The Fat Smash Diet: The Last Diet You'll Ever Need
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.02 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 23, 2006
Format: Paperback
I just finished Phase 1 and I am in love with this program! I went on this plan not just to lose some extra baggage, but also to become much healthier. I am a true believer in the mind, body, soul connection and that everything has to be inline in order to utilize your optimum self. I do have to mention that living off only fruits, veggies, tofu, and legumes is not hard for me, since I was a vegetarian for a few years back in college. The hardest part for me was not being able to eat any cheese, wine or sushi; I did crave blue cheese olives and sushi from time to time. But, it was well worth it, because not only have I lost a total of 9lbs in 9 days, my skin looks more radiant, my energy levels are way higher, I am sleeping better, and not to mention my clothes are getting much bigger on me. I don't view this as a diet at all. I also want to mention that I did drink coffee everyday with a little splenda and Horizon creamer and I did not get in 2 1/2 hours of working out the first week. I am going to move into Phase II today, which allows me to eat small portions of meat, fish, and cheeses again. I honestly could go on not eating meat, so I may stick to Phase I for awhile with occasional helpings of chicken and fish.

A few tips for people to help with this plan:

1. Middle Eastern food is a life saver. I ate a lot of Hummus with carrots and celery, Tabouli, Lentil Salad, Garbanzo Bean Salad, and Lentil Soup. I am spoiled with literally 7 Middle Eastern restaurants within a 5 mile radius of my house and two gourmet markets that carry several brands of this type of cuisine and also make their own versions fresh at the store. Important, read the labels. I noticed some brands of Hummus add a lot of extra junk into their recipes, steer clear of these.

2. If you have any Sushi restaurants/Japanese grocery stores by you, good picks are Miso Soup (I get the instant packs which are also sold at World Market) and Seaweed Salad.

3. If you have Trader Joe's and Whole Foods nearby, these are great places to find all sorts of frozen and fresh veggie dishes.

4. Sticking to eating 4-5 meals will make this plan easier than you can imagine. I was never hungry. I have a crazy work schedule and my job entails of meetings scattered at different locations in my area so I always bring a snack with me so I stick to the eating every 3 hours or so.

5. I grilled an assortment of veggies every couple days. My favorite is portabella mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, yellow zucchini, red, orange, and yellow peppers. I tossed these veggies with either fat free Italian dressing or balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, sea salt and ground pepper.

6. For extra protein,in a blender, mix 1 scoop of Whey powder, fresh or frozen fruit, skim milk, and ice. This makes a very tasty shake. I prefer vanilla whey that doesn't have any added sugar.

6. Drink lots of water

7. Get creative with your dishes and utilize fresh herbs and spices.

I hope this review helps a bit and will edit my review as I continue on with this plan.
on September 5, 2006
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Let me give you my stats. I am beginning this diet at 5'5, 250 pounds and I'm a 25 year old, male. I have been going to the gym and weight lifting for 1 year and have already lost 100 pounds prior to this. I got stuck and needed a change. I am going to update this review as I go along this diet. So keep on checking as time goes on...

I rated this book 4 stars because I believe that the jist of this diet is quite healthy and effective. However, the book is poorly written. I am a graduate student so it only took me 30min to read the book. The theory behind his diet is simple. He doesn't go into a whole lot of depth explaining it. This can be both positive and negative. It's simple to understand but if you are like me, you may want to more know of the "why?" behind it.

Also, the lists are a little confusing. If you stick with what "you are not supposed to eat" you will be fine. Even that list can be a little confusing because it's not all encompassing. You will notice the phase two list has foods that you are now allowed to eat that you weren't allowed to before. But those aren't listed on what you can't eat during phase one (corn for example). With that said, it's my educated guess that you don't have to follow the plan religiously. What i mean is, as long as you eat on a schedule (outlined in the book), do the excersize (also well outlined in the book)and do not eat the "bad" foods (or types of foods) listed during each phase you will lose weight.

As for the diet itself. The detox is simply 9 (I'm doing 10) days of the diet. It's simply meant to wean you off cafine and refined carbs/sugars and cleanse your system. It is hard to do and takes some commitment. You will be lethargic and you will crave bread, meat and sugar. This is all part of detoxing your system. I will write more about this as I am completing it.

In phase 2 you add some lean meat, seafood, eggs, cereal and drink options. There are portions listed and you should stick to them as close as possible. The excersize is very important. He is asking at this point, that you do about 35 min of cardio 5 days a week. This shouldn't be that hard. You can go to the gym, take a walk, walk the dog, walk around the mall, ride a bike, go to the zoo etc. As long as you are getting 35 min in.

In phase 3 you add some more foods including wheat bread/pasta and small desserts. The excersize is now up to 45 min of cardio 5 times a day.

In phase 4, he lists some recommended portions of fast foods, pizza, ham etc. The goal is to get 1hr of cardio 5 days a week and lift 2 days a week. In my opinion if you did 45 min of weights and 20 min of cardio 2 days a week then the hour 3 days a week you'd be fine. He's not suggesting you power lift. Just tone up because you are going to be losing a lot of weight.

Another important element to this diet is to surround yourself with supportive people. He says this in the beginning of the book. You are working on changing life-long eating habits and it is not going to be easy. But having folks who support you is very important.

My Journey...

So far I've been on the detox phase for 6 days. The first few days were really hard. I felt like I was starving and was very tired. Now it's getting better. I'm hungry 30-40% of the time. For most of my life I have been a meat and potatoes sort of guy. So tofu and vegis etc. didn't sound great. But I'm actually doing well with it. I actually ate tofu and liked it. Not to mention all the good fruits. I weighed myself and I've lost 9 pounds in 6 days. This is kind of fast but not for a detox period. My body is getting rid of a lot of junk. Technically, I don't think you are supposed to be eating vegi burgers but i did have one and it had a trace amount of seeds (which you aren't supposed to have). I also drank a smoothy made with soy milk one day. Compared to waht I was eating, this isn't so bad. I will post my weight at the end of this phase and keep updating.

Edit 1. I ended up doing the 9 days of detox as the book recommends. I weighed in at 240.4, That's almost 10 pounds lost! I will say that I felt quite lethargic during this time and my muscles felt sore. So far I am 2 days into phase 2. My muscles are feeling better overal but have started cramping occassionally. However, my energy level is much higher and I feel good about the diet. I look forward to weighing in at the end of this phase. I will keep you up to date...three weeks from now will be the end of phase 2 and i will be into phase 3.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2006
Format: Paperback
First my profile. 39 years old, 5'9", starting weight of 192 pounds. About 30 pounds over my weight of 15 years ago. I was drinking 2-4 cups of coffee per day, at least 3 Mochas per week, and several glasses of beer or wine each night at dinner. I also developed high blood pressure in the last 18 months. All this and I am very athletic - running half marathons in addition to being a pretty serious recreational cyclist.

So I came to the realization I had to make a change. The Fat Smash book sounded like a great plan AND IT IS.

I just finished phase I and it was not that bad minus the headaches from I guess alchohol and caffiene withdrawal. After 9 days I lost 9 pounds. I was urinating a lot, which means a lot of that was water weight, but I don't care. I feel a TON better both physically and mentally.

I did not miss meat that much and after a couple of days did not miss the coffee or booze.

So I started Phase II yesterday (It lasts 3 weeks) and I'll stop back and update my progress after each phase.

I do still see a bag of potatoe chips and I'm craving them, but I'm sticking to this thing as best I can. One thing I really like about the philosophy of the book is he says you will most likely have days where you get off track. He just says go back to the phase one plan for a few days until you lose any weight you gained back when off track, and then start back into the phase you were on. Very realistic. Don't beat yourself up and screw it all up, just get back on the horse and keep riding.

Regarding the book. As many other reviewers stated, it isn't the greatest written book. None of the WHY am I doing this is covered and the suggested eating plans can be confusing. Maybe that is the idea. He doesn't give you an exact roadmap, but a roadmap that gets you 90% of the way there and you figure out the rest because you are smart and dedicated to the diet.

Example: No nuts are allowed in phase I, it is clearly written. But then in Phase II they are gone from the "Don't" list, but he doesn't add them to the "OK" list. So I take it that they are OK now and I had a handful for a pre-dinner snack last night.

I am rarely hungry as eating every three hours is actually pretty fun. Instead of an hour lunch at work, I take two 30 minute breaks, one arond 11:00, another around 2:30.

- Morning meals mainly are yogurt with frozen fruit, or oatmeal with frozen fruit.
- Mid-morning and afternoon meals I have primarily gone with all fruit on one, and then rice/beans on the next.
- Dinners - I am getting as creative as possible. Use the internet and check out vegan websites for recipes. I found a lot of good stuff. With meat and sweet potatoes comeing back into the menu for phase II, it'll be easier to cook for family.

At $10, I easily recommend the book. If you are feeling mentally weak at any given time, picking it up and re-reading some sections or looking ahead to when you can have certain foods again is reinforcing. I also look at is this way. If I lose 20 pounds and keep it off, I paid 50 cents per pound. A pretty good deal.

This diet works. So many reviews are saying it is all fruits and veggies. IT IS NOT. Beans, Brown Rice, Milk, Yogurt, Eggs, Nuts, Meat (after 9 days). I have not been hungry once since starting it.

Update on Progress:
- Starting Weight = 191 pounds
- Phase I, 9 days = lost 9 pounds (182 pounds)
- After two weeks = lost 13 pounds (178 pounds)
- After three weeks = lost 15 pounds (176 pounds - I guess this is when it starts to get more difficult. Just two pounds the past week. It is discussed in the book and what to do to jumpstart it. But honestly, 2 pounds a week is healthy so I won't change anything just yet. 15 pounds in three weeks is amazing).
on March 29, 2006
Format: Paperback
I just finished the first nine days (phase one) of the diet and have alreay lost 8 pounds! I followed the fruit and vegetable menu to a tee and incorporated oatmeal every morning along with legumes in my salad for protien. I did not find myself hungry at all consdiering you are allowed to eat as much fruit and veggies as you like!
on August 24, 2006
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
My wife and I purchased this book becuase she's a nut for Celebrity Fit Club. We both could drop a few pounds (me, definately more than her) so I decided I'd do the program with her. My wife didn't last the first day of detox- it's amazing how addicted we've become on stuff like crackers, bread, and caffeine. I'm on day 5 of detox and still going strong but it was a rough first couple of days with headaches and leg cramps. It helps that I actually enjoy brown rice and oatmeal. While I'm not a big vegetable eater I enjoy enough to find plenty to eat. I did cheat and checked out the scale this morning and was surprised to see my weight at 217 when on day one I was pushing 230. I'm sure most of it is water weight loss but it is enough to motivate me to keep going. Work and home prevents following most of the exercise regimen. While exercise is extremely important the amount dictated here is just too much for everyday working folks.

UPDATE: I'm through detox (ended up dropping 10 pounds) and, in restropect, it wasn't that bad. In fact, I'm going to stay on the detox phase a few more days. The big change is I no longer look in the pantry for snacks like chips or crackers- I open the fridge and reach for an apple, cut up a mango, or grap some carrot sticks. Like any diet it takes self discipline.

UPDATE II: It's been over 4 years and I'm happy to say I ended up shedding 60 pounds and have kept it off with only minor fluctuations (current weight is 175).
on August 17, 2006
Format: Paperback
I have been on this diet for two months. Not only have I lost 20 pounds, but I've dropped three sizes. I have tried every diet under the sun and I must admit that this is the first time that I felt like I was losing weight and not on the diet. I love the four phases of the program and the different foods you can eat without starving yourself. So many diets restrict what you can eat, but this diet allows you to go all out. I have given my book to several friends and they loved the diet so much that they went out and bought it themselves. I must admit I was skeptical at first, because I've seen the celebrities lose weight on this diet on the TV show Celebrity Fit Club. I thought this was just another Hollywood diet, but it's not. This was created by a doctor who knows what he's talking about and is interested in helping people. Below are my favorite parts of the diet.

These are the key points of the book that make it different from so many other diets. I have only included a few of them to make my point about why this program is so much different than the others. I haven't listed them in any particular order, just as they come to mind. But all of them are important.

There are 4 distinct phases:

Start with a 9-day detox of healthy foods. BEST OF ALL YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT OF THE ALLOWED FOODS!!!

I lost 10 pounds during phase I.

The second phase comes really quickly and you're allowed to eat lean meats and seafood. But you can't overdo it. You have to follow the portions that are given in the book. The good thing is that you're allowed to eat several meals a day so that you don't go hungry.

The third phase you're allowed to eat even more foods and bigger portions. At this point you're in the groove with the diet and you don't even feel like you're on a diet.

The fourth phase is really maintenance and you're eating everything from pizza to hamburgers and pasta. I just started this phase and I've lost even more pounds in this phase.

Exercise. I like the simple exercises in the book. I like that you don't have to kill yourself. I never liked to exercise, but when I saw the weight coming off and I felt so good, I realized how important the exercise was in helping me keep everything off.

NO CALORIE COUNTING! I can't stand counting calories. There are so many programs that have either points or numerical systems of some sort. This program you just eat what's on the list and you're all set.

ALLOWED TO CHEAT. I haven't been perfect on this diet. I've had my bad days, but the great thing is that even if you have a bad day you can go right back on the diet and keep losing. Other diets if you cheat you have to start all over again. Not with this diet. You just keep going as long as you want.

Great testimonials. I was really encouraged by the testimonials on the diet's [...]

I love this program and I'll do it for the rest of my life, because it makes sense and it makes me feel good!
on September 10, 2007
Format: Paperback
ok, i have always been skeptical about diet books--none of them ever worked. but...i tried this one. i started it in january of this year at the weight of 232. i lost 10 pounds in the first 9 days....40 pounds in the first 3 months...and within 6 months was down a total of 60 pounds which i have been able to keep off using his guidelines for how to eat for the rest of your life. my cholesterol went from 249 to 164 and my blood sugar corrected itself so i didn't have to go on medication for being pre-diabetic. it's the easiest diet i've ever done---once i got through the first 9 days. my hairdresser has done this now and lost 30 pounds. it's an amazing diet--and all it really does it teach you how to eat healthy--we could all use lessons in that!! there are no special shakes or pills. it is a wonderful diet that helped me go from a size 20 to a size 12. i don't know what i would have done without it.
on May 18, 2006
Format: Paperback
I was skeptical at first of this diet, but then my girlfriend went on it and lost 9 pounds in 9 days. So I decided to give it a try. I lost 7 pounds and I didn't even do the exercise like I was supposed to. Imagine if I had really followed the Dr's orders. This is a legitimate program that is serious and doesn't have any gimmicks like the others out there on the market. The food is inexpensive, the recipes delicious, and the plan easy to follow. I'm a believer!!! This diet works!!!!
VINE VOICEon July 5, 2008
Format: Paperback
Hello, I thought you might want to hear from someone who's not currently on the diet (as so many reviewers...trust me, I understand their enthusiasm!)

I finished all three phases 11 months ago, and I have maintained all the weight off. I lost 30 pounds, and I feel great. Throughout the diet, I never once felt hungry, or had trouble eating the foods he suggests (in fact, I found it hard to eat so MUCH food, because he recommends snacking and I was a one meal per day person before the diet...and this book taught me that eating like this slows your metabolism.

I'm 42, and I am back to what I weighed in high school.

I can't say enough about this diet, and I've turned a few people on to it, though, they came from very bad eating habits, so it's been harder for them to eat steamed veggies, and brown rice.

I have to say, I can eat what I want, when I want, and how much I want (I'm a nurse, and I eat cookies and cake all night long, pretty much) and my metabolism is still revved up.

Throughout the year, I have put on a pound or two, but I take it back off quickly as soon as I feel it by going back to phase two.

It's not hard, and it's well-worth sticking to.
on August 17, 2006
Format: Paperback
I don't like to write or read reviews because I think people are very mean to others and take the opportunity in forums like this to just say whatever they want and hide behind anonymous names while they make unflattering comments. That being said, I had to write a few words about this diet. My husband brought this diet home and told me that we were going to change our lives. I thought he was kidding, but he was very serious. My husband has been overweight for the last 15 years and he's never once talked about getting in shape or becoming healthier. When I realized he was serious I started crying. I've been waiting so long for him to come to this conclusion on his own. So the next day we started this program. It wasn't easy at first and both of us weren't in the best of moods during the detox, but we got through it. Now it's been seven weeks. My husband has dropped 23 pounds and I've dropped 18. We are doing things we never did before like walking in the neighborhood after work and shopping for the foods together. This might sound corny, but this diet has saved my marriage, but more importantly, it has saved the man that I have loved for 20 years. Dr. Smith, thanks for writing this book and thanks for making it so easy to read and inexpensive. I can't tell you how much you've done for me. You're a special gift and I'll never forget what you've done for us!!!!