The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$24.02 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This cookbook was not quite what I had hoped for, but it's still a lovely book and has value:

I saw the title on this cook book and it called to me: Even though I commute into Houston for work Monday through Friday, we live an hour away in the country. We grow our own veggies and herbs, raise chickens for eggs, pick our own fruit, visit the processing plant for sides of pork, catch our own fish, pick up shrimp and oysters at the boat dock and patronize an old-time butcher. I augment our own food with stops at an Asian market and a "regular" well-stocked food store on my route home from work. Eating fresh and cooking from scratch is an every day event for us. So I figured this was a great book for my cook book library. I pictured dog-eared, well-worn pages within a few months' time.

So, of course, I was looking forward to seeing what this cook book had to offer. Even my husband was excited and anxiously awaited its arrival. Specifically, what I was looking for (always looking for...): NEW, intriguing and interesting recipes for tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, Japanese eggplant, fresh beans and string beans, peaches, figs, pecans, eggs and ice cream. I didn't find them. Well, I found a few good recipes, even a few great recipes, but there weren't enough to make it the outstanding, inspiring book that I had hoped it would be. And for tomatoes, zukes and cukes there were only a token few recipes and they were kind of mediocre.

Don't get me wrong: This is not a poor cook book, nor is it an average cook book. It's a nice read, filled with decent recipes using fresh ingredients and many great accompanying sauces and slaws. But I was expecting (and aching for) a cook book that I could rate an over-the-top six stars, but--as you can see--after nearly a month of working with this book, and thinking hard on it, I've ended up giving it (a low) four stars.

Not recipe-related:

From the stories the author tells as an introduction to each chapter, I find I like this guy and his family and friends. I envy him and his group of helpers and the way they pitch in and get the work done; the way the older members coach and encourage the younger ones; the way they respect the land and the old farm and its heritage. And this last point might well be the most important about the book, for this cook book surely is a beautiful tribute to the Knauer Family Farm in Knauertown, Pennsylvania, (in Warwick Township, Chester County).

What I liked:

--The radish butter is "to die for", (if you make it with top quality bacon) and we've been chomping our way through our radishes as quickly as they pop above the ground (but this is not a healthy recipe...)
--The idea for "Master Fat" is one of those ideas where you smack your forehead and say to yourself "Why didn't I think of this?!" It's a keeper idea.
--This book encouraged me to use more scallions, and I have, and I'm hooked. We are onion lovers and use Texas 1015 Sweet onions daily, but scallions are now pre-empting the onions in our Spring-time dishes.
--There are some beautiful old recipes that the author has graciously passed down to all of us from his grandmother. Being a collector of old recipe cards and old recipes in general, I know that these are not easy to part with and are hard to come by.
--There is a tangy Pennsylvania Dutch-style sauce for green beans, golden in color, and made with milk, vinegar, brown sugar and onions. It is luscious (and almost too good for green beans).
--The strawberry and sour cream ice cream recipe is different from any I've found online or in a book. I am tweaking the recipe a bit, but it's great as is. (We love to make ice cream.)
--The Rhubarb-Sour Cream Crostata Pie is superb.
--There are plenty of swiss chard, corn and radish recipes.

I have mixed feelings about:

--The claim that these are "recipes for a year of incredible food" since it implies more recipes than there are, and because I'm already struggling to find recipes in the book for things I can make from what I have at hand (in our gardens or in our freezers).
--There are substitutions offered for some hard-to-find ingredients--and they don't always work well. For instance: In the Mustard Garlic Chicken Paillards with Spring Peas and Lemon, I substituted (as suggested) frozen peas for fresh. It was a mistake. I should have gone with another green veggie because the frozen peas brought the whole dish down. I will use this recipe again, because it was otherwise very good, and I'll try it with baby limas or just go with sugar snap peas.
--There is a good representation of all kinds of greens, maybe too many?
--Grilling instructions will be inadequate for beginning grillers: "Preheat the grill." Is about the extent of the directions you'll receive. This doesn't bother me because I've been grilling for more years than I'd like to say, but many inexperienced grillers will be left in a quandary.
--There seems to be an abundance of what I would call "blah" recipes: Green beans with garlic chips, garlic pesto roast chicken, a BLT sandwich, a Lebanon baloney sandwich (more a tribute to his Grandfather than a real recipe), chilled corn soup, simple white bread recipes, braised lamb shanks, grilled romaine, a green goddess dressing, chicken with a ton of garlic. I could add many more. Maybe I feel that way because I am a very experienced home cook. Other cooks may be very happy with these simpler recipes: They are perfectly fine recipes, just simple and somewhat basic.
--There are other recipes that lack depth: For instance there is a chicken stew and dumplings, and the chicken is cooked in water--not broth--and I found that the resulting flavor was not what it could be. There are others.

What I didn't like, (but maybe you will):

--I will never make an all-parsley salad. Never.
--I will never cook a 2 ½" thick rib eye steak in a pan on the stovetop.
--I will never have the opportunity to roast a whole pig. (Maybe I should never say never...but...) Between pictures, story and recipe, there are eight pages dedicated to this activity. In this particular book, I think that's a few too many pages.
--Same with the canning section: I don't need another recipe for canned tomatoes, tomato sauce or ketchup. Plus I don't can now; I do refrigerator and freezer pickles because it keeps the kitchen cooler.
--Definitely not enough tomato, zucchini and cuke recipes. I said it above and feel it necessary to say it again. There are only a minimum, only a token few.
--I will never find garlic scapes or ramps in my neck of the woods.*

*The potential buyer of this cook book should take into consideration that while most recipes contain ingredients readily available across the country, the veggie recipes feature plants and herbs that grow on this particular Pennsylvanian farm. So, you won't find a recipe for okra or one for watermelon. You'll find walnuts and apples, not pecans and peaches. And the foraging chapter is geared to the north and foraging in the south will be different. And while there's meat from the local butcher or from the fields surrounding the farm, you won't find a single recipe that includes fish or other seafood--well, anchovies are in there somewhere. You will find a few recipes for ramps, garlic scapes, wild mushrooms and critters that you won't find down south. Substitutions are provided for regional items you might not be able to find (except ramps and garlic scapes, for which there are no suitable subs).
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 5, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It does seem as if farm-to-table cookbooks have become as ubiquitous as dandelions. Ian Knauer's The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food is an appealing entry with an engaging narrative about working a farm that belonged to his Pennsylvania grandparents. I suspect that the photography, by the Canal House series writers Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer, is every bit as gorgeous as the black and white proofs in my review copy seem to promise.

And now to the recipes (including two for dandelions). I won't review a cookbook without making a serious effort to try a range of recipes. Knauer's choices are an eclectic bunch, from a recipe for baking powder biscuits straight out of his grandmother's recipe box (Crisco!) to a recipe for a roast chicken basted and finished with wheat beer. The biscuits were light and tasty, the chicken perfectly pleasant, with plenty of liquid to moisten the leftovers. Likewise, a rhubarb crostata was nice, if unexceptional, while short ribs with dried fruit was on the rich and heavy side. Guests took seconds on the tart but not the ribs. Raisin-caper broccoli was good, but does the world need another recipe for lemon pudding cake or molasses raisin cookies? I think I liked the Dandelion Greens with Garlic, Pine Nuts, and Golden Raisins the best of all.

I doubt I'll reach for this book very much. My go-to cookbooks when the garden is bursting are Marian Morash's sensibly arranged (by vegetable) Victory Garden Cookbook, Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, and Alice Waters's The Art of Simple Food. What I like about these three books is that so many of the recipes are delicious and simple, whereas some of the non-Grandma ones in The Farm strike me as a bit contrived. It must be difficult to write a new cookbook that focuses on seasonal produce that is so good that it needs little adornment (unless it's the woodchuck, the subject of one amusing recipe). The truth is that beautiful produce in season and the hard-working home gardeners that labor to produce it deserve a minimum of fuss.

M. Feldman
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 15, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I requested The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food for the recipes but ended up loving it primarily for the writing.

The author's introduction describes the book well: "This book is a journal of abundance and the beginning of a new generation's thumbprint on what has become an ancient family tradition. Chapters follow the seasons of the garden, beginning in the early spring and ending well into the winter."

Each chapter opens with an anecdote of time the author spent on his family's farm in Pennsylvania and each recipe includes a note about the history of the dish, preparation tips, and/or serving suggestions.

In addition to an index at the end of the book, recipes are listed by category on three pages prior to the introduction: Starters (8); Soups (2); Salads and Slaws (14); Breakfast and Brunch (3); Sandwiches and Pizza (7); Breads (4); Pasta, Rice and Polenta (11); Poultry (14); Pork (10); Beef (5); Lamb (2); Game (7); Side Dishes (26); Preserves (14); Desserts (21) and Miscellaneous (5).

The first chapter, Spring Planting, includes recipes for:

* Sorrel-Buttermilk Panna Cotta
* Sour Cherry Cordial
* Homemade Yogurt with Wineberries in Honey Syrup
* Blueberry Belle Crunch

The following chapter, The Unstoppable Bounty of the Garden, includes recipes for:
* Chilled Corn Soup with Red Pepper Relish
* Grilled Zucchini with Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette
* Cocoa-Zucchini Cake with "Whipped Cream" Frosting
* Zucchini with Their Flowers
* Magic Peach Cobbler

The seventh chapter is entitled, "A Jar Full of Sunshine, A Bottle Full of Sin" and includes a guide to canning plus recipes for:
* Pickled Beets

* Creamy Long-Cooked Collards
* Mustardy Mustard Collard Greens
* Silky Eggplant Puree
* Pumpkin Cake with Bourbon-Caramel Sauce

The ninth chapter is entitled, "Loving, Learning, and a Ton of Hard Work." Recipes include:
* Lebanon Bologna Sandwiches
* The Best Meat Loaf
* Rabbit in Cider-Mustard Sauce
* Mustard-Garlic Venison Roast (or Boneless Leg of Lamb)
* Venison Loin (or Beef Tenderloin) with Creamy Leek Sauce

* Chile Vinegar-Parsley Salad
* Fresh Ginger-Apple Tarte Tatin
* Apple Rumble Crumble
* Grandma McLean's Molasses Crumb Cupcakes

The Pennsylvania Dutch clearly influenced the author's family (as far as work ethic and cuisine). You can see in the list of recipes that most of the dishes, even the vegetable sides, include meat (including one that features groundhog).

I would like to have seen more vegetarian recipes. The Green Salad with Green Goddess Dressing calls for anchovies, Pasta with Radishes and Blue Cheese and Pasta with Shredded Collard Greens both call for bacon, and both Cold-Spring-Night Asparagus Soup and Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Polenta call for chicken stock. While I can easily leave out the bacon and use vegetable stock in place of the chicken stock, the recipes depend on the original ingredients for the flavor profile.

Most of the ingredients are likely to be found in the average kitchen. While the author includes recipes that call for venison (and one for groundhog), he makes it clear that other types of meat can be substituted for a similar result. Similarly, while he recommends black walnuts for the Black Walnut Cake, he notes that regular English walnuts may be substituted.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the review, I really enjoyed the author's writing style. He has a wonderful way of describing his experiences on the farm that made me feel as if I were there with him. His descriptions were vivid (without being overly wordy). Here is an example from "A Cool Change in the Breeze":

"On cue, the days became shorter, the leaves started to turn the colors of sunsets, and there was an unfamiliar chill on the edge of the dark night air. The peppers in their hued extravagance cried out to be saved. I dried the seeds from my favorite peppers and placed them in waxed paper bags, ready to placate my impatience in the coming March."

The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food was chosen as a "Must Read" in the April issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine: "Peppered with personal anecdotes, this cookbook reads more like a food diary. You'll want to keep this one in arm's reach." It was also one of three cookbooks chosen as "Recommended Reading" in the May 2012 issue of Country Living.

I am planting my first vegetable garden this summer and will be sure to consult The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food for recipes when it comes time to harvest.
VINE VOICEon April 11, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There is something really jarring about this book. Knauer is a former food editor for Gourmet magazine and his choice of recipes proves it; if nothing else, this is a great book for farmer's market meals, or just vegetable recipes. It's also got a strong country accent from the author's rural background; the book isn't exactly packed with game recipes, but they're an important part of the overall collection; lest you feel unconvinced of Knauer's non-poser status, there's even recipes for jams, jellies, and hard cider. And the food photography is beautiful (even in advance-copy black and white), with a distinct rustic quality to it.

But the narrative components are weird, drifting between dreamy and lucid seemingly at random, with more than a few odd and/or loopy turns of phrase and abrupt changes of style. This isn't bad, but it's not going to be to everyone's taste. Fortunately, the narrative sections can be largely ignored if you don't particularly enjoy that sort of thing; the book is very browser-friendly. Overall, you'll probably enjoy it unless you're a vegetarian, but there are moments where you'll find the book taking odd turns; you can't really know if you're going to enjoy them until you've had a chance to flip through it before buying first.

As for the woodchuck... spoilers.
on March 21, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ian Knauer lives farm-to-table. He gardens, keeps bees, raises animals, forages, and more. This book shows how to turn all of that into incredible food. The book contains ten chapters that are very seasonal. He has basically four chapters on summer alone (early summer, midsummer, peak summer, and foraging). There are chapters on canning and preserving, as well as one for game. So this covers every aspect of "country living" or simply cooking with fresh, seasonal produce.

Recipes range from biscuits, tarts, soups, and roasts to hard cider, whole-roasted-pig, wild greens, and jams. Knauer includes brief summaries to each recipe and some of them are quite incredible. One cake recipe came from his grandmother, with a note on the back of the recipe card saying it was the recipe for their 1944 wedding cake. The recipes I've tried have been great. The biscuits are phenomenal...I really didn't think they'd be that much better than any I've made before. The strawberry and sour cream ice cream is fantastic and just screams summer.

I do wish the cookbook had more pictures, but the recipes are great and encourage readers to get out and buy fresh produce, forage where they can, and give step-by-step instructions for roasting a whole pig. Perfect. Strongly recommended.
on July 3, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
First, this is a good cook book, it's not comprehensive, but it has more recipes than a lot of coffee-table cook books. The Pennsylvania-Dutch green bean sauce was a hit with my family, the mac and cheese is a good and easy recipe, and the fried grits are great. There isn't a lot here that can't be found elsewhere (although if you google Amish green beans, you come across casserole dishes using canned beans that are nothing like Knauer's), but what is here is carefully laid out and the introductory sections are well written and enjoyable on their own.

I would also like to point out that this book is very well formatted for kindle with hyperlinks that actually work and pictures that are properly sized

edit:

I've been using this book pretty regularly since I bought it now and am still impressed with most of the recipes, however one thing has begun to annoy me- this book is not well proof read. For example, the Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie first instructs you to mash half the strawberries as the base of the filling, In the last paragraph, the recipe tells you to halve the remaining strawberries and stir them into the filling. That's the last time strawberries are mentioned, so what about the final quarter? (I used the second half instead of halving and the recipe comes out great- I've made it a few times including subbing blue berries for blackberries, and it is easy and tastes good) Little things like that seem to keep popping up. I've made a few recipes, and most come out at least acceptable, most really good (the above mentioned pie and green beans, the mac and cheese, the fried grits, the corn salad listed with the brick oven chicken...) and I've only really had one disaster- the short ribs we're terrible (the meat was fall off the bone good, but the sauce was apricots and prunes floating in fat, after skimming, nothing was left), I might try them again, but I have other recipes that I like, so probably not. The main complaint seems to be the inclusion of game recipes, but he includes substitute meats (chicken for ground hog in the cacciatore), and the sauces are still good on other meats.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover
This is one of those lovely books I like to leaf through while sipping overchilled viognier by the pool. Then, even after half the bottle is gone, because it's idiot-proof, I can go inside and make the Magic Peach Cobbler. Sometimes I use plums instead of peaches, sometimes both. Even though there are only two of us, I almost always do this twice a week. BigDog bogarts most of it, and more often than not I have to resort to the rest of the viognier for dessert. *sigh*
Yes, the bologna sandwich is pedestrian. But don't you find you forget how satisfying it can be?
I made the bread, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'll make the green beans, because I had forgotten about those too, and I'll try other recipes. But the reward of this book (besides the cobbler) is that it is so pleasant, like all those lovely Lee Bailey books that transport one to Patnos or Pass Christian. There's nothing wrong with partnering wine with a cookbook.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 26, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ian Knauer was a former food editor at Gourmet magazine, he also write and develops recipes in NYC. On the weekends he goes to him family farm in PA and grows food, raises chickens, keeps bees and more. These recipes were developed to use the seasonal food on the farm, in wonderful ways.

The recipes are broken up into sections: late winter, early spring, spring, early summer, summer, midsummer, foraged produce, peak summer, recipes for canning, pickling and preserving, late fall, recipes for wild game and recipes for late fall and winter produce. And there are some great stories to go along with many of the recipes.

I've tried a number of recipes already, Grilled Zucchini with Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette, Seared Duck Breasts with Chanterelles, Green salad with Green Goddess dressing and buttermilk ricotta cheese that you can make yourself. Everything was great and the recipes were easy to follow. There are a lot more recipes I will be trying from this book. Highly recommended!
on January 28, 2015
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I was looking for a cookbook featuring recipes tied to the garden and its seasons. This ain't it. This is more like a New York editor's attempt to create a pretty picture book for city-dwellers who wish they lived on a farm. The text that accompanies the recipes and pictures is anything but practical and informative. The few recipes included are either pretentious or stupid (one whole glossy page on how to make a bologna sandwich). Don't waste your money.
on October 29, 2014
Format: Hardcover
One of my top cookbooks, I absolutely love it! However, the book is falling apart, literally. I've seen more and more books do this, and I guess it's like everything else these days---quality and workmanship are going down the drain. Bookbinding is a lost art. But the book itself is well-written, very interesting reading, and a nice variety of recipes using produce and wildlife from the land. I love the cilantro chicken and even the woodchuck recipe!