Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on March 20, 2014
First the good: the recipe instructions are clear, and relatively easy to follow; the photographs, although not present for every recipe, are abundant and well done.

Now the bad: too many of the recipes are what I would call "exotic" (at least for American tastes), with hard to find ingredients. Things like: tamagoyaki, shiitake noodle dashi, calabaza con acelgas, tomato dahl, sashimi, bagna cauda, cottage fish, etc. Ingredients like pomegranate molasses, harissa paste, celery root, gravlax, mirin, and cavolo. Also, very, very heavily weighted towards vegetarian dishes. Look, I wasn't expecting meatloaf and fried chicken, but I was hoping for a better mix than what I got.

I'm also really disappointed that the only nutrition information provided is the calorie count. No indication of protein, fats, carbs, sugar, sodium, cholesterol, etc., that would help one to create a balanced fast diet day, especially for those of us who really like to keep track of one or more of those things.
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
I love the fast diet! I have been following it for 6 weeks now. I couldn't wait for this book to come out.
I love Gourmet food, and enjoy cooking, however I find on my Fast days I like simple easy recipes that are in one or two portions so I can save one for my next fast day. This book has recipes for up to 6 people, I find it difficult to then to measure out my portion. Some of the ingredients are difficult to locate.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
I like this and the "Fast Diet" book a lot. I feel good after following it for three weeks and can't wait to get to a scale to weigh myself. My pants are looser.
Both books, though, are rather confusing in their layout (this one IS better than the diet book). It's so cumbersome to sift through all the testimonials, promotion, and selling of the diet to get to the nuts and bolts that I almost gave up. There are facts and tips embedded on those segments. I don't need twenty different stories about the fact that the diet works. The diet sells itself; just stick to the facts, please. I rate it four stars for its' usable content.The FastDiet Cookbook: 150 Delicious, Calorie-Controlled Meals to Make Your Fasting Days Easy
on January 7, 2014
I was disappointed when I looked at these recipes. They clearly are not written for the average American cook / dieter - ingredients like pecorino cheese , dashi soup stock, pomegranate molasses, harissa paste (what the heck is that?) - even quail eggs. These are not ingredients that I will find in my small rural town. Too many exotic ingredients, or things like herring, squid, sardines, mackerel, wild mushrooms. Also, I find it difficult to interpret recipes that do not use our commonly used measurements - I don't want to try to figure out 7 ounces/200 grams sun-dried tomatoes... tell me this in cups and tablespoons, please. I don't have a food scale although I guess I'll have to buy one. The author emphasizes that the recipes are "carefully crafted" and designed so that dieting doesn't have to be boring - that the fast diet is a diet for "foodies". This is definitely reflected in exotic and gourmet recipes that will not appeal to the simple, down-home, comfort-food tastes of my husband. I am not excited about this cookbook and doubt I will use it. Back to my own simple salads, soups, and sugar free jello....
44 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
I didn't feel the recipes were things I would cook. The breakfast items were too many calories when trying to split 500 calories for breakfast and dinner.
on January 25, 2015
Many reviewers forget that they are reviewing the book, not the diet.

I agree with other reviewers that some ingredients are too exotic, too expensive, and too hard to get. I agree that breakfast recipes need to be less complicated. But overall the recipes taste good and make Fast days a pleasure.

My main criticism is the number of errors. To use this book you will need your wits about you or the recipes won't work or won't achieve what you want. Typoes like 'chile' are obvious, but far less obvious is the '15 strawberries' on page 20 that should say '15 OUNCES of strawberry', and the missed preparation instructions (mushrooms won't cook in "one minute or so" unless they are sliced). I suggest calculating the calories from the ingredient list, putting your thinking cap on, and grabbing a pen to make notes and amendments in the recipes.

On the positive side, the cookbook lists recipes by total calories, which helps you get to the right total more easily for your Fast day.

As far as the 5:2 IFD goes, one day of fasting for me broke the cycle of addiction to sweet starchy foods. No hunger pangs, no blood sugar crashes, no cravings. This diet seems easy to do, and easy to make a lifelong choice. Maintaining a healthy weight is a major point, but so are all the other health benefits.
on November 14, 2015
I was so disappointed in this book. I really liked the simple recipes listed in the back of the original Fast Diet book. The recipes in this cookbook are very much geared towards the British in terms of taste and ingredients. And they aren't particularly quick and easy.

The great thing about the Fast Diet is that I don't focus on food two days a week. I just want something super simple and low cal. I was hoping for more recipes like the easy ones in the diet book.
on April 3, 2014
Just a few weeks into this diet and I can attest that it does work and is much less complicated than any other diets I have tried. My wife is a very good cook and the several recipes she has made from this cookbook we both found excellent, low calorie and filling. These recipes would make good meals on any day not just fasting days. My wife does say that it takes someone who knows their way around the kitchen to prepare these dishes so it is not geared to someone like me without experience in the kitchen. Four stars because if you are a dieter and the cook preparing the meal it is challenging to be around all this food and not eat too much. I first borrowed this book from the library to see if we liked it and we decided it would be a worthy purchase. On the diet, I am unable say as yet whether or not it is a passing fancy for me but it was recommended by friends that have had great success losing lbs. and inches.
on September 25, 2013
This book is fantastic. First I used it to bring my glucose, cholesterol and weight under control.
Then I gave a copy to my mother and sister, both of whom lost 20 and 40 pounds, respectively, in six weeks
time. Their doctors are over the moon. If you follow it faithfully, it works.
on January 2, 2014
I live in the wine country in Northern California so it goes without saying that I consider myself a foodie. I eat homemade meals from scratch with organic foods grown locally probably 90% of the time. Most people I know don't know the unusual ingredients I find to feed my GF and dairy free family. I say all this to emphasis my response to this book is that much of it is outside my comfort zone. I could find many of the ingredients in my local stores, but the time I would have to take to wrap myself around some of the unusual recipes it is more than I can commit to. BUT.. I think the section of the book with the dressings and rubs is great. I could use a number of those and incorporate into my dishes I can prepare with ease. I also like many of the soups. When I can, I'll give one of the dishes that is totally foreign to me a try. When that will be is anyone's guess. Hopefully sooner than later