Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 25, 2012
My daughter has loved the first two books of this series. FYI the third book does not have an AR quiz available at this moment. Sure it will come out soon.
on September 8, 2014
This is the 2nd book my daughter and I have read this school year.
This is also the 2nd book in the "Familiars" series.
The first book set up all the characters and developed their back stories. It also introduced a villain and story arc. This second book develops everything a few steps. The characters are familiar and so the author has been able to show their personalities a bit more vividly. For instance, there is more humor. The relationship between the characters has grown as well. The trust between the members of their group is palpable and is obviously valuable to each. They each have something to contribute and their confidence in their individual abilities strengthens in the face of opposition.
The plot is as tight as In the first book. The animals go on a quest to save the world from the evil bunny (I never get tired of saying that!) and to return magic to humans (stolen by aforementioned evil bunny). The animals are directed by an ancient epic poem which shows them the way. They encounter all sorts of other characters and have to find a way to solve each part of the poem puzzle. The thing to remember about this author is that each part, each character, each mystery is interconnected. Sometimes it seems as though you are just having a random encounter - something to fill the pages of an adventure book. However, be warned, each of those bits and pieces will come around again and be an important part of the book. Read with attention for maximum enjoyment!
My only complaint is that the ending of the book is a dreadful, painful cliffhanger - I do hate those! Its like book 2 of the LOTR books - just a sort of interstitial between 1 and 3. A great book - tightly and wonderfully written with lots of important things happening - but still, always, it is the book in-between.
Overall - a wonderful book with memorable characters and I can't wait to get to book three!
on November 26, 2012
Great bookss! I got them for my son and have read them myself. very entertaining and my son loves them
on January 31, 2014
I like following the adventures of these three familiars;the personalities of each is beginning to take shape and are each endearing. will continue to follow the pursuits in forthcoming editions. I think kids and teachers would be enthralled by the adventures and storyline.
on September 20, 2012
I gave my grandson the first and second book of this series and he absolutely loved them. He started reading in the car on the way home and asked his mom if it was OK to go to his room to continue reading. When he came downstairs several hours later he had finished the book and pronounced it GREAT (yes in capitals). I have just bought the third book which I'll save for his ninth birthday in October. He and I highly recommend these books to stimulate a child's imagination.
on February 18, 2013
I didn't read the book. I bought it for my son. He loves The Familiar series and was so thrilled when receiving it. He finished the book in just one evening so based on his reaction, I give the book a 5 star. He can not wait to read the third book, but I am waiting the paper back version to come out. Sorry kido. I don't want to pay the extra for the hard cover version.
on February 9, 2014
My son has a hard time with reading but his vocabulary is at about the 9th grade level....so it is hard to find books that he can read that also are at his intellectual level. This is a rare find in that sense!!! He loves it and also feels that he is comfotable reading it...
on April 22, 2015
Bhutto's and a cat food and no longer have some of my favorite song and no longer be able to kill you can really help you to get THE best series of hearts and minds to get the killer of my life you to get the best series IN the best series IN THE WORLD and minds in my favorite part when I was the killer love story about how much money you have to get THE WORLD and minds to get the graphics are not the killer app store for the killer love story about how much money you have some where out there that are a ugly betty's new
on June 13, 2015
This book kept you on the edge of your seat with lots of twists and turns. In the first book, we learned about Gilbert's family. In this book, we learn about Skyler's family. We start to learn about Aldwin's family. There's a lot to learn.
on March 10, 2016
You have to read the first book to fall in love with and get to know the characters. It's full of adventure and fun. It's a book for 4th-8th graders to enjoy, especially if you love animals, wizards and magic. Cat lovers will really like it. Now, this book begins and adventure and doesn't really end it, you do learn the "Secrets of the Crown" BUT you will need the next book in the series for completeness. So be ready for that. Fun, fun, fun book.