5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Movie From Tyler Perry
*Please Note: There May be Spoilers in My Review*

Tyler Perry has become one of my favorite actors / directors. He seems to, "get" what women feel / know and what we, as humans ahould always remember, that to treat strangers with respect as they may be angels in disguise.

Charlotte ( Kathy Bates ) and Alice ( Alfre Woodard ) have been friends for...
Published on January 15, 2009 by M. Wench

3.0 out of 5 stars A Perry movie
It is a classic Tyler Perry movie about love, friendship, and betrayal. Nothing particularly impressive about it, but mildly entertaining nonetheless.
Published 14 months ago by Misha Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Movie From Tyler Perry, January 15, 2009
*Please Note: There May be Spoilers in My Review*

Charlotte ( Kathy Bates ) and Alice ( Alfre Woodard ) have been friends for over 30 years. Charlotte is a rich woman and Alice is a middle class woman, yet their friendship has thrived for so many years. I have to say that if Anyone is Blessed to have a friend as wonderful as Alice, God has Blessed them, cause not too many people come around like her that keep you grounded and love you no matter what.

We meet Charlotte and Alice at the wedding of Alice's daughter Andrea. Charlotte is picking up the tab for the whole wedding, as Alice is her dear friend and Charlotte's own son decided to elope, so Charlotte can't do the whole Southern grand wedding thing for him.

I didn't like Andrea ( Alice's daughter ) at all when I first was introduced to her. To me, she was a spoiled, spiteful woman who had major issues with Charlotte and why her mom was allowing Charlotte to pay for her wedding. She was still dislikable through almost all the movie to me.

Charlotte's son, William Cartwright, played by, Cole Hauser, is a major leech, judging by the way his eyes undress Andrea, Sanaa Lathan, at her wedding. It's implied, then shown that William and Andrea become lovers, while their kind and supportive spouses know nothing about what is going on. Andrea's husband Chris, Rockmond Dunbar, and his brother-in-law Ben, Tyler Perry, want to start their own construction business, and Chris approaches William regarding a construction company and William can become a share holder in the new company. William does a usual ya-da ya-da, and a, "I will get back to your wife to get to you" jabber and then tells Andrea that he will fire her husband which she promptly agrees to.

Meanwhile, Alice and Charlotte decide to do a spontaneous road trip west to see and do whatever they feel like seeing and doing. You can see the special bond between the two women and the love they share, as Alice puts up with a lot of Charlotte's wild ways and spontinaity, yet manages to keep her faith and get Charlotte Baptized in the whole journey. It is on this journey that Alice discoveres that Charlotte has early Alzheimer's and doesn't want Alice to tell anyone - especially her no good, power grubbing son.

Charlotte butts heads with her son who wants to rule the company. She knows he isn't ready to rule, so she hires Robin Givens to help run her company, much to her son's dismay and anger. William plans a secret meeting to oust his mother as head of the company, but Charlotte intervenes
, thanks to a forewarning by her not-so-favored daughter-in-law.

This movie has a wonderful way of making a person thankful for those that love them, for enjoying the life one has been Blessed with, and making the most of kindness to others. This movie made me mad at Andrea and want to slap her upside the head and tell her she isn't gonna get her, "other man", and to listen to her mom and sister, cause they know better. Made me appreciate the gift of my best friend and the love of my husband and how Alice's faith in God helped her every day through all her life's trials.

As with most Tyler Perry movies, I can not praise them enough for the messages and entertainment value he provides. You'll sit and watch this to enjoy a movie, but you will also feel your heart and conscience get bigger, just like the grinch in the Dr. Suess story did.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best movies I have ever seen, January 11, 2009
Patrizia (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First of all if you are looking for some of that over the top comic that acting that Tyler Perry has it is not your movie. I admit I don't like that type of comedy.. Medea.. etc.. not for me. So it took me a while to find out that Tyler Perry is not all about the silly acting.

I LOVED Why did I get married, and also This Christmas and Meet the Browns had its moments but this is the BEST hands down. its NOT a comedy but a serious film about family, ties, loyality and being betrayed... it is ONE of the best films I think I have ever seen...

Perry has this reputation for these comic rolls and for some reason I can't understand everytime I see one of his movies I am one of the only white people in the theater.. his movies appeal to ALL types of people.. it is easy to relate too and the acting and writing are first rate.. try this.. you won't regret.. if you don't believe me.. rent it, after that you you will want a copy of your own... FANTASTIC FILM

5.0 out of 5 stars The family that prays, December 11, 2008
This is one of my favorite movies! There are moments were i was like in tears because this movie is filled with so many twist and turns. Sanaa lathuns charactor is horrible, she is so dramatic but she did a great job in this role. Tyler perry picked a really great caste for this movie, so if like his other movies the you'll love this one.It is a funny movie but it is also sad and there are times it will make you mad, but at the end everything comes together.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly remarkable work of emotional art, March 21, 2010
What do you get when you mix a homey ghetto family with one of old money and prestige? You get people - with all the warts and needs that people so often come with - human beings with issues that hold claim to no class or social distinctions. Tyler Perry seemed to bring the two together in this film, bringing one up a notch and one down, or, maybe showing that there are no such distinctions when it comes to the human drama and that they were on the same level all along.

I can not praise this film enough. It truly, truly blew me away, and when it was over I felt slightly changed. Having been smitten with Tyler Perry since I saw a DVD of his stage play 'Diary of a Mad Black Woman', this film was a departure from his normal poignant humor and delivered a burst of the brilliant filmmaker he is fast becoming. 'The Family that Preys' is truly a remarkable work of emotional art - one that will age like the finest of wines. ~ Taylor Siluwé, author of Dancing With The Devil

5.0 out of 5 stars Alfre Woodard and Kathy Bates make Thelma and Louise look like boneheads, July 6, 2010
Alfre Woodard and Kathy Bates are two of the most underappreciated, powerful actresses in film today. I cannot say that enough, and the proof is I haven't reviewed a single Kathy Bates film and only one Alfre Woodard film that I can recall (DOWN IN THE DELTA).

Tyler Perry's THE FAMILY THAT PREYS is beautifully dominated by these two beautiful women, both of whom play strong, independent mothers. This seems to be a subject close to Perry's heart of hearts, and he does it better than any director.

This will be short and sweet, because this film is a classic. Perry has his weak spots as a director--such as his occasionally confusing stories and his indecision about how to anchor a film--but THE FAMILY has none of that. This dramatic masterpiece is the story of family ties, betrayals and a ruthless pragmatism (only Perry could manage a film that merits the latter description).

What I love best in this film is its Hitchcockian flavor--and no, it is not a chilling suspense film. In fact, Perry whacks his audiences over the head fantastically in ways Hitchcock could not. Perry writes about life. Hitchcock baked cinematic cakes.

There is no Madea in this film, though Perry has a supporting role (his fake hair is disappointing, or at least it looks fake). This is all nitty gritty, and not the usual grinding ghetto stories we see too often. This has the power and drama that proves Tyler Perry is color blind--to the betterment of his true inner vision.

In this film there is no division imposed on any character, black or white. Only the divisions that we all know too well, that should no longer exist. They do exist, and this story is part of that tale, too. Luckily, Perry can do subtle humor with the best of them as well, and we get tiny doses of it: just like life.

Get this and cherish this classic. In the distant future, say you were there when the film was new, when it was different in society. And say you had the joy of seeing Perry's films when they were first released. Tyler Perry is one director who deserves this world's pride and respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Touching, May 3, 2011
This movie really inspired me. To be more grateful of your mother and sometimes, I can be mean to my mom without noticing and this movie really inspired me to be kind to my mother and be more aware of how I treat others. Great movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Tyler Perry movie, March 9, 2011
As stated, this is not your typical Tyler Perry movie. Shows long-standing relationship of two great friends and their ungrateful children - lots of twists and turns and your happy when each one gets what's coming to them. Ending is a little sad (hope I didn't give too much away). This is definately a stock item for your DVD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tyler Perry's Best Film to Date, January 24, 2009
Love2Learn (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
Originally, I was not a Tyler Perry fan. His earlier movies to me seemed to portray African American families in such a stereotypically degrading way. Mr. Perry's most recent films now cast African Americans in more varying angles.

This movie stars Alfre Woodard and Kathy Bates. These two ladies have honed their acting craft to perfection. Sharing the screen with them is an amazing ensemble cast. Their acting in totality is seamless which makes the families and this story truly believable.

The script was well written. When you think you have the entire story together and gather a "what is going to happen next is..." expectation, you are given a surprise. This is delightful as it draws you more into their stories.

This is the first time I have seen a Tyler Perry movie where all of the actors mesh well together and the scenes flow perfectly. The only awkward scene I believe that should have been shot another way was the one with Kathy Bates in church sitting on a pew. That scene was too long. Although it was meaningful, it could have been done another way.

This movie is definitely a DVD purchase, not a rental.

4.0 out of 5 stars A High-Drama Think Piece...., February 12, 2009
Tyler Perry's film lacks Madea. She's not needed, especially since there is very little humor in this serious film.

Selfish behavior and greed ooze out of the grown children's pores. The rich Cartwright family boasts of one tough mother (Kathy Bates) and one seedy son. The poorer Pratt family is a spicy and sweet mother (Alfre Woodard), a diner owner and neighborhood Mother Theresa, with two daughters who needed more spankings as children, or at least timeouts. The less obnoxious of the two daughters, Pam, is bitter. Andrea is all out selfish and disrespectful of all including her marriage, husband, mother, sister and anyone who crosses her path. Tyler Perry plays a common sense and kind character who is an asset to the families.

The mothers, nearly lifelong friends, are the bright spot in the film. A few pleasant surprises and some unpleasant ones make for a satisfying end, not necessarily happy, but satisfying. Good acting and honest consequences make the movie a good conversation starter for older teens. Drama and materialism isn't necessarily the secret of a successful life. A good think piece for adults as well. The PG-13 rating is appropriate.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Gem! Keep them coming Tyler.., March 9, 2010
I am a huge fan of Tyler Perry's previous works. I just had the pleasure of seeing The Family that Preys, last night. Wonderful story and superb performances by the lovely Alfre Woodward and the solid Kathy Bates. They had a wonderful chemistry, and I really enjoyed their scenes together. Tyler Perry has a gift for keeping his stories real and heartfelt, and always throws wonderful nuggets of wisdom and truth in his movies.
Alfre Woodward's character was a beautiful example of a woman with a true Christian heart. No hypocrisy, and her scenes rebuking with the holy oil and the bible were laugh out loud funny. The acting was top notch by all the performers ( Robin Givens gives a fine performance as well, I always think she is unfairly judged.) The story is one that deals with real issues that face us as flawed human beings. I look forward to more of Tyler Perry's work in the future. For the most part his movies become better and better as he grows in his work. In this society that hails so many out and out stupid movies as genius, this is a TRUE gem that does not need to resort to excessive violence, sex, cursing because it is of such high quality.

The Family that Preys [Blu-ray]
The Family that Preys [Blu-ray] by Tyler Perry (Blu-ray - 2010)
$14.99 $9.29