basic stats plus some Sabermetric stuff (which to be honest, I didn't fully understand prior to reading this book! Examples- Wins Above Replacement {WAR} and Walks and Hits per Innings Pitched {WHIP}), as well as how to keep score and a good outline of the player positions. All in all, a kid will do great to enhance his or her understanding of the game by reading this book.

The only flaw I can find is that the editing of the book is not very good. I found quite a few typos, and I believe what I received is a final edition, not a proof. Jose Canseco is 'Conseco' and Joe Mauer is 'Maurer' just above the paragraph talking about him. It's not a major demerit, but because it's for kids, it stuck in my craw a bit. What can I say, I'm a stickler. But overall, this is a great book for a little leaguer or the young fan trying to learn the game. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young baseball fan Must Have, August 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"The Everything KIDS' Baseball Book: From baseball's history to today's favorite players with lots of home run fun in between" was a hit with the younger baseball fans in my life. Packed with current information and fun facts, it was an afternoon baseball fun and "listen to this". Chapters covered the basics...keeping score, terminology, uniforms, the origins of baseball and of each major league team as well as puzzles, word games and interesting facts. The writing is clear and explanatory, the chapters are short and there are little factoids throughout. The reader can sit down and read for a long stretch or pick it up now and then for a quick read. It also delves into team lore, curses and modern day players.
It is more up to date and forthcoming than I expected (talks about steroid use briefly) and is a great book for the young baseball fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really an awesome book - perfect for every boy playing baseball, September 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're a dad looking to help your son learn the "meat" of baseball, be sure to get this book. It is not only full of tips, ideas and overall, just great ways to become a better player, but it also teaches them a ton of the history of baseball. It teaches how to keep the scorecards, statistics and when all of that actually started. Plus, it includes games for them to play here and there, all the while teaching them the love of baseball. It's a pretty easy read - probably more for age 8 and up, but even adults get a kick out of it, particularly if you're one of us parents that have NO knowledge of baseball, but have a son who's obsessed with it. Get this book to read - you'll feel like less of an idiot! Great, great book, highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Comprehensive, August 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this for my son (9) who enjoys watching baseball but is also getting into the trivia of it-homeruns, Hall of Fame, team history etc. The problem is I'm a hockey fan and cannot answer these baseball questions, so voila! This has been great for car trips and also just for fun trivia and game and player history. I don't have to fight to make him read it and he usually shares with me what he learned. It's updated and new with comments about current World Series and players and not dated (yet!). I cannot say if kids with more baseball experience would enjoy it as much but my son loves it and it's actually fun when he reads it aloud!

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK FOR ALL AGES!!!, August 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not the baseball aficionado in my home, my husband is. I ordered this book for him in the hopes that he would share reading it with my 5 year old grandson who will be a future little leaguer as my son was. This review is shared with my husband's opinion who in my humble opinion knows everything and every statistic there is to know about in baseball. He loved the book and my grandson even listened to him read many of the interesting facts. They are going to share reading this book once a week. There are puzzles and games for young children. The book should have been titled "Baseball For Kids and Kids at heart." In the introduction it is stated that the great Johnny Bench was the greatest catcher in history -Yogi Berra and Roy Campanella also came to mind. The author's point of view is that it makes no difference who your favorite players are it is the love of the game that will make you follow it for the rest of your life. A brief summary is that there is a history of teams, statistics of all the top players and facts about famous players of the past and today.. There is also a section on Fantasy Baseball which is so popular today. That section provides alot of valuable information to help you follow and participate in Fantasy Baseball. I think this a valuable book for any one interested in the game at all and a wonderful gift for any child in Little League or their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Little Baseball Enthusiasts!, November 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book makes a fantastic gift for a little baseball fan or even for a reluctant reader who's interested in baseball. In kid-level language, it describes how to play the game, takes a look at the teams in the American League and National League, explores stats and records, identifies great players, and much more. Fun facts are sprinkled throughout the book, along with "Words to Know" and puzzles! Whether your child is just starting to get interested in baseball or has been playing for a while, this book is bound to teach and entertain him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading and activities, October 3, 2012
Victor Blake (Loudoun County, VA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In addition to providing information about the rules and history of baseball, this book includes in-book activities for kids. My daugther (who plays baseball -- not softball) really enjoys reading -- and the idea of being allowed to WRITE in a book. If you can get past the prohibition on writing we usually have for kids, this can be a very fun book for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Only For Kids But Very Kid-Friendly, September 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I decided to give this book a chance because of my young cousins (12 and under) who are interested in baseball. They like to quiz each other on different baseball players and statistics so I thought this would be a good book appropriate for their age. I was right. You have a bit of background on the history of baseball along with different quizzes that I find my cousins love because they like to stump each other.

This book won't be overwhelming as some sports books have the tendency to be with their overload of statistics and not enought fun stories. You won't find that here. I highly recommend this for anyone who has children under 12 interested in baseball.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for the baseball player in your family!, August 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 11 year old son started playing community baseball this Spring, and he's been checking out lots of library books about baseball and baseball players. When The Everything Kids' Baseball Book arrived, he quickly ran off with it. He's been reading it daily and has it on his school desk. He even thanked me for getting it for him.

This book has rules, baseball tips, trivia, history, and lots of fun quizzes and puzzles. It's a good mixture of information, and it's presented in a fun format. Even my reluctant reader has been enjoying the book. If your son or daughter loves baseball, or has started playing community baseball, this would make a perfect gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kids Baseball Primer for a Grand Slam Hit, August 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"The Everything Kids' Baseball Book" is packed with baseball history, background information on today's favorite players, clever illustrations, rules of the game, and pointers on developing baseball skills, tips on hitting, college baseball and a whole lot more.

Every kid will be fascinated with the secret signals, fun facts, challenging puzzles, words to know, and funny riddles. Greg Jacobs includes an overall look at the history of the World Series, a whole chapter of statistics and records, and a glossary of baseball terms.

The content and format of the book will entertain the young "big league wannabe" for hours on end.

"The Everything Kids' Baseball Book" is a book for everyone from backyard competition to the Little League, to the ballpark. An important book for every team member, parent , coach, and spectator. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›