The Fame (US Version)
Format: MP3 MusicChange
Price:$8.99

on March 30, 2009
Format: Audio CD
I bought this album Friday and haven't stopped listening to it yet!!It's really good dance music,which is the type of music i like.I like that she is trying to do her own thing and not trying to be like the other female singers out today!!A must buy for the dance fan!!I love this cd!!Good job,Lady Ga Ga!!
Format: Audio CD
Stefani Germanotta, a.k.a. Lady Gaga, has pulled all the right strings to stir mass attention and create quite a buzz at retail and radio. It just so happens that she has single-handedly given pop music a stinging shot in the arm. Late 2000s pop needed an intriguing figure like Gaga to come along - a rearview mirror on this decade in Top 40 land makes for a relatively unmemorable glance. Or at least it did until now.

Her public persona may absolutely ooze pretense, but quite the opposite goes for Gaga's music itself - "The Fame" has a healthy serving of sticky, summery, track-repeat-button-beckoning pure pop confections. Save for Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears, no pop performer this decade has succeeded so well at delivering tunes that so squarely hit the musical sweet tooth - treats that are not guilty pleasures but simply pleasures. Gaga, however, outdoes her contemporaries in that she is the principal writer behind her material and creator of her style and persona, even if the music itself is not entirely original - nor need it be.

The opening foursome of "Just Dance" featuring Colby O'Donis, "LoveGame", "Paparazzi" and "Poker Face" are all the stuff of pure pop bliss with melodies that not only thoroughly entrench themselves in the cranium but do not irritate from overexposure or wear out their welcome. They at once demonstrate Gaga's gift for scintillating melodies and sexy, club-friendly lyrics. Choosing RedOne and Rob Fusari as producers was a stroke of genius. These tracks serve as a reminder of an important truth that seems to be eluding not only the general public but the entertainment industry as well - at its best, pop songcraft is as valid a musical endeavor as any other.

"Just Dance" and "Poker Face" have both been solid #1 hits, and "LoveGame" is headed in that direction, currently sitting at #22. With its slinky, sultry beats and yearning, tugging melody, "Paparazzi" is unlike Gaga's current hits in that it is not straightforwardly club-ready but instead benefits from a starker treatment, showing off her particular vocal versatility and grace. Its nearly twisted, dreamy take on unrequited love is wholly original.

Elsewhere, the quality of the album takes a small but noticeable dip. Tracks like the muscular "I Like It Rough" and "Money Honey" are choppy and energetic but instantly forgettable, while the flighty "Summerboy," which catches a ride on an awesome electric guitar, is quite fun yet falls substantially short of being in the league of the album's opening tracks, or, for that matter, substantially differentiating itself from much of the material that pads the middle of the album, "Boys Boys Boys" being a prime example. "Eh Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" is also a sprightly little piece of pop that renders itself completely innocuous. Other tracks such as the breathy, downbeat "Brown Eyes" and the title track attempt to demonstrate Gaga's versatility but show her creative palette wearing a bit thin. Her eagerness to please the listener is never in question, but that these tracks are not worth repeated spins - especially when given such a strong bunch of radio hits at the beginning of the record - is neither.

"The Fame" is not an out and out homerun, but it shows exciting potential for a rare new talent who is already deserving of the title 'pop star.' Gaga knows what people like and she demonstrates unrestrained determination to deliver it. Many young female entertainers draw comparisons to the entertainment powerhouse that is Madonna (Spears and Katy Perry chief examples), but in Gaga the public now has one who is truly worthy of such a comparison. It is a premature stage, of course, but if "The Fame" is any indication Gaga's engagement entertaining pop listeners will be long and fortuitous.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Lady GaGa has surprisingly put a fresh spin into current pop music. You can obviously see her pulling inspiration from the likes of David Bowie and Madonna. She has an amazing way of putting a new twist on things that have already been done in the music world. The album is a very theatrical piece of work. Many of the songs have a dark 80s synthesizer feel to them, but the lyrics are able to take us to much happier places. Lady GaGa also manages to add humor to the music in the way that she delivers each song. "Just Dance" was the perfect lead single to pull from this collection. It proved itself by reaching #1 on the Billboard Charts. It's a non-stop dance single that is sure to get any party going. "LoveGame" and "Poker Face" showcase GaGa satisfying her sexual appetite with tongue-n-cheek lyrics and thick beats. She also offers up a softer side with "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say) and the somber "Brown Eyes." The Fame is able to come across as a very enjoyable dance record. I do feel that the album should be shortened by two songs. It does tend to feel a tad bit lengthy with 14 tracks on the disc. It's all just a matter of opinion.

The Fame is probably one of the greatest pop/dance records within the last 10 years. It allows the audience to take a glimpse into Lady GaGa's world of fashion, art, money, sex, and fame. She oozes sex appeal, has a great voice, and even writes her own material. Pick this one up.
on December 29, 2009
Format: Audio CD
This debut album by Lady Gaga boasts a whopping four number one singles. When I heard that figure, I had to pick up this album and give it a try. Please don't let my 3-star rating fool you; I liked this album a lot. It was not a weak debut.

The fun dance-pop style is easy on the ears. Although many of the songs are lyrically light, the album is peppered with the occasional societal commentary that seems to come from left field but fits in perfectly.

The singles from the album are, of course, the strongest offerings. On top of that, there are no songs on the album that sound anything like any of the others; a feat that not many songwriters manage to pull off. Despite these great songs and the overall variation, I found myself growing tired of the album after a while. This was partially due to the album's overuse of autotuning. With a great singer like Lady Gaga, auto-tune should be avoided or at least used sparingly. Lady Gaga clearly does NOT have any pitch problems, so why ruin a potentially great song like "Paper Gangsta" by autotuning the crap out of it?

Lady Gaga also abuses the "rap interlude" in the songs. With such a mastery of lyrical and melodic variety, I'm surprised that she uses this same tact in so many songs. These two drawbacks would normally not be enough for me to dock a rating so much, but with 14 tracks, these issues make it difficult to get through the entire album in one listen, which is really a shame.

All in all, I like the album and think it's worth the money. Lady Gaga is coming into her own with this album, and I know few debut albums that I've heard that couldn't be improved upon. If Lady Gaga keeps up the pace and learns from the few shortcomings in this album, she'll be a force to be reckoned with.
on January 24, 2009
Format: Audio CD
Lady Gaga's gimmick -- aside from being a Female impersonator (hey, folks: s/he's "bluffin' with her muffin," to quote her own damn lyric, a lyric to which she adds that she's, "stunnin' with her love-glue gunnin...." I'll probably be flamed here for pointing out that Gaga is male -- but hey, by all means, feel free to do the math for yourself) -- is harmonic contrast, taken to the absolute extreme: Gaga presents a female voice with backing vocals that are exclusively male, for example; uses alternations of vocoder with vocal, and even drops her male backing vocals (Poker Face) so deeply down into the mix -- to levels of bare audibility (and seemingly keyshifted and placed into mono) -- while keeping her own lines recorded almost into the red -- all of which is fine, by the way, perfectly fine. It's a hit-record by the numbers, but this is really, REALLY well done.

"Just Dance" is such an obvious monster at radio that I imagine record company execs were literally drooling over the future numbers -- any song THIS well done can move a million units in re-mixes ALONE. "Poker Face" is double-bridged (using a bridge into chorus and another bridge out of it), "Just Dance" uses a rap in the place of a guitar solo (her own, in one mix, a male voice for the current radio edit) -- again, this is all about harmonic contrast. Some of the songwriting here is remarkably sophisticated, the crux of it is that the sophistication here is used to communicate the simplest of possible messages -- another contrast -- call it poetic contrast, if you like.

"Just Dance" and "Poker Face" are obvious singles, although "Poker Face" is not your typical single selection due to the incredible degree of songwriting sophistication -- the fidelic qualities aside, here. I do wish Gaga would fade-out the obvious singles instead of hard-stopping everything; some at radio seemed to have re-mixed a fade-out into Gaga's titles themselves, and feels correct for mass market airplay -- and Gaga, if you're reading this, let me say that this feels utterly correct for club-play, as well; it's not exactly a secret that giving the DJ a nice long fade-out to work with makes things a lot easier for the guy spinning the wax at any club, and improves your own spin-count.

I notice (welllll... at least I think I notice) that Gaga is sharp enough to keep the bass line slightly leading the drums during choruses, while the bass line seemingly trails the drums during verses -- the choruses thereby seem WONDERFULLY set-off and are some TRUE earworms. Gaga has a voice that seems to be in F, is naturally sharp, and with a natural trill as well as power -- Gaga CAN sing, keys are held and pitches are true, even live (well, from what I've seen at YouTube so far) -- and is set off, once again, by backing vocals that are male, generally in E or C, generally buried in the mix, used to set-off her own vocals via contrast -- Gaga is clearly the star of this show.

The amount of thinking that went into the production here is obvious; this is an absolute monster of a record made by people who clearly know what they are doing. Gaga's look, presence, manner, and sound are the result of an awful lot of thought -- she has everything she needs to be the next generation's Cher, and I mean that in a good way.

You know... one more thought: we have had so many years of pop music pretending to be anti-pop; think of the entire grunge movement, for example... that Gaga's timing into the marketplace couldn't have been more perfect: Gaga's quote that pop art, "will never be low-brow," allows her to actually position herself as a musical anti-hero by firmly embracing the confines of pop AS AN ACT OF REBELLION. (!)

Yeah, I'm telling you: if Nirvana and Peal Jam had never happened, Gaga would never have had the opportunity to explode like this.

You KNOW I'm right.

Looking out across the musical horizon of the moment, Gaga is probably the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The potential career here for this person, whoever they are, is a FRANCHISE.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
People. Your illustrious Seer (the beloved one (not gloved one)) took time off recently from the arduous task of saving the world, to finally reconnect with my spirit guides. Marshy (who looks a lot like Lady Gaga) was off in Monaco someplace. My how that girl loves to party! However, Guido, my spirit guide who is the Romeo of the dance clubs, invited me, yet again, to his old club haunt, The Fishnet, in New York City. I informed him how drab life had become and that I needed an uplift, especially after filling in for Santa this year. "Don't you worry Metamorpho", he spoke over his cell phone, "just meet me there. Ol' Guido never disappoints". I was leary. Ever since his bit part in "Saturday Night Fever" (he was the second from left club member egging Tony on in that famous dance scene), things have never been the same. However, I needed an uplift, so I met him there.

I must admit that I thought I'd look out of place with my seer's thermalite gown (and wizard's hat) on. However, I needn't not worry. In this modern day, a go-go America, nobody cares about how you look. That is, providing you don't try to board an airplane. I am, as you know by now, spared that embarassment with my motorized magic carpet.

Anyway, the music was playing and there were lots of people on the dance floor. I ordered my usual martini with brandy chaser, and watched Guido as he worked the floor for an available love interest. He always connects. I, on the other hand, always look for a nice Seeress, but winds up with an old Wiccan who looks like Susan Boyle instead. "Sigh"

But, getting to the music. I sat there amazed. What was this they're playing? Was it Madonna? No, it's different somehow. It's got energy. It moves. It snakes into your brain. It spirals around your head and jogs your senses like 3 Red Bulls with Vodka (that's an "in" joke that's not so "in" anymore). But, if you made it this far, it was my introduction to the world of Lady Gaga.

How can I explain this music to you, that it will make sense? I am a firm believer that the music scene eventually gets stale after awhile. I mean, these days, it's especially hard to find an artist that can hit on elements that will carry them beyond just this years flavor and will not disappear before long. Lady Gaga. here, has enough vitality and creativity to last her a long time. Mind you, this music is not to nourish you with great insight and teach you how to solve a Rubik's cube. But, the point is, it's not supposed to. That really is the key to enjoying this. It's a sensory experience. But such a pleasurable one.

This is no bubble-headed unfocused proffering. No. Lady Gaga has done her homework people. All sorts of genres of popular dance music over the past decades have been studied. She mixes some beats of the 70's, electronica of the 80's and rap-hip-hop of the 90's and beyond in a Waring Blender and pours jello shots for your consumption consideration. And then the beeps and blurps bombard you and move in a circle around your ears creating a buffer from depressing reality. (Praise you Lady Gaga). It's dance rock, it's groove approved, it's hooked inspired. Speaking of hooks, I see Guido reeling one in as we speak.

And what about the lyrics? Well, of course sex (a woman's power for sure)as evident in "PokerFace" (clever play on words there Gaga!). But it's raw, cutting edge, zest for life. She's about partying. She's about having fun. Also about what she wants or doesn't want in a relationship. Mind you, these are not considerations to a scientist that solves global warming (he probably gets out less than I do at this point). But it is valid if you want to dance and have fun. Caution: Extremely infectous!

I must admit, I am a very sedate Seer and the most exercise I get is a yawn or two. But, Gaga's music made me get out there and fly around the dancefloor. (Well, the drinks helped too). In closing, an amazing aural experience that never lets up - from start to finish. With her outer worldly apparel, her talent, and her art of turning the mudane into an imaginative experience, Gaga is herehere to staystay.
She's innovative and talented enough to be around for a long, long time.

I gave this 4 1/2 stars. Not a classic, but damn close. I subtracted 1/2 point for some girl's highheel damaging Metamorpho's toe while on the dancefloor. Plus, I believe in room for growth, which she will most certainly do.
Now, I must leave. That Wiccan woman is making eyes at me and coming this way!

Got my dirty headphones with the left side on -- Metamorpho ;)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2009
Verified Purchase
This young Lady GaGa brings an intelligence and savvy to her debut disc The Fame. The cd is breaks new ground in fun catchy danceable music. This record is wonderfully schizophrenic in sound one moment it sounds clubby/new wave/kitsch/superpop/hiphop and she makes it all sound like one sound. This young lady has the potential to be the next Madonna and I do not say that lightly as I have been a huge Madonna fan for 25 years. Go Lady GaGa Go!!!
Format: Audio CD
this is a great cd.lady gaga is awesome. the best songs on this disc are

1. poker face
2. Paparazzi
3. lovegame
4. boy, boys, boys
Format: Audio CD
This album is top-tier pop. Great beats, clever synth/vocal combinations that will stick in your head for weeks.

Obviously the flagship song is "Just Dance", but I find myself listening to hidden gems like "Starstruck", "Love Game", and "I Like It Rough" more and more each day.

So much of this album is creative and fun, and it's perfect for headphones.
Format: Audio CD
When Lady Gaga (only one capital G, people) first came out with "Just Dance", I didn't pay that much attention to her. Not that it isn't a good song, but it didn't really sound much different from any other club hit out there. But the follow-up single "Poker Face" told me that maybe she WASN'T just a flash-in-the-pan artist. So I finally got around to listening to The Fame.

My favorite song on the album is "Poker Face", but other highlights include "Paparazzi" and the interesting "Money Honey" (it looks a little cheesy on paper, but it works). And the version of the album I have doesn't have "Again Again"; it instead includes a song called "Starstruck" that features Flo Rida sounding much better than he usually does. Also, for those of you that don't realize Gaga can actually sing, "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" should let you know.

There's also "I Like It Rough", which is a good finish to the album (but if you think you know what that song is going to be about, think again). Is The Fame a classic album? Well, no, because there are a few tracks I can do without, like "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and the two-in-a-row of "Boys Boys Boys" and "Brown Eyes". And "Summerboy" is pretty okay. Although Ms. Germanotta is probably better known for her outlandish live performances than anything else (VMAs, anyone?), this album is still proof that she has what it takes. I'll listen to her EP The Fame Monster next. (By the way, where can I find the song "Paper Gangsta"?)

Anthony Rupert
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...