Published on June 19, 2010 by Jean C. Howe

1.0 out of 5 stars Over Rated
This book did not offer details on the economics, production, or start up of a small dairy. It just glazed over the concepts and identified issues without offer solutions.
Published on June 5, 2012 by shaun j alf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete guide to running and building a small, farm based cheese business, June 19, 2010
This review is from: The Farmstead Creamery Advisor: The Complete Guide to Building and Running a Small, Farm-Based Cheese Business (Paperback)
Thinking of building a farmstead cheese business? This book is a must! The Farmstead Creamery Advisor contains a wealth of information about the small farmstead creamery from start to finish. Published just two months before we break ground on our own building, this book saved me weeks and weeks of research and answered virtually all of my questions (questions I should have been asking were also answered). I am also sure it saved us a lot of money!

The book is also a great read, it is thoughtful and engaging. Taking great ideas from many different sources, it becomes a study in `best practices'. I loved all the photos of dairies across the U.S., the behind the scene views you don't find in publicity or website shots. There are side notes offering in depth explanations, ingenious tips, and the must do of the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance. Unlike the PMO and other official guides, this book tells it plain English and with illustrations. It is understandable and workable.

The details throughout the book are amazing: a useful milk can storage rack from Vermont's Lazy Lady Farm, a sump pump removing whey from Alabama's Sweet Home Farm, chemical guides, hot water heater comparisons, quality assurance and safety tests and procedures, even sources and suppliers, just as examples. The details extend into the financial and business aspects as well. This resource has given me much confidence as we proceed with our business. I have even recommended it to the state dairy inspector. It is a thorough and complete guide and a great reference for anyone involved in the field. I will use it for years to come. This book will get us up and running sooner and smoother -- thanks to Gianaclis Caldwell from Pholia Farm!

Lissa Howe
Chiva Risa Ranch, Arizona

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't do cheese without it!, July 5, 2010
This is one of the most informative, short books I have ever had the pleasure to read. If you are considering making cheese on a small or modest scale, i.e., you don't want to compete with Kraft, this book does a fabulous job of presenting the business considerations. This is not a "how to" book for making cheese per se. It is a spectacular "how to" book about the considerations surrounding the creation of a successful cheese-makiong and marketing business. After reading it, one is able to evaluate what is involved and make resonably informed decisions about the perils and pleasures of becoming a cheese maker and marketer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farmstead Creamery Advisor-Awesome!, July 28, 2010
What an incredible resource for my husband and me to read before we start
building our farmstead creamery. I worked at a commercial goat
farm for 3 years and a very large organic milk company as well and I knew a lot but
when we decided to go pro with our goat farm and make cheese for sale to the public I had no idea
where to start or stop! This book has opened up all sorts of
discussions and I'm sure will save us time, money and
headaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Must-Have" Book, January 24, 2011
JennyT (Colchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I recommend this book, with absolutely no reservations, to anyone considering any sort of dairy or cheese-making operation. This book was very complete and did a fine job of outlining some of the many aspects of cheesemaking from a practical standpoint. If you are wondering how much time, money, effort and rewards are involved in this sort of life; here is a book that gives you some answers! This book DOES NOT tell you how to make cheese, so if that is what you are looking for, skip it. This book is about the nuts and bolts of putting together a successful business, along with some very good advice that comes from the author's own experience, along with the experience of other dairy business owners. I have found this book to be THE most valuable book I have purchased in the last year as I gather materials and learn the best way to approach creating my dream!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing gift, July 13, 2010
Marilyn P "mapratt" (S.F. Peninsula, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm in the process of plowing through all the rules and regulations involved with starting a dairy and a creamery, hanging on for dear life as I skate the edge of frustration with trying to deal with a system created to keep our food safe in this big-ag industrial age, while I am simply trying to create a high quality, hand-crafted, inherently healthy product.

Then Gianaclis Caldwell publishes this wonderfully-written, wise, practical, reasonable, workable, beautiful, thorough, oh I can't come up with enough good words to describe this book. If you think you want to start a small-scale dairy and a creamery, to make and sell cheese, you must buy this book. It will help you pull together and make sense of the regulations, the equipment choices, building layouts, ... I devoured the book in less than a week, tho it's a jam-packed 226 pages, with the knowledge that there are several chapters I will read a few more times to get out of them everything I can glean. I will use the info to help work with inspectors who only know big cow dairies. This book will help me avoid making so many mistakes, and will help me put together a much more robust and safe process for creating my products than I could possibly have done, even with all the other reading and training I am doing and have planned.

This book is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have resource, April 24, 2012
Thinking you might like to sell cheese you've made? Have dairy goats (or cows or sheep), and wanting to do more with your milky wealth? Wondering what you need to do to start a farmstead creamery/cheesery or even a small dairy? Then get this book!

Even though the focus of The Farmstead Creamery Advisor is centered on the business side of setting up a small creamery and marketing farmstead cheeses, it is also an excellent resource for anyone seeking sound business planning and marketing information for the small-scale agricultural producer.

This is a well-written book with a personable style that is refreshing and entertaining, crammed full of information. A definite must-have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable book!, October 7, 2012
I bought this book almost 2 years ago when I was just starting to research maybe opening our own creamery. My copy has been read, highlighted and re-read over and over since we began. It resided in the barn during construction so that even my electrician could consult it when needed. There is not another book on the market (and I have looked!) that has consolidated everything you need to consider and know going into this endeavor. No, it doesn't teach you how to make cheese or take care of your goats...but my goodness, if you are considering starting a creamery you should know those things already! What it does do is clarify regulations that are sometimes hard to understand and make you think of things you may have not considered. I am not exaggerating when I call this book our "Bible" since we began. Now we are mere weeks from being a Grade A dairy and a few months from a creamery. We would have done it without this book, but it sure made life easier! I would recommend it to anyone considering such a venture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for budding cheese making business!, August 11, 2011
Fabulous! My husband bought me the book for my birthday knowing my dream to start a cheese making business. What a great gift! I read the book in a few hours making notes as I read. By the time I finished, I had a business plan! I've been working on the business ever since, hoping to be up and running soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars required reading, even if you're only making cheese for fun, May 7, 2014
I met Gianaclis in Red Bluff a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with the second half of my life. I asked her about the reality of a single woman building and running a dairy. She was realistic but also encouraging. I spent the next 6 months building a business plan based largely on the guidance she gives in her book. She tells you what to do, but more importantly she tells you what questions you need answered and how she answered them, as well as how find other solutions that may work in each farm's unique situation. She goes into exhaustive detail for every aspect of building and managing facilities, the herd, and the dairy, including keeping government officials happy. She strongly and repeatedly advises the reader to contact their state and county Ag departments for local laws - very important. She does not sugar coat a very demanding lifestyle, but she does offer advise on ways to cope when things get in the weeds. Ultimately I did not go the dairy route - I live in CA and farming with livestock is regulated to a degree that makes it virtually impossible for the small farmer to succeed. However, I am in the process of moving to the Willamette Valley, in Oregon, and hope to revisit my dream. If you are serious, or even curious, about running a small commercial dairy this is the place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably helpful, March 4, 2013
I only found this book when I was 80% finished with construction of my milk house and plant. Not a novice cheesemaker I had avoided many pitfalls pointed out in the book but still was able to take the advise to avoid others. Thank you.
I also felt very blessed to have an existing barn and pasture set up. That having been said I spent $24,000 to get set up on the farm. I thought the budgetary guidelines were right on target.
Aissa O'Neil