4.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles and Recipes; Seems to be Working
I like this and the "Fast Diet" book a lot. I feel good after following it for three weeks and can't wait to get to a scale to weigh myself. My pants are looser.
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes too complicated for Fast Day.
I love the fast diet! I have been following it for 6 weeks now. I couldn't wait for this book to come out.
Published 15 months ago by J. Aldrich

3.0 out of 5 stars Recipes too complicated for Fast Day., July 19, 2013
This review is from: The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy (Hardcover)
I love Gourmet food, and enjoy cooking, however I find on my Fast days I like simple easy recipes that are in one or two portions so I can save one for my next fast day. This book has recipes for up to 6 people, I find it difficult to then to measure out my portion. Some of the ingredients are difficult to locate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, March 20, 2014
First the good: the recipe instructions are clear, and relatively easy to follow; the photographs, although not present for every recipe, are abundant and well done.

Now the bad: too many of the recipes are what I would call "exotic" (at least for American tastes), with hard to find ingredients. Things like: tamagoyaki, shiitake noodle dashi, calabaza con acelgas, tomato dahl, sashimi, bagna cauda, cottage fish, etc. Ingredients like pomegranate molasses, harissa paste, celery root, gravlax, mirin, and cavolo. Also, very, very heavily weighted towards vegetarian dishes. Look, I wasn't expecting meatloaf and fried chicken, but I was hoping for a better mix than what I got.

I'm also really disappointed that the only nutrition information provided is the calorie count. No indication of protein, fats, carbs, sugar, sodium, cholesterol, etc., that would help one to create a balanced fast diet day, especially for those of us who really like to keep track of one or more of those things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Principles and Recipes; Seems to be Working, July 30, 2013
Both books, though, are rather confusing in their layout (this one IS better than the diet book). It's so cumbersome to sift through all the testimonials, promotion, and selling of the diet to get to the nuts and bolts that I almost gave up. There are facts and tips embedded on those segments. I don't need twenty different stories about the fact that the diet works. The diet sells itself; just stick to the facts, please. I rate it four stars for its' usable content.The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but, October 5, 2013
I didn't feel the recipes were things I would cook. The breakfast items were too many calories when trying to split 500 calories for breakfast and dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars "CALORIE-CONTROLLED RECIPES, HELPFUL KITCHEN TIPS, ADVICE ON HEALTH!", July 7, 2013
This informative, inspiring cookbook chronicles how to incorporate this diet into your daily routine, how to prevent the risk of heart disease and other diseases, showing us how easy it is to cut-down on caloric intake. There are 150 simple, easy-to-prepare recipes on a friendly budget, designed for our busy lives. This cookbook is a follow-up of the Fast-Diet, offering several helpful tips on recipes and a more healthy life-style. I have followed the Fast-Diet, and found it very useful, and easy to follow. The recipes include breakfast, lunch, and dinners. There are salads, soup, fish and several recipes to choose from. All recipes are low-calorie, and nutritious. Information is provided on the impact of high-caloric intake in relation to disease as the author highlights the crucial importance of a low-calorie diet on the road to better health in maintaining discipline, and in preventive medicine. As we try new recipes, I will leave updates. We are going to select different salads and soups for starters as many of these recipes are inviting. Interesting, educational,and extremely useful. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes not easy to decipher or prepare, January 7, 2014
Grandma Wen (Klamath Falls, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed when I looked at these recipes. They clearly are not written for the average American cook / dieter - ingredients like pecorino cheese , dashi soup stock, pomegranate molasses, harissa paste (what the heck is that?) - even quail eggs. These are not ingredients that I will find in my small rural town. Too many exotic ingredients, or things like herring, squid, sardines, mackerel, wild mushrooms. Also, I find it difficult to interpret recipes that do not use our commonly used measurements - I don't want to try to figure out 7 ounces/200 grams sun-dried tomatoes... tell me this in cups and tablespoons, please. I don't have a food scale although I guess I'll have to buy one. The author emphasizes that the recipes are "carefully crafted" and designed so that dieting doesn't have to be boring - that the fast diet is a diet for "foodies". This is definitely reflected in exotic and gourmet recipes that will not appeal to the simple, down-home, comfort-food tastes of my husband. I am not excited about this cookbook and doubt I will use it. Back to my own simple salads, soups, and sugar free jello....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great weight loss program, July 20, 2013
So far, I've lost ten pounda in three weeks. Most recepies leave you feeling full. The non-consecutive fast days are easy to follow because you know tomorrow (non-fast day is coming).

1.0 out of 5 stars You don't need it., July 19, 2013
You can figure out the 500 calories for the day by yourself. The recipes are simple but odd. And very very bland. I don't think 500 calories has to be bland.

3.0 out of 5 stars unavailable ingredients, July 23, 2013
We live in a small town in Southern Illinois, and our major shopping is at a Super Walmart or small Kroger. Some of the ingredients are not sold in these store, but may be readily available in a metropolitan area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost 40 pounds in six weeks!, September 25, 2013
Joel "lost-in-dixie" (Waltham, MA, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic. First I used it to bring my glucose, cholesterol and weight under control.
Then I gave a copy to my mother and sister, both of whom lost 20 and 40 pounds, respectively, in six weeks
time. Their doctors are over the moon. If you follow it faithfully, it works.

$25.99 $18.92