5.0 out of 5 stars ON THE ROAD WITH THE MAN!
If you are a fan of Willie Nelson ... as most folks are ... you'll want this book.
It's spoken in town-to-town musician-bus language and it's simply what Willie intended for the book to be --- a no-holds-barred bit of chit-chat placed into print by utilizing the casual talking style of the author.
Like his many musical compositions that have been released on...
Published on January 15, 2002 by Bill Mack

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow - he has kept his sense of humor
Published on February 10, 2002 by Beverly L. Hansen

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Willie!, August 30, 2002
Dan Cutrer (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Even my daughter the confirmed punk rocker howled with delight when she read it. It's just Willie having fun, telling war stories, Texas tales, and some of the dirtiest jokes you'll ever read. For long-time Willie fans, it's filled with lyrics to classic Willie songs, and, even better, to his obscure, mostly long-forgotten songs. One of the lyrics has a legend not in the book attached to it: Willie and Johnny Bush are on a tour bus, Willie says something like "I can write a hit song about anything in 15 minutes." Bush says "You're on!", they bet something best left unmentioned, and hands him a newspaper story he'd been reading about a woman found strangled. "I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye" is in the book ... maybe the bloodiest country song ever ...."... the flesh around your throat is pale, indented by my fingernails, now you can't scream and you can't cry, and I just can't let you say goodbye ..." When you see the lyrics to "Crazy" in print, you realize all over again what a wonderful wordsmith Mr. Hugh W. Nelson is. It's a book I have read and re-read, gave a dozen copies of it as gifts when it first appeared, some of them to musicians who'd played and toured with Willie. "Yup, he hasn't changed a bit!"

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow - he has kept his sense of humor, February 10, 2002
Beverly L. Hansen "kaylon1" (Tallahassee, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book out of curiosity. I was well pleased. There are times this book drags. There are times this books jokes are so old, they may have been new when Mr. Nelson was a boy! However, I found it fun, refreshing, and just plain relaxing to read. I would warn you that some of the humor is definitely for adults and if you are offended by raw humor this book is not for you. While I personally was offended once or twice by a joke I still enjoyed the read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep your day job, Willie., January 28, 2002
By A Customer
Willie Nelson is a great singer and songwriter. Great author he is not. This is one of the worst books I have ever read. I like a good dirty joke as much as the next person, but most of the ones in this book sound like they were made up by a retarded third grader. And the road stories are all the same. "Tonight we're in Pittsburgh", "staying across from a car lot", "going to sound check". Enough already! Trust me, save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling it like it is!, February 16, 2002
By A Customer
Willie- Outlaw - Not a chance. Willie tells it like it is. This was one super book. Not the usual boring run of the mill books you never finish. I got started and couldn't put it down. The road, song writers, past experiences, and dirty jokes. Super since of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Unique & Original as Willie...., July 26, 2002
S. A. MCCLELLAN (Arlington, Or. United States) - See all my reviews
If you bought "Willie", buy this for dessert! If you haven't bought "Willie"...go do it~Now!....It's better'n any fictional account of anything you're gonna be finding-guaranteed! I also bought his Rainbow album and his interactive CD "Willie..life & times of.." Willie fans 'need' these rarities and won't be disappointed ~ unless they miss getting them for their collection...I used to spend my New Year's Eve's at his "New Year's Eve Parties" in Houston and sure miss those days, too. He is one multi-faceted, talented and unique All-American Treasure who just keeps getting better with age. If you heard the Art Bell Show, when he interviewed Willie..and that's all you know about this entertainer, let me tell you that Art fumbled the ball on that one and should've read one of these beforehand...so don't you miss out - buy the book(s)!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., May 5, 2012
...is the only word I can come up with to describe my feelings after reading this book. Although Willie's stories were entertaining and I did chuckle at some of them, there wasn't enough of them. More than half the book is made up of the lyrics to his songs. If you're a Willie fan like I am, you would already know the lyrics to all his songs. Sorry, Willie. You missed hitting the fairway with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars wn fan loved it!, December 29, 2007
This review is from: The Facts of Life: and Other Dirty Jokes (Paperback)
Got this for my dad who is a huge Willie fan and I thought he had everything of Willie's - but this one he didn't and was very impressed to see we had found something he hadn't seen before. He enjoyed reading it and found it funny.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, June 4, 2002
I am 33 years old and a true Willie Nelson fan (but not a country music fan per se) I love Willie's activism almost as much as I love his voice. He is a true original. This book was, above all, a chance to get inside Willie's head for a while--and I enjoyed that. And while I will disagree with the reviewer who called him "a genius," I still think the book was worth reading. Most of the jokes were funny, the lyrics are moving, and once in a while, Willie really hits his stride (the section about Farm Aid was fantastic) The book is worth looking at if only for the photographs of Willie and his family and friends. I love Willie, and chances are if you're even thinking of buying this book you do too. It's not great literature, but it's entertaining most of the time. Go ahead and buy it, what the heck?

3.0 out of 5 stars Liked the lyrics, February 18, 2002
Willie Nelson is a great singer. Now for the book: Most of the book consists of his song lyrics. That's the best part. As to the jokes, a few of them made me chuckle. The "keep breathing" and "long liver" lines on page 22 are ancient. Willie admits to being 68. As to the slang language, those same old "s" words and "f" words and a few others might be OK for emphasis, and if you like repetition, there's a bit of that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insights, August 14, 2006
Jimmy D. Johnson "1cavjimmy" (Germantown, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Facts of Life: and Other Dirty Jokes (Paperback)
This is an easy summer read that offers some unique insights into the mind of the legendary Willie Nelson. It has a lot of song lyrics, a few jokes and lots of personal anecdotes from his life on the road. It's not great literature, but it's fun and, what the heck, Willie needs the money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Facts of Life: and Other Dirty Jokes
The Facts of Life: and Other Dirty Jokes by Willie Nelson (Paperback - April 8, 2003)
$15.00 $12.19