Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 17, 2014
I have been on this program for 7 days so far. I know it may seem a bit early to post a review, but wanted to do so now for two reasons; first, I am excited by my results so far - I have already lost 9 pounds - and second, I was dismayed by the inaccurate review (V. Canfield) that deterred me from trying this diet program months ago.
First - about me so you know what you are dealing with. This is my first Amazon review ever. I am at least 60 pounds over weight. I have lost (and gained back) weight on at least three different programs and know I will lose weight with Weight Watchers if I really work at it and am very patient - but I knew it would take a long time and lots of deprivation to lose all that I need to lose to improve my health. Before I found this book I was pretty discouraged. I am tired of counting calories and had already worked out for myself that "calories" are a largely inaccurate concept when applied to food. I am pre-diabetic and have joint and skin issues. If that seems like too much sharing, I apologize. Personally, I hate reading reviews without enough information to understand the writer's point of view.
I read the basic details provided above and knew adhering to this program would involve a huge change in my lifestyle. I have a friend (a tiny, little friend who needed to lose about 20 pounds) who had lost weight on the FMD and she loved it. She loved the app and just followed it - but I needed more convincing. More motivation. When I first read about the diet I was hoping for something easier, looking for a way to eat more of what I love (cheese, sugar and corn) and wanting a magic wand. Then I read V. Canfield's review and it gave me the excuse I was looking for - I told my friend that the diet was a starvation program it would be unhealthy to eat so few 'calories'. She was surprised and told me that she never got hungry and had a hard time eating all of the food on the program. I went on WW Simply Filling program and told myself it would be ok - I would just have to starve and work out for years - sigh. I lost 3 pounds in two weeks and then I gained it all back - plus one more.
I went to the FMD website and read more and more about it. Desperate to stave off impending diabetes, I decided I would just buy the book and read it. I read it twice. I got excited about the science and appreciated the psychology of constantly changing things up every few days. It took me 3 weeks of organization and food testing and tasting to get ready to try the diet. I cleaned out at least half of my pantry and my fridge and finally convinced my husband to give it a try (he needs to lose 35 pounds).
We eat constantly. Sometimes I don't think I can get all of the food down. I am NEVER hungry - and I really like the food. I hate lettuce and celery and really prefer fried food to grilled; I can't tell you how much I love icing - but I discovered something new - I LOVE real food. Who knew? Blueberries and strawberries taste sweet to me now and I had no idea how much better organic hummus tastes. And calories? Today I am scheduled to eat 1785 "calories". I am down 9 pounds and my husband lost 7. My skin is clearer. Unbelievably we can both see a difference in our bellies - I have lost 15 pounds before and not seen this much change. This is exciting.
I find it very sad that V. Canfield's inaccurate representation of the program (the calorie counts artificially assume that you can only eat from the cook book, chooses some very lean recipes and then ignores that veggies are unlimited) review has turned so many people away from this program.
If you are inclined to be swayed by V. Canfield - please read the FMD website first. Note that this diet has a great many creditable proponents and has obviously worked for so many people. I kept trying to find detractors and really couldn't - other than V. Canfield who not only seems to be a sort of semi-professional "commenter" but, based on the review, didn't even try the program.
Change takes work. This is a program that makes that work more of an eating evolution - not a life time of deprivation.
****UPDATE**** 1/7/2015. I have been on the FMD program for 9 months now (except for the period between Thanksgiving and New Years Day) and have lost 95 pounds! I stuck to the program religiously until September - so 6 months. Then I started eating on the maintenance plan (basically phase 3 with the food from all the phases thrown in) and I continued to lose weight - just more slowly. When I get stuck, I just do a couple of phase 2 days and that usually helps me to lose a couple of pounds. I absolutely love eating this way. I feel fantastic and have left all of my health problems behind. I have energy to spare. I truly understand the concept of using food as medicine now. Beginning Thanksgiving week, I started eating holiday foods - so sugar, corn, wheat etc. The first week or so I was careful to just cheat a bit here and there. At first, I actually lost 8 pounds after T'giving, so I started feeling a bit bullet proof, obviously I had cured my metabolism and could now eat whatever I wanted, I thought. Grin! By Christmas time I was eating enough sugar that I was beginning to retain fluid, feel pain in my joints and have indigestion - all things that disappeared on the program. I gained back 5 of the 8 pounds I lost right after Thanksgiving and it has taken me a week to get rid of the sugar again - it is incredibly addictive! I managed it pretty easily by eating phase 3 again - with extra fruit and fat whenever I felt sugar cravings. I have lost 2 pounds this week and I am beginning to feel better. Over the holiday, while eating the sugar, my face got puffy, especially under my eyes. Loosing this much weight, I was really worried I would have horribly saggy skin (I am 55) - but I was looking pretty good until this past month when my face looked bloated and my eyes puffy from eating holiday foods. Sugar really is evil! I am in this for the long haul - aiming to lose at least 100 pounds - so stay tuned! I almost forgot to mention that my husband quickly and easily lost 30 pounds (of course!) and then decided he could go back to coffee with cream and pizza, etc. He gained back 8 pounds before he decided he really preferred the way he felt on the program - so he is still eating with me most days.
***1/23/2015 FOOT NOTE: I started this program to lose weight and I thought of my improved health as a natural benefit of weighing less, until I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWXrRftyOMY
Now I fully understand the truth behind the FMD. Once you watch this you will never look at food in America the same way again!
8282 comments|1,577 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The cover of this book makes a bold promise: "Lose up to 20 pounds in 28 days - Eat More Food & Lose More Weight". This idea combined with the suggestion of a faster metabolism sounds like a dream come true.

So, who is Haylie Pomroy and why should we listen to her? A quick Google search found a video segment on TV program "Access Hollywood" about how stars like Cher, Jennifer Lopez and Robert Downey Jr. go to this celebrity nutritionist to shape their great bodies. She looks fantastic and talks about avoiding unnatural foods such as fat-free, artificial sweeteners and chemical additives. She tells us to eat a healthy breakfast within 45 minutes of waking to rev up our metabolism (the book says 30 minutes). I can tell already that this is based on sound information and not another fad diet.

As the title suggests, this book is about creating a faster metabolism to burn more calories. The author exposes myths and truths about metabolism and how many people have created a slow metabolism. Some are real eye openers like "It's not about calorie counting" and "deserts do not make you fat". Okay, I really want to know more.

The program itself consists of a 28 day plan followed by guidelines for fast metabolism living. It is divided into different phases, each with a purpose.
Phase 1 - Unwind Stress. High glycemic, moderate protein, low fat phase.
Phase 2 - Unlock Fat Stores. High protein, high vegetable, low carb, low fat phase.
Phase 3 - Hormones, Heart & Heat. High healthy fat, moderate carb, moderate protein, low glycemic fruit.
Each phase has a list of foods to select from with recommended exercise type.

At first glance, I thought this might be too restrictive for many people to follow. You have to give up wheat, corn, dairy, soy, refined sugar, caffeine (please don't take my coffee), alcohol (kill me now and get it over with), fruit juice and artificial sweeteners.

The author does give compelling reasons for these changes along with advice for anticipated challenges. For example, if you can't give up your coffee, eat first. Coffee on an empty stomach is a metabolism killer because it pulls sugar from your muscles to balance hormones. Refined sugar will weaken your immune system by 50 percent for two hours after you eat it. Interesting stuff. She does remind us that this is a 28 day program and not something you have to do for life.

Haylie does give us suggestions for customizing the plan as well as dealing with the emotional landmines and pitfalls that may pop up along the way. There are times when I question how we might stick to this and then she reminds of the benefits and I feel inspired again. She also realizes that we are human with emotional ties to food. There are four weeks of recipes included.

This is not a program you have to stick to the rest of your life, and she suggests repeating the program (or a week or two of it) on a regular basis to keep your metabolism going fast if you have not been able to maintain the basic process. Some of the rules she gives are so important that you will probably learn to live with them. I may never look at corn, wheat and soy the same way again.

Does it work? My wife applied most of the techniques suggested in the book (no, she didn't give up her coffee) and lost nearly 10 lbs. Admittedly, she was not following it as strictly as suggested, and still saw results. There appears to be additional benefits as well. I gave the book to a friend with celiac disease, who was anxious to try this after seeing the author on the Dr. Oz show. After completing one cycle, she said her temperature rose significantly which she said is a sign that her thyroid levels are improving.

Bottom line: The book is loaded with great information about how your body works with gentle nudges to help you stay on track. The author has a personal writing style with a combination of facts and stories that make this book very readable. Some people will still have a problem giving up some of their favorite foods because it can be restrictive. Still, the knowledge you gain makes this book a "must read".

Bill Cashell - Author of "The Emotional Diet"
4747 comments|1,328 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2013
I was in top shape when I got pregnant at 40 years old. In the past 3 years I've been unable to lose 30 pounds - sadly - I gained weight after losing most of my baby weight. My metabolism died essentially - I worked from home and sat most of the day. I ate every left over carb snack my son left on his plate and at my largest meal at 9pm. I couldn't find the time to include exercise into our busy lives since my husband has a very challenging work schedule. It was a nightmare - each month I saw the scale go up, my energy go down, sleep issues, etc. I saw the author on Dr Oz and thought this made sense and i would try it for 28 days - what did I have to lose. The first week - I lost 3 pounds - and I followed the plan to the T except I wasn't used to eating as much food as I needed to. The second week I lost an additional 5 pounds but what I noticed the most was lost of inches. I'm in the middle of my third week and I'm down 2 pounds - and I will admit I cheated because I've had a very stressful week. What is stunning to me is how TERRIFIC I feel. Not only did I lose inches around my body - I went from size 14 to 12 already. I am having the hardest time eating enough food to be honest. Now unless you really have terrible eating habits - meaning you eat everything from a package that is processed and not considered REAL food - this isn't so challenging. I'm a foody - I LOVE exotic cheese and coffee has sustained me for the past 3 years. Oddly - I don't miss them - though as I get closer to my goal weight I know I can go back to eating them responsibly. So - I started Phase 1 on a Monday because I thought it would be more enjoyable to eat my good fats on the Friday/Sat/Sun. The hardest part is Phase 2 for me because I hate protein. The best part of this is you have a family is that your family can eat like you do - they can add in the extra's that we've eliminated, but it's very easy to make only 1 meal for all.

So - to give you an idea how I'm doing this:
Monday/Tuesday -PHASE 1: I cook steel oats that I've let soak overnight so they cook more quickly in the am. I add either baked apples I make in my toaster oven or strawberry's & chopped pineapple. Who knew this would be the most delicious combo? I add butter, milk and some brown sugar into my sons bowls. Family breakfast served. Oh - I also have an herbal tea. Who cares - I still drink the amount of water I'm supposed to. Can I add my 44 year old skin is looking fabulous!

Snack - I have strawberry's and tangerines with my son and our play- dates at the park. Fun for all.

Lunch - I love cook either quinoa and veggies (not my fav), made the turkey, white bean & kale soup (was quite good) or brown rice stir fry with chicken, and an piece of fruit.

Snack - a pear or an apple

Dinner - I ALWAYS have a pasta - my favorite is the brown rice pasta from Trader Joes. I make my own sauce with a can of San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt & pepper - delicious and simple. Now - do let me say I'm an Olive Oil snob - and I've been living comfortably without it. Go figure. And then I add perhaps some grilled chicken on the side of my pasta. I've been eating up to 3 cups of pasta by the way and am losing a good amount of weight. She says you have to eat more if you need to lose more than 20 pounds. YEAH for that.

LOVE PHASE 1 - Phase 2 - not so much. I hate protein and consider myself and carbovoire.
Breakfast - My husband makes us poaches eggs, chicken sausage and usually a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. (I usually go for the whole grain toast and lost of butter,) But, now I eat the egg whites and give the poached yolk to our dog, have turkey bacon and slices of celery with lime juice and salt. I have to say this is surprisingly good - lime juice and celery. Did I say I hate Phase 2? Not because I'm never full - because I love carbs. But, I'm VERY satisfied.

Snack - I eat turkey jerky and 5oz while at the park with the kiddies. I've turned every mom friend on to the stuff at Trader Joes. Even my 3 year old devours it.

Lunch - I've been making Korean BBQ Beef - and I haven't eaten beef in over 15 years. LITTLE tiny slivers with a BRAGGS, garlic, ginger, onion and YES - a little brown sugar that isn't on the list but it helps carmelize the beef on the grill. I put this over a salad with lime juice and it's simply delicious and satisfying. I also use chicken and turkey, but I need the FLAVOR to swallow protein. I'm hoping I don't become a meat eating mad woman because of this Phase 2. oiy!

Snack - Tuna with cut up veggies, salt & pepper with slices of Red Pepper. Super yummy.

Dinner - I love her Pork Loin & Peppercini recipe - with I could have it with rice - but I eat it with a salad.

SO HAPPY WHEN PHASE 2 is over!

TGIF & Bring on the weekend with Phase 3.
Breakfast -Dang am I a happy woman when Friday comes. THREE poached eggs with the yolk - yeah! Blackberrys - over a cup, a piece of organic spouted wheat bread. She doesn't say you CANNOT have wheat - but if you need it and I DO - use only sprouted. It's a delicious part of my usual diet so YEAH. I spread the bread with half an avocado and one week I did have a cup of coffee with the cream and sugar. But - imagine this. After 2 sips - I just didn't want the coffee. My husband fell on the floor.

Snack - My son & I bring hummus and veggie sticks to our play dates. Fun and yummy stuff for all. He does eat his pita chips - and I shockingly can live without them now.

Lunch: This is my absolute favorite new meal - so simple & so yummy. I have several leaves of lettuce - Romaine or Butter varieties. Spread and entire avocado on all of them with salt & pepper and then add quite allot of organic turkey slices. Roll them up and dig in. They are so yummy - my husband and toddler are begging for them. Really good. I have to admit - a vinegar & salt chip would be the cherry on top, but I have my goals and priorities.

Snack - I am a little confused about his part of the diet outline. It says NO FRUIT - so I don't have any. Not sure exactly what to have so I tend to have some turkey jerky or hummus and veg, or another new fav avocado on a toasted sprouted wheat tortilla by Ezekiel - found in almost any stores, but Trader Joes & Whole Foods. By toasting the tortilla it gets crunchy and breaks into chips without any oil, etc. I feel like I'm having chips and quac. Well - I am, but without the CORN. And, can I also say every person who know me - KNOWS- I LOVE LOVE LOVE CHIPS & SALSA. Delicioso.

Dinner - Since I was always confused about my options for Dinners in Phase 3 I have just simply always toasted one of my sprouted wheat tortillas and smothered it with avocado and hot sauce. Maybe even 3 of them if I feel hungry - well, ok - my husband always seems to eat half of mine. So maybe 1 1/2 if what I eat in the end. I also had a burrito bowl from chipolte without the cheese. LIke I said, I'm not clear on this meal in Phase 3. I wing it....

The other cruel truth is that I haven't done any of the exercise pieces - why? Because I haven't been able to motivate myself since I had my son and I'm fabulous at making excuses. But, having lost inches these past 2 weeks I'm feeling inspired. My bust lost 1.5 inches, my waist 2 inches, my arms, thighs and face are all tighter.

I hate a diet is all I can and I really didn't know how I was going to feel better and get control of my life after being an immaculate clean eater and yogi for 15 years before having my son. This book has changed my life. It stays on my kitchen counter because I often flip to what foods are allowed in each Phase to remind myself of more things I can eat. What i'm eating listed above is seriously changing my body - inside & out. I love it and I love to hear others say they notice it.

I'm going to stick to this until I get to my desire weight - but to be honest, I'm not really missing much. It's ALLOT of food, sometimes I feel like I can't eat what is required. The food is simple, real food. Good food. My head is less foggy and I'm not sure really why - so I may add back coffee & dairy (AKA CHEESE & 1/2 & 1/2) slowly to see what is triggering my groggy feelings before.

In the end - based on the scale today 3rd week and day 4 with 3 days to go I suspect I will lose a total of 12 -15 pounds on this plan.
THANK YOU HAYLIE. You've helped me get back to myself.The Fast Metabolism Diet: Eat More Food and Lose More Weight

Sorry for the typos - felt it was important to share and nap time is over. My son wants some AVOCADO. :)
99 comments|615 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2014
I originally purchased this book because I had gained 13 pounds that would not go away, no matter what I tried. I have a small frame, and it was all focused around my abdomen, so people kept asking me if I was expecting. Ouch. For a little history of what I was like going into this: I am gluten intolerant, and am very careful about what I eat, but I was completely addicted to sugar - getting my next sugar fix was always in the back of my mind. The constant highs and lows were causing such crazy mood swings that I am sure my family was getting whiplash.

I started the program, and completely went off of sugar and caffeine cold turkey. BIG MISTAKE. I was completely moody, headachy, and miserable, so I stopped, took a couple of weeks to wean myself off of the caffeine (but was still eating sugar), and then started again. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!! I highly recommend weaning off of it before you start. You could do that while you read the books and buy your groceries. I am sure other reviews explain the program, but for anyone who doesn't know, this program is 4 weeks long, with each individual week being divided into three phases. Each phase has different food requirements. Phase 1 lasts two days, Phase 2 is also two days, and then Phase 3 lasts for three days. You repeat this cycle 4 times.

I found on Phase 1 (days 1 and 2 -- fruits/veggies/good grains/lean protein/very low fat) - I was hungry all the time. This was easily fixed by the fact that you can eat an unlimited amount of whatever vegetables you want. Problem solved.

On Phase 2 (days 3 and 4-- proteins/veggies/very low fat) I just felt a little strange and lethargic, so I looked on Haylie's website, and low and behold, all I had to do was take a daily magnesium and low dose potassium supplement. I felt like a million bucks after that.

Phase 3 (days 5, 6, and 7--healthy fats/low glycemic index fruits/veggies/proteins/good grains) is hands down my favorite. I did not feel limited at all, and my energy levels were the best on these days, although, I must say, overall my energy levels were tremendously higher than what they had been prior to starting the diet.

I achieved my goal weight before I was done with the 4-week program, so I kept eating from the recommended food lists, but primarily stuck to Phase 3 and with slightly larger portion sizes. I have maintained my weight, quite effortlessly for five months now. My energy levels have skyrocketed, my moods have stabilized, my memory and recall have improved, my mind is clearer and my skin looks much better. My cholesterol also dropped 65 points from my previous year's check-up. I am in the medical field, and was very impressed by the science behind the book. My co-workers have been so impressed by my results, that many of them are starting the program as well. I should also mention that I work 12 hour night shifts, and I have more energy now than I did when I was drinking caffeine to stay awake. I have also been caffeine free for 5 months now.

Since I am in the maintenance phase, I have found that I can have occasional sugar without completely derailing back into the sugar monster, again. I eat it, in a proper proportion, allow myself to enjoy it, and then move on with my day. I am no longer a slave to it!

After seeing the changes in me, my husband, who was a slave to breads and southern fried foods, decided to try this diet, too. In 10 weeks, he has lost 24 pounds, and cannot believe how much better he feels. I never thought I would see the day where he would start to take care of himself in this way, but he really enjoys it. He actually went off of the diet over the Christmas and New Year's holidays and said he couldn't wait to start back up because he finally realized how much better he felt when he was eating the proper foods.

Speaking of foods, the food is DELICIOUS! We actually cook enough food to last an entire month, allow it to cool, and then divide it into portion sized containers and freeze it. No cooking for the rest of the month, unless, of course, we want to! Most of the recipes are simple, one-pot meals, as well, so there is minimal clean up.

Haylie has a blog, user forum, newsletter, and YouTube channel in which you can find the answers to the vast majority of your questions. I posted a question on the blog, and the site administrator answered it for me within 24 hours. There is also an iPhone app that allows you to plan meals, keep track of your water intake, and have food lists with you at all times. If you subscribe to her free newsletter she sends tons of new recipes, and many of them convert unhealthy classics into new, healthy favorites. We made the chicken wings from the Super Bowl foods newsletter, and they were the best wings we've ever had.

I cannot say enough good things about this! In case you are wondering, I don't know Haylie Pomroy, or anyone affiliated with her book, so I am just giving an honest review. It may seem overwhelming to shift your life around in the ways she suggests, but if you do, you could be amazed with the results! (As always, check with your doctor before embarking on any diet or exercise program.)
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2015
I have read many reviews of the FMD and have appreciated the tips and advice from those who have used it, successfully or not so much. Bluebird, your helpful reviews encouraged me and gave many good tips on food preparation, and what to expect. I am a health care professional, 57 and female. Over the last 5 years I have gained 10-15 lbs and though I exercise (mainly biking, walking) and was pretty good to watch the diet, I could not shed it. My husband and I had developed the cheese/crackers/wine habit almost every evening and that was a problem.
My 35 year old son, had been introduced to this plan through a friend who had dropped 30 lbs. He had not seen him in a while and was shocked at the transformation. This friend commented that after the initial difficult few days, it was not burdensome to follow and "even celery tasted sweet now", hehe!
My son had about 25 lbs to lose and he was pretty pumped about trying this plan. I had never heard of it. I got on the web and began to read the reviews on amazon and went to a great site called chewfo. A lady named Penny Hammonds has done a great service in examining this and other popular plans and has the nitty gritty of each on the site. She does not judge the pros or cons....just lays out the details.
Some people have complained about difficulty in easily accessing the material in Haylie Pomroy's book and I agree. The Kindle version is even more difficult for me to navigate, I realize that may be age related :-) as I am more comfortable with hard copy.
I would recommend going to chewfo and printing off the lists of phases, portions and allowable foods for easy access. It is very helpful.
My son and I live in different states and we each decided to do this plan. We have encouraged each other and traded recipes and food ideas. It's been nice to have that support. He has been on for 2 weeks and lost 7.5 lbs and I have been on for 10 days and lost 4.5 lbs. I weighed at one week and am trying to wait until my 2nd week ends before re-weighing.
I feel MARVELOUS! This is not a diet, per say, it's a better way of choosing food and drink. Let me put a concept out there, especially for those who find this, crazy, ridiculous, restrictive, unreal and just darn hard to do!
I am a family nurse practitioner and I am privileged to work with many clients on diet, exercise and implementing a healthier lifestyle. When I am counseling with a diabetic client on changes that will benefit their condition and greatly improve their long term outcome, we HAVE to discuss diet. If I simply wrote an RX and sent them out the door, that would be negligent on my part.
But guess what? I mention: slash wheat, white sugar, soda pop (really all sweetened drinks-like the dreaded sweet tea), limit dairy, refrain from using artificial sweeteners and avoid fast food, fill your plate with veggies and fruit, and many people get a glazed, far away look in their eyes, and either say, no, can't do it or sure, I will work on that. I know then that they have already given up and they may take the meds, and may start using a artificial sweetener (this is ok, right??? NO!), but will not go full throttle into it and really get control of their health. A few people do "get it" and begin to make substantial changes, they are the minority. I always have hope that the majority will contemplate and implement change, though.
I say all of that to say this:
There is no magic pill, there is no silver bullet. We have a generally abominable diet in the US and it shows in our physical and emotional conditions.
If we do not improve our consumption habits, our bodies and minds will not improve. We will sicken, get fatter and more depressed and die too soon.
Enough of that. I personally found the alcohol and sugar difficult to eliminate. I believe that most of us are sugar addicts, either from excess carbs or alcohol intake. It's all sugar to our bodies, though some of us like the buzz from the latter :-)
I have stopped consuming everything on Pomroy's "no list" except for caffeine. I love my coffee and continue to have a nice strong K-cup each morning, though I do wait until I've had a few cups of water and have eaten whatever breakfast offers that day.
So. Those who complain that they aren't getting enough calories on this, say they are long distance runners, etc. just need to increase their portions a bit to compensate. If a person cuts out the "no list" foods, you will lose weight and improve your health, even if you up the portions a bit.
The premise of cutting sugar, wheat, corn, soy, caffeine and alcohol is a sound one. Rotating through the phases is nutritionally sound as well.
Please do not shortchange your health and write this plan off as whacko or whatever. It really works and I appreciate that this woman wrote a book and gave us a plan. I would buy the hard copy version instead of Kindle if I were doing it again. I have not purchased the cookbook.
If anyone would like any particulars on how I've done this, I would be glad to respond. As I said earlier, Bluebird, the reviewer, had great tips and humorous anecdotes and encouraged me. You might look at her postings from earlier this spring.
This is not easy, especially in the beginning, but it is achievable.
PS I do some organic but not all of it and I don't stress about it.
on February 14, 2014
First off, let me start by saying that I normally don't post too many reviews about the products I order. Not because I like or dislike the product (unless I get absolutely shoddy customer service, but that has not been the case with the majority of items I have purchased). I wasn't paid to review this product or try the diet, nor do I know anyone who is affiliated with the company. I'm simply just a chubby woman who was looking for a reasonable, realistic diet to shed some unwanted pounds. I bought the book along with the cookbook (and have subsequently ordered other "Fast Metabolism" cookbooks from other vendors- some good, some not so good).

The book is a quick and easy read and despite knowing quite a bit about nutrition, contained some good information that was useful to me. There are a couple of inconsistencies with portions and food lists, but you do have to implement SOME common sense in its use! The additional cookbook is handy because it gives you a lot of other meal ideas so you dont geel like you are stuck eating the same types of things over and over again. It does take a bit to get in a rhythm of how and what you should eat. I found myself frantically chopping/buying/wasting food until I I figured some things out on my own and now it is much easier.

My biggest suggestions are to eat the same things (or just change up dinner) and both or all three days of the appropriate phase. I am simply not bothered by eating the same exact things on Day 1 and 2, and again on Day 3 and 4 but I change it up a little on Days 5, 6 and 7. I also found it is easier to eat the same dinners throughout the subsequent weeks so I have to cook less. I actually bought an upright freezer because I had so many leftovers and I find it is a complete joy not to have to cook some weeks. I also had 2 crock pots going at one time, while I was on a cooking frenzy and that also helped. Someone posted on these forums 9and believe me i read virtually all of the reviews prior to odering) that the caloric intake is pretty low. I didn't put everything on my tracker but I am pretty sure it is low. Eat another salad or a bunch of steamed veggies if you get hungry. I took my array of multivitamins and supplments so I know I am not lacking in any nuttrional value. if you were a skinny minny and could eat whatever you wanted you probably wouldnt be interested in this book anyway.

I didn't struggle too much with this diet, mostly because I spent nearly a year on the quasi Paleo diet; gave up bread, refined sugars and paid a lot of attention to what I was buying/eating. For me the Paleo diet has some great concepts but not all of them I want to live with on a sustained basis. For the most part I wasn't fantasizing about what I couldn't eat and for the most part didn't feel like I was going hungry. Phase 1 and 3 are great, Phase 2 sucks a little and I did get sugar and bread cravings but I also found my weight loss was the greatest during this phase. Plus it is only 2 days so you can gut it out!

Let me re-iterate that I am a total foodie. I love food, I love to eat, I love my adult beverages. I love cheese, aged meats, butter, a good crispy baguette and the occasional fried or junk food. I am also 42 years old and look at a french fry and it goes straight to my hips! I look forward to indulging on a pizza and some wine at the end of my fourth week on this diet! I also know that I am going to start back up on again or at least adopt a variant of it, because it has actually worked for me. My goal is to lose 30 lbs just so you get an idea of where I stand with expectations.

Now for the results. I am nearing the end of week 3 of this diet but actually couldn't wait to post about it because I am actually impressed. It is actually week 5 but on the Saturday of the second week I took a staycation, went out to see a live MMA fight and knew way before I started the diet that I was going to go off of it for those 2 days. At the end of that second week I had lost 8 pounds. Now when I say I went "off" the diet, let me explain: that Saturday I had a 3 course meal of thai food, 2 glasses of wine, 3x 24oz. stadium kegs beers and a plate of shared french fries from the venue of the fight. I continued on through the evening by indugling in a few more beers and then switched to some vodka/lemon drinks washed down with fried potato skins, nachos and topped off with a wobbly street vendor hot dog! Not exactly moderation you might say! I ate regular toast and bacon the next day with my IHop breakfast and probably crammed a couple of other food items that are not diet efficient that following Sunday. Obviously my stomach wasn't very happy with me and I gained back 5 pounds. So the way I look at it, I was only down 3 pounds in 2 weeks. I started over and I have been very,very good (thankfully the next MMA fight is at the end of my fourth week, so pizza and wine, here I come!) I have lost 9 more pounds, for a total of 12 lost in 5 weeks (with the cheat).

In my opinion and many other health practitioners, an average of 2.5 lbs./week weight loss is healthy. To expect to lose 20 lbs. in a month is pretty extreme and besides the diet says you can "lose up to 20 lbs." in a month. You have to be realistic! I am very happy so far. My clothes are fitting better and most days I have decent energy. We also have to take into considerarion that I didn't do a couple of things that are required. I NEVER did any of the workouts, which I really should and Im sure it would help more, but I don't need to explain the reasons why I didn't to anyone. I am also terrible about my water intake. While I forced myself to drink more than I usually do, I certainly didn't meet my required daily intake, which would certainly help with some slight hunger issues and flushing stuff out. The other thing I struggled with was eating within 1/2 hour of waking up. I simply can't do it. I get up at 04:30 every morning and Im just not hungry until around 08:00. So a hint here is to eat your snack for breakfast and then eat your breakfast for your snack - not so much food that early. What I ended up doing was ordering all 3 phase shake mixes from the Haylie Pomory web site. They certainly aren't cheap but they also are not evil tasting and sorted out my eating 1/2 hour from waking up requirement. I also ordered some of the turkey jerkey in bulk from her web site, since it is very expensive here in Hawaii and I spent a lot of time making a few batches in my own dehydrator. This has worked out well for me. I love the breakfast I get to eat on Phase 3 (egg, tomato and avocado on sprouted bread) so I probably could do without the Phase 3 shake, havent been drinking it much. Next time I will just buy Phase 1 and 2.

Like any healthy way of eating there is some effort required on your behalf as well as some diligence. Like I also said, it takes a bit to work out your eating habits and how you are going to arrange to eat and when (I get called into multiple meetings and don't always get to eat on schedule either). Don't expect miracles either because nothing is going to give you that. If you cheat on your eating, the only person you are cheating is yourself. Speaking of cheating, I sure am looking forward to that pizza and wine next week (and I am sure my stomach will pay as well) but I also plan to start back upon the diet for another go until I get down to my desired weight and then I will try and be reasonable about what I eat. It took my 9 months to lose the 40 lbs. last time with just calorie counting and I was a slave to my food. Comparatively, I am making great progres with this diet and I am extremely satisfied. it is going to be different for everyone - just remember, if you lose about 2 pounds a week you are doing really good actually. Be realistic!

I hope this helps with anyone considering the diet - I am happy with it and the results. I even bought the book and cookbook for my Mom who needs to lose a few pounds. I am looking forward to her starting it with the opefully the same results that I have gotten!
on September 2, 2013
Sorry this review is so long but I'm excited and want to share!!!

My husband and I just completed four weeks of the program. While it does require effort it is not insurmountable and it definitely gets easier as you go along and learn what you can/can't eat on a given day without having to look up every single food. If you have access, you'll find Trader Joe's is a great ally - many of the required foods can be found there at very reasonable prices.

We started off with the worst eating habits imaginable. We used to work/run around all day without eating until 4 pm or later, by which time we'd be starving and the easiest thing to do was to gorge ourselves on drive through/junk food/restaurant meals. Sometimes my "dinner" (and only meal of the day) would consist of a pint of chocolate Haagen Dazs ice cream. I would kid myself that the total daily calories were in line, so it was ok in the big scheme of things. After reading this book and the way Haylie explains metabolism, I'll never skip breakfast again!

Along with our horrific eating habits, I was drinking about a gallon of coffee (with cream and sugar, natch) and my husband was drinking 1-2 2 liters of Coke daily. I think the caffeine and sugar is how we managed to get through the day, but what our bodies really needed was FOOD.

This plan has completely changed our habits for the better. I never used to get hungry in the mornings or want breakfast other than coffee, but now my stomach is "reset" and begins growling at meal and snack times - you can almost set your clock by it. My skin has cleared up tremendously, and we noticed that neither one of us has had to take a Tums all month, which we used to go through like candy. We both have more energy and are sleeping better (my husband is snoring much less) and just feel healthier overall. That alone has made it worth it.

My husband's weight loss goal at the beginning of the program was 100 pounds and mine was 60. In the first four weeks, he lost 27 pounds and I lost 14.5. That's roughly 25% of the way toward our respective goals in the first month alone (more for him)! I know the loss will likely not maintain at this pace (the first week was huge for both of us and I'm sure a lot of that was water/bloat) but seeing results is a great motivation to stick with the plan. We're going to continue with it until we reach our goals.

Even better than the pounds are the inches. Haylie suggests taking your measurements and I've been waiting anxiously to see the results, which I got this morning. In the first 4 weeks I have lost 11 inches - no that's not a typo!! And everything seems to be smoothing out - a lot less lumpy bumpy cellulite. My measurements break down as follows:

Arm - lost 3/4 inch
Bust - lost 1-1/4 inches
Waist - lost 4-1/8 inches !!!! no, I'm not kidding!! No more constant "gas belly"
Hips - lost 2-1/2 inches
Thigh - lost 1-3/4 inches

I don't know my husband's loss in inches, but I can tell that the circumference of his stomach has gone down considerably - I can now easily wrap my arms all the way around him, and his shirts are extremely baggy. We already had to buy him new pants two sizes smaller than what he was wearing because the old ones kept falling down. My clothes are getting loose but I'm trying to get by and hold out buying new until I lose a few more pounds. People have complimented both of us that we look thinner and can tell we're losing weight.

The plan itself - pros & cons. Giving up coffee was hard for me the first week (mostly due to bad headaches) but now I don't miss it at all, and I NEVER thought I would say that. I used to live for coffee! My husband said he had no problem giving up the soda. You do drink a LOT of water on this plan and that was difficult at first but now I find myself craving it. The worst part of the increased water intake was having to wake up to pee 3x a night but after a couple of weeks your body gets used to it. Now I never have to get up at night for that.

We stuck as close to the plan as we could. Any meals I cooked/prepared were done to the letter, but because of work and other obligations we did have to eat out (restaurant or at friend's houses) 5 times over the four weeks. On those occasions we tried to stick with phase-appropriate foods as much as possible but didn't stress over it too much if we couldn't get it perfect (as Haylie says, stress makes you gain weight). Neither of us intentionally cheated until the last week, where at one of the restaurant meals he had a beer and I had a glass of wine. And we both got "buzzed" from one drink!! I guess we're on our way to being lightweights in more than one sense of the word. Our deviations don't seem to have had an adverse affect - though we perhaps could have lost a bit more sticking to the plan, we didn't gain any weight, and I think it's important to enjoy life and not feel as if you're missing out all the time or else you won't be able to stick with it long term.

We also completely ignored the suggested portion sizes and ate until we felt full, but you quickly see that the amount you need/want to eat goes down naturally. For example, we do the oat smoothies for breakfast on Phase 1. I started off making one for me and two for my husband. After the first week he said he only needed one smoothie, that it was filling him up fine. One of the times we ate at a restaurant I ordered a meal that in the past I would have finished in one sitting. I ate until I was full and ended up taking 2/3 of it home for leftovers. If you eat your meals and snacks as outlined there is no reason to ever feel hungry or deprived, and cravings disappear quickly. I can honestly say other than coffee in the first week, I have not had a single craving - and I used to have a sweet tooth to end all sweet teeth!

Yes the plan takes some organization and planning and you will need to prepare yourself to cook and bring your meals, but if you are willing to commit and trust the plan it does pay off. I think the results are well worth the effort, and am so happy I found this book. I forgot to say that all of this was done through food alone - we did not even do the minimal exercise recommended by the book. Going forward, I'm ready to add the exercise and hope to keep the good results coming.

DIET - Did I Eat Today? YES!!
22 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2016
My wife's doctor recommended this book to my wife when she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and needed to lose some weight. I am an avid runner, but I have gotten sloppy with my diet and I had gained 20 pounds or so over a year. (You can't outrun your fork!) I read this with my wife and thought, "I'll give it a try. I need to lose some weight, too." So, I'll share my experience with this diet.

This diet is certainly NOT for everyone, despite the author's claims. It did work for me. My wife didn't even try it because she could tell right away that it wouldn't work for her because most of the foods sounded repulsive to her. She's a picky eater. So, if you're a picky eater, you may not be able to do this diet.

And just a quick observation. This diet is not a magic bullet as the author claims. Seriously. Whether you follow her plan or not, if you eliminate wheat, corn, soy, and refined sugar from your diet, you're almost guaranteed to lose some weight. Those are among the most calorie dense and nutrient deficient foods on earth.

One of the key components of any diet is getting people to believe in the diet enough to stick with it. Haylie does a good job of generating a positive attitude and maybe even excitement over the diet. That's one reason why I'm giving a positive review. I was excited to begin the diet. However, that excitement ended on the first day of phase 2. Phase 2 is a high protein, extremely low carb and extremely low fat phase. It's horrible. If time seems to be flying for you and you want to slow it down, enter Phase 2 of this diet. Those two days seem like two months. There's just nothing good about Phase 2.

So, what did I like about the diet?
1. It worked. I lost about 14 lbs. Granted, most of that was in the first week. But still, it dropped and stayed gone.
2. Whether it repaired my metabolism or not, I don't know. But it did repair my relationship with food.
3. It called my attention to how horrible my diet had been.
4. Eating real, fresh, whole foods is really good.

What did I NOT like about the diet?
1. I could not run. If you want to continue an exercise program, this diet is not for you. You simply won't have the energy to exercise. I did her phase specific exercises. However, they were not enough, but I didn't have enough energy to do any more.
2. No caffeine. Why? I will return to coffee. Life is just happier with coffee. I HATED NO COFFEE. While I broke the caffeine addiction, I still just didn't enjoy the day as much when it didn't start with coffee.
3. It's a ton of trouble. It's seriously time and life consuming. You're constantly either preparing food or thinking about when/what to eat. It's just too much trouble. If you travel for business, I have no idea how you can sustain this diet.
4. As mentioned, phase 2 is awful. If I've gotta go low carb, at least let me have some fat.

I'll keep some habits that I picked up during this diet. I'll keep eating sprouted grain bread. I'll continue to avoid milk and cheese. I didn't miss those nearly as much as I thought I would. I'll continue to use fruits and nuts as snacks. I'll continue to pick nitrate free deli meats.

But I look forward to running every day and drinking coffee. If I do another cycle of it, I'll probably keep coffee.
on February 6, 2014
As a post-menopausal woman, I have struggled to get excess weight off for years. I did Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, The Fast Diet (which worked, frankly, but i just got tired of it), etc etc etc. Each time, I would lose a few, then gain them back. And let's be honest: the Nutrisystem and JC packaged foods are just awful! Everything seems to come in this gluey brown gravy that my dog would turn his nose up at. Oh, and trying it on my own . . . under-eating and over-exercising . . . just made things worse, because I was probably slowing my metabolism, and the weight would not budge. I would not have bothered with this plan, but two close friends were following it and they had good success, one losing 15 lbs and the other 23 lbs in 28 days. Both are, like me, past menopause. I decided this would be my last attempt before just giving in to a little extra padding and learning to live with it. I have been on it for just under two weeks and the last time I weighed myself (two days ago), I was down 4 lbs. Here is the thing: you don't get hungry. At least, I don't. I have to remind myself to eat my two snacks and there are days when I don't want them, but I get them in.The water was tough at first, but now I get all my ounces in without a problem.The fresh foods are all palatable for me, because I am a big fruit and vegetable eater. I like all the phases, actually, but of course, Phase 3 is the most enjoyable because you can eat from all of her approved food lists.

Here is one issue: this book is laid out in a most haphazard way. You find yourself jumping back and forth, and if you were to put book marks everywhere, you would have a mess to deal with. I have mine full of small, different-colored Post-It notes telling me what is where. It's difficult to find things that should be easy, and they should be laid out in a far less random way. I am using her website to get some of the confusion cleared up, and I recommend that.This is the reason the book gets four, and not five, stars from me. I assume that as I get further into this, all of it will be second nature to me, but for now, I am still having to look things up.

Here is another thing: too much tuna! I went to a website that calculates for you by your weight how much, or, rather, how little tuna is safe to eat, taking mercury levels into account. I found that at my current weight, I should not be eating more than 4.7 oz. of tuna per week.This plan has you eating 5 oz. of tuna at one sitting, and it has you doing it more than once a week. I am subbing in other proteins on half of the tuna recipe days. Also, it is not all that easy finding some of the items she wants you to buy. I find things at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and here on Amazon, but it would be so much easier if my local supermarket carried a better variety of healthier foods, OR if Haylie took this into account and gave us some suggestions for decent, if not PERFECT, substitutions.

She has you exercise, and it is far easier than what I was doing before. In Phase 1, she recommends at least one cardio workout (two if you like, but I do one); Phase 2, you do strength training, and Phase 3, Yoga or another stretching workout, or a massage. I am still working out three days a week, just not trying to do all of it together for more than an hour. This is much easier. And the weight is falling off.

One thing I have not seen addressed very much in these reviews is something that is happening to me, and it is a great benefit of the plan. I am much calmer, much more serene since being on this "diet." We have a new baby in the house, my grandchild, and I am not feeling stress at all in helping care for him. When he is fussing and crying a lot, I am fine, which helps calm him down. I know that my blood pressure has lowered, too. I think this shows me that I was allowing too many processed and junky foods and sugar into my body, and now, less than two weeks away from them, I am physically and psychologically feeling much better.

All in all, this is going very well. I miiss my evening wine and my desserts, but I am learning that at my age, nightly desserts are probably not a great idea anyway. I am learning that I can eat this way for the long term, and, when my twenty-eight days are up, I cannot just go back to what I was doing before. I think I can sustain this, with a few glasses of wine and perhaps one or two desserts on weekends, but no way can I consume them at the rate that I used to.

This will work for some of us, not for others. Read the book and decide for yourself. I am very glad I tried this one last solution.

I am back. Five weeks in, and I have lost 10 lbs. I have not been at this weight (I made it, finally, into my 120s again, and plan to stay there) for years. One thing: once you start eating like this, you find yourself thinking twice about putting junk into your body. I decided to treat myself to some dark chocolate, and that was fine. It tasted great and did no damage. But then I got cocky and ate a few bites of a friend's gooey birthday cake and it made me nauseous. I was prepared to give up certain things, and I did so willingly. Just be prepared to take this plan seriously if you want it to work. It will work.
11 comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
So I read a bunch of one star reviews here and a lot of people complaining how it doesn't work for them. Well, I'm almost done with week 3 and lost almost 8 lbs so far, it may not be the promised 20 lbs but that just because certain things aren't clear. Each week I tried to do it better and each week I lost a different amount of pounds. These are very important keys for success on this diet:

1. Do drink ALL the water the book recommends, even if it's 100 oz a day. If you won't drink it, you won't lose the weight.

2. Eat leafy green vegetables every time you are supposed to and more; even for breakfast! If you don't eat them your body won't build the muscle on day 3 and 4 and it won't digest your fat on day 5, 6, and 7.

3. Do not allow yourself to starve, if you do starve then your metabolism slows down instead of moving faster! For example, I can barely stand eating meat and veggies 5 times a day (during day 3 and 4), so during my second week I pretty much starved instead of eating those, lost 2 lbs during those 2 days and gain 3 lbs during the next 3 days. During week 1 and week 3 I worked on eating every 3-4 hours and made sure I ate all my veggies and all my meat and behold...lost 4 lbs in less than a week just during this week 3.

4. No cheating is allowed, if you cheat - you're done. Some people here actually wrote how terrible this diet is and how upset they are and they did everything to the "T" but just didn't drink all the water and just had some alcohol on the weekends...seriously?

Anyways, if you want this to work just follow it exactly to the "T" and it will work! :) Good luck!
0Comment|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse