Published on January 7, 2012 by Z Hayes

2.0 out of 5 stars too freely translated for my taste
After reading the Frog Prince, I was quite surprised and checked other translations which were very different. These translations are not at all faithful to the letter and spirit of the originals--I checked with a German friend. They are rewritings of the story, in the spirit of the editors. More appropriate for children but not the Grimm thing.
Published on October 14, 2012 by Lynne Shaney

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, recommended for collectors and those who appreciate fine books, January 7, 2012
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
I'm a collector of beautifully-bound books and have been collecting the titles from Calla Editions over the last couple of years. I already have several copies of Grimm's Fairy Tales in different editions, and I could not resist Taschen's edition when I saw it here. Taschen's art books are really beautiful and of good quality, and when I received my copy of The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm, I was mesmerized by the beauty of this edition.

Some reviewers have complained about the quality of binding. I have no such complaints as the edition I received was well-bound with no loosening of the binding. The book itself is bound in a purple cloth cover, contains two ribbon markers(one in pink and one in green),and the title of the book is embossed in gold-letters with a beautiful embossed illustration of Sleeping Beauty (on the front) and the castle (on the back).

This edition contains all-new translations of 27 fairy tales with reproduced artwork by the original illustrators of the various tales, dating from the 1820s to the 1950s. The book also contains an introduction by editor Noel Daniel titled "More Than Words Can Say: The Grimms' Enduring Legacy and the Art It Inspired." In his introduction, Daniel discusses several aspects of fairy tales, and there's lots of illustrations from older editions of fairy tales, as well as a gorgeous full-page illustration depicting Kay Nielsen's watercolor of "The Goose Girl".

This is followed by the actual fairy tales (with names of illustrators whose illustrations are depicted alongside the stories):
The Frog Prince (Walter Crane)
The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats (Heinrich Leutemann)
Little Brother and Little Sister (Fedor Flinzer)
Rapunzel (Otto Speckter)
Hansel and Gretel (Heinrich Merté)
The Fisherman and His Wife (Wanda Gág)
The Brave Little Tailor (Franz Wacik)
Cinderella (Hanns Anker)
Mother Holle (Herbert Leupin)
Little Red Riding Hood (Divica Landrová)
The Bremen Town Musicians (Rudolf Geifsler)
The Devil with the Three Golden Hairs (Gustaf Tenggren)
The Shoemaker and the Elves (George Cruikshank)
Tom Thumb's Travels (Oswald Sickert)
Sleeping Beauty (Herbert Leupin)
Snow White (Wanda Zeigner-Ebel)
Rumpelstiltskin (Kay Nielsen)
The Three Feathers (Kay Nielsen)
The Golden Goose (L. Leslie Brooke)
Jorinda and Joringel (Arthur Rackham)
The Goose Girl (Jessie Willcox Smith)
The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Kay Nielsen)
The Star Coins (Viktor P. Mohn)
Snow White and Rose Red (Gustaf Tenggren)
The Hare and the Hedgehog (Gustav Süs)
Puss in Boots (Herbert Leupin)
The Golden Key

The tales are followed by:
Artists' Biographies by the editor
Translator's Note & Note on the Original Tales
Index

These are timeless tales that will stand the test of time, and this beautiful Taschen edition is sure to enhance any collector's library.

2.0 out of 5 stars too freely translated for my taste, October 14, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector's Book if You Love Illustration, December 6, 2011
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
I give this book 5 stars because it collects nearly all of my favorite children's book illustrators in a volume with brightened quality images that I will never be able to find or afford in original editions. I was pleased to see 19th century illustrators from Switzerland and Germany that are new to me. Editor Noel Daniel's title for his introduction on page seven, "More Than Words Can Say: The Grimms' Enduring Legacy and the Art It Inspired", is a better description of the purpose of this book than the title placed on the cloth cover. For fans of both graphic design and book design, it is a standout. Each story and its illustrator is introduced on coppery-gold pages (which will retain your fingerprints eventually, but this is not a bad thing) with white silhouette-style drawings from original black-on-white originals. The type of illustration (color lithograph, engraving, halftone print, hand-colored broadside,etc) are included with the original publication date and artist's name. Yes it does seem like the glue for attaching the cover is a little weak (in my book it is the top more than the bottom) and maybe this will be corrected on consequent print runs. I will also treat it with care and I can add some glue. On the plus side, heavy paper pages are tightly bound and there are 2 ribbon markers. At the end of the book, there are further biographical notes on each artist before translator notes, notes on the Grimms' 1857 publication, index, image credits and other notes. Buy it for the art.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book-- love it so much I bought another for my children's school library!, December 1, 2011
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
This book is a treasure and a delight. I bought it for my family and my two children are absolutely enthralled by it. The stories are presented in such a captivating narrative and the silhouette artwork throughout is stunning. The book is aesthetically beautiful and thoughtfully designed. We enjoy reading it as a family and additionally, my children love exploring it themselves. I must say that while a children's book by definition, it is equally enjoyable to the adult reader. The informative introduction, background provided to the tales and the fascinating biographies about the book's different artists all are all so interesting. We have enjoyed it so much that I gave a copy to the librarian at my children's elementary school and she was absolutely delighted to add it to the school's resources for the students and teachers. Definitely a wonderful book for families, adults and beyond!!

3.0 out of 5 stars WATCH OUT! I received a defective copy, December 13, 2012
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
The first 16 pages of the copy I received were in German (including the title page and table of contents). At first I just though it was a German introduction, but then it abruptly switched to English mid-sentence. I checked a copy of the book at my local bookstore and confirmed that my amazon copy is indeed incorrect. There should be no German pages unless you order a German version! Check your book carefully if you purchase from Amazon.

Apart from that mishap, the correct version of the book is beautiful. I ended up purchasing it at a local bookstore (for the full $39.99) instead of from Amazon, because I wanted to make sure I got a correct copy, and because I ran out of time before Christmas.

Its worth noting though, for any fellow designers/illustrators, that the illustrated pages shown on this product listing are the best illustrations in the book. By that I mean that most of the rest of the illustrations are underwhelming if you are looking for more of the flat, graphic style that is shown on the cover and the selected pages. Not all of the illustrations are done in the same style, rather each Fairy Tale has its own illustrations from separate artists. Some of them were not to my personal taste. However, the metallic gold "introduction" pages found throughout the book sort of made up for it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Fun, and Informative, December 16, 2011
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
Probably like most people, I grew up on Grimm's stories but didn't realize it because the stories had been Disneyfied. This is partly why, when I came across this book on my friend's shelf the other day, I couldn't put it down. I was swept away by the beauty and information that Noel Daniel had compiled. I was also struck by how balanced the book is in regard to audience. First and foremost, the color, clarity, and imagination of the illustrations (copies of the original illustrative art from the 19th and 20th centuries) will arrest the oldest and youngest of readers. The cloth cover and gold pages between chapters are delightful to the hand as well as the eye. Faithful to the Grimm's storytelling vision, the tales are gripping for children and adults alike. For readers like myself who are interested in history, I found myself confidently following Noel Daniel's discussion of the foundational, joint development of print technology and children's books. This book is a pleasurable experience on many levels. I would recommend it to anyone, whether they have children or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASTOUNDING!!!, December 16, 2011
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
This book is a work of art. Just the cover alone is sumptuous (no binding issues with me!) Each story is colorfully told and a unique visual treasure guaranteed to delight readers of all ages. The artist biographies at the end were fascinating and really helped me appreciate the rich lineage of storytelling and graphic design. This collection is an inspiring combination of scholarship, artistry and whimsy. I have and will continue to savor every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book for Children, January 16, 2012
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
I bought this for my son for Christmas, and we all love it. The pictures are great, and the quality is excellent. Thick paper, rich colors and a good translation make for a wonderful gift for your children, friends or grandchildren. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!, January 2, 2012
grey garage (Hot as hell Phoenix) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
I purchased this book as a gift and after it arrived and I flipped through it I had to get a second copy for myself. I have never seen a book with such beautiful illustrations. I highly recommend this if you are looking for something that will be treasured a a special find for years to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous book!, April 1, 2013
Alana Joy (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm (Hardcover)
I first saw this book at Anthropologie and it was more than $10 pricier than here on Amazon, so there you go. The book itself is stunning, with interesting and artistic illustrations. I am tempted to keep a copy for myself and get another one for my daughter, that's how nice it is.

Not sure why the image accompanying this post has the title in Spanish. My copy was in English. :)

The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$39.99 $22.48