From Publishers Weekly
Cardiologist Sinatra used to despair about his patients' fast food addictions, but "getting mad didn't do any good. So I got smarter." This book is the result, a call for good nutritional sense that takes a pragmatic approach toward the often-unwholesome eating habits of contemporary America. The nutritional advice Sinatra gives is basic but essential: eat more fiber, avoid trans fats, load up on fruit and vegetables. His theory is that if you're "eating right about 80% of the time, it's OK to splurge the other 20%." In his final estimate, though, he ends up recommending a very small portion of each menu he considers: french fries and big burgers are out, veggies and fish are almost always in. While there are many suggestions, as well as a comprehensive 6-week plan, for eating on the go, the fact that Sinatra can't quite avoid is that there is no substitute for eating nutritious foods correctly prepared. Instead, he provides transparent equivocations, like letting a Whopper Jr slide but admonishing, "you'll still want to eat leaner foods at home to compensate for the relatively high fat total." Subway sandwiches and "light" menus at sit-down chain restaurants (Applebee's, the Olive Garden) merit predictably higher marks. Perhaps the biggest reward for readers is a clearer understanding of just the body needs to function, and how little the fast food industry cares.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
* Eat super-sized fries, lose weight, and prevent disease? Not exactly. As cardiologist and nutritionist Sinatra (former chief of cardiology & director of medical education, Manchester Memorial Hosp.; Optimum Health: A Natural Lifesaving Prescription for Your Body and Mind) and Punkre (chief copywriter, Rodale Press) explain, their approach to weight loss is actually quite sensible: greatly decrease caloric intake by making healthier, more nutritious choices at fast food restaurants (fast food consumption should be limited to 20 percent of the daily diet) and increase activity with a 10,000-steps-a-day exercise regimen. The book includes an invaluable chapter listing the calorie and fat content of the offerings at the most popular food chains as well as a suggested meal plan for weight loss that incorporates fast food. Also useful is the chapter on vitamin and mineral supplementation. Michael F. Jacobson and Sarah Fritschner's The Fast-Food Guide covered similar ground but is now outdated. Recommended purchase for public libraries and for academic libraries serving colleges with courses in nutrition.
—Florence Scarinci, Nassau Community Coll. Lib., Garden City, New York (Library Journal, June 15, 2006)