5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with useful information

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not what I was looking for
Published on February 10, 2005 by Ryan's mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with useful information, November 20, 1999
Annette Doyle (Dripping Springs, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Family Nutrition Book: Everything You Need to Know About Feeding Your Children - From Birth through Adolescence (Paperback)
I found this book to be the most useful of the nutrition books I have bought. Rather than find it guilt inducing I found it refreshing to have a more in depth (but not too technical) explanation about why certain foods are beneficial and the specific health benefits. I also have the book Feeding Your Child for Lifelong Health, but I found it to have less information about specific foods and the benefits they offer. I find the Sear's explain things very clearly and thoroughly. While I have not totally changed the way I feed my family I have introduced a wider variety of foods and place more emphasis on certain items and I believe these changes will improve our overall health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book On Nutrition, November 1, 2000
I have really enjoyed this book. It is extremely informative and thorough, while managing to make nutrition very interesting. It is easy to read and understand. I've really enjoyed the fact that this book goes into such detail explaining why certain foods are great and others are bad - while holding my attention all the while! I have found the book very easy to use as a reference when I've come back to it and it is full of very useful suggestions.
I'm not a really strict person when it comes to diet for my daughter - hey, I even let the grandparents give her chocolate and cookies sometimes. But I do like the fact that this book gave me a lot of information that helped make me a better parent [nutritionally speaking]. I follow what works for us and don't worry about what I can't incorporate into our diet right now.
This book did not make me feel guilty - on the contrary it made me feel knowledgeable enough to make the choices right for our particular family. I feel pretty good about our diet in general, and on occaision when I find our menu falling prey to too much "convenience food", I go back and read a bit of this book and regain my motivation to work towards healthy food, regardless of how busy I am. I'm really glad I have this book! It is by far the most interesting and useful book on nutrition I've found.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice...a little unrealistic on the nutrition, September 30, 1999
By A Customer
I love Dr. and Martha Sears. I've read several of their books, and weekly refer to the Baby Book. I thought this book was very informative; great chapter on breastfeedings benefits. But, I found the "advice" on how to feed your children a bit unrealistic. I feed my daughter (what I thought) was very healthy. She's a vegetarian (as is mom) and eats a wide variety of veggies, fruits, beans and other legumes, tofu, and grains. I buy her organic animal crackers and snacks like guppies (the natural alternative to goldfish with lots of processing)and sesame whole wheat sticks. But I do occasionally give her white rice, non-whole wheat pasta, and I do feed her Cheerios and Nutra-Grain waffles. If I can't buy organic fruits and veggies, I scrub the ones I buy well with a veggie wash.
But I felt a little criminal for not feeding her better. Most have commented that my daughter eats very well. I guess my point is there doesn't seem to be credit for doing what you can do, unless you do it all. Its almost impossible to eat perfectly organic, non-processed food ALL the time. And I had hope the book would give more IDEAS for preparing healthy food for your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and eye opening nutrition book, June 3, 2000
This book was interesting to read (and I am NOT a nutrition nut). I especially like the way it is divided into managable chapters that tackle a particular concept (fish, oils, brain foods, anti-cancer foods, vegetables, milk, yogurt, etc.)
It takes potentially daunting concepts and makes them understandable to the layman. For example, the chapter on fats finally helped me understand all the jargon out there about saturated and unsaturated fats, hydrogenated oils, etc. This information has made me a better consumer and mother...now I know what to look for on labels.
It is also very readable because it incorporates many lists and side bars that highlight key concepts and insights. These items make it easy to skim through and glean a bit of information about many things without feeling overwhelmed by a bunch of dry and boring facts.
I also liked the way that Sears explains how certain foods impact our body. He uses many analogies to help the reader understand what occurs during the digestion process and why particular foods lead to optimum health.
Although I could never incorporate all of their suggestions, the book does a great job of giving me some goals to shoot for. It has helped me understand why some foods are bad and others better. The book has inspired me to look at eating in an entirely different way and to make efforts to improve my family's health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely informative, September 12, 2000
With a 1 year-old son and the awesome responsibility of feeding him properly I found I needed a reference book. This book is just that and so much more. The book is great for parents and kids.
I love the great examples and user friendly reading layout. I am delighted to learn so much about nutrition, how different foods affect the body and how to eat right to have optimal performance and fight cancer.
I did not find the book at all guilt inducing. We all do what we can and any little bit you do to give your kids a better chance is great.
Overall this is a great read, packed full of valuable information. Enjoy and good health!

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not what I was looking for, February 10, 2005
This book has a ton of comprehensive information on nutrients but I bought it thinking it would help me know what to feed my 9-month old at each stage of his development. All I would call this is a nutrition textbook. It's good to have on hand, but if you're looking for guidelines on what foods are safe and offer proper nutrition for young babies and toddlers, keep looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a very useful and complete book, May 27, 2001
Again written in a very easy-to-read way, this book is a very complete nutrition guide. It gives you the why's and how's of the differnet food groups and its very eye opening about comercial products and the way so called "healthy products" are marketed. After reading the book I have found myself in a better position to make informed decisions about what I'm buying and the way I'm cooking. The Sears give you a complete perspective without getting in the controversy of whether you should be a vegeterian or not, which I found very important so people of different believes and eating philosophies can enjoy the book equally. I particularly enjoy the sections of feeding your baby and toddler. They very complete and helpful. The book doesn't have recipes or anything but it has some cool ideas. I keep refering back to it everytime need to check in the nutritional information of different foods, or just when I need to give a boost to my health-awareness. It's very well documented (research references wise) and I particularly recommend it for people interested in cancer preventive styles of living.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Nutrition for Good Health, February 7, 2000
By A Customer
In the latest book in the Sears series, Bill and Martha Sears present information they have collected from over 500 scientific studies on nutrition. This information could have been presented in a dry, boring format with lots of confusing charts. The Sears have chosen instead to use a common sense down to earth approach that should appeal to parents wanting to know a little more about how and what to feed their families. Bill and Martha give readers and excellent introduction to nutrition basics, explaining what foods the body needs and what it does with the food you give it. There are also sections on organic foods, breatfeeding and picky eaters. The Sears are not afraid to depart from traditional nutrional advice and present information on "health foods" and herbs such as Echineacea. All in all I found this book extremely helpful, especially for finding ways to get my junk food addicted family interested in healthier food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- but watch the fish recommendations, July 8, 2002
By A Customer
An excellent book with one exception -- it heartily recommends regular fish consumption, but fails to mention the problem of methyl mercury and/or PCB contamination in several commonly consumed species of fish. Look for the Environmental Working Group's recommendations on this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Family Nutrition Bible, February 7, 2003
By page 7, I was diving into my cupboards and discarding all the foods with hydrogenated oil. I devoured this book, and found this to be the easiest book on nutrition that I have ever read. Cut into bite-size sections, this book was a delight to read. I was able to make consise, informed decisions without feeling pressured into one lifestyle over another. I purschased this book for my Mother-In-Law, who is as far apart from me on the eating spectrum as possible, but who will still be able to glean wonderful and relevant information from this book.
My favorite section was the top twelve food list, honorable mention food list, and top-ten foods for each vitmin, mineral, and food classification. By implementing these foods into my family's lifestyle, I have increased the diversity of our meals, while feeling confident that my family of six is getting all the nutritional requirements that they need. I used the food circle as a guide to create a weekly nutrition plan for my family, and using that, I prepare weekly meal plans using the tops foods for each category. This also helps when it is time to do the shopping, as I only need to get the items on the mealplan, minus what I already have in the pantry. It sure helps for me in the kitchen! As a Mom who doesn't relish her time spent in the kitchen, this book helps me to maximize the nutritional efficiency of the time that I do spend in there!
This book helped me to take the final step into vegetarianism, and introduced me to the world of whole foods. Thanks, Dr. and Martha Sears!

$18.99