5.0 out of 5 stars Seeking God, November 15, 2007
This is an extremely moving book because, as a descendent of Augustine's Confessions, it is primarily about the experience of struggling with religious faith, not a catechism about what to believe. It has no designs on us. It aims only to involve us in two men's trying to come to personal terms with the idea of God and the experience of God. These two men begin in different places, pursue faith in different ways, and end up in different places. But as the counterpoint between them makes clear, they share the ultimate concern that is at the core of all religion. To have ultimate concern is to be religious. This book takes place inside the experience that so many of today's God Books remain outside of. It shows us that whatever God is or is not, if He is to be found, that is where He must be found: inside the human experience of seeking Him. It is written in the language of the confessional fiction (and non-fiction) that many of us grew up on in the last two generations of the twentieth century. It feels familiar and authentic. I am grateful for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thing of Beauty, December 18, 2007
Felix Rust (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
Peter and Scott have created a thing of beauty. I am an atheist. I was an atheist before I read this book and I remain an atheist after. But this book is not about religion. It is about love, beauty, faith, parenthood, friendship, bird watching, death, sex, smoky lentils... life. It is beautifully written. It is fascinating. Would that everyone possessed the tender and earnest introspection of these two men- would that everyone were brave enough to admit it. The world would be a better place. Please read this book.

The Faith Between Us: A Jew and a Catholic Search for the Meaning of God
The Faith Between Us: A Jew and a Catholic Search for the Meaning of God by Peter Bebergal (Hardcover - October 30, 2007)
Used & New from: $2.41