5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and heart warming story telling
This book is a wonderful story of a boy's youth. It includes "laugh out loud" stories of growing up in the 50's and 60's. Anyone who reads this will probably remember stories of their own youth. A funny and tender story of growing up in Wisconsin.
Published 7 months ago by Noreen Killian

3.0 out of 5 stars He wrote about my homerown
Mr Ries wrote about growing up in Sheboygan, WI and he took me back to my childhood and remimded me that the men of our parents generation were emotionless but had a work ethic that transcended their inablity to express love. I felt for the child who craved his fathers attention but never quite found it.
Published on September 6, 2012 by Nan

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and heart warming story telling, June 27, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Read--Masterfully Written!!!, March 9, 2014
I totally enjoyed this book. I grew up in Sheboygan, knew Chuck's parents, his Uncle Pete, his Aunt Mary, and in fact, his entire family. And like the Ries family, my parents had seven children. His mother and mine were contemporaries--both of Lithuanian descent and our fathers were also Austrian. However, my dad had a completely different temperament and we enjoyed his warm and kind and gentle nature. In fact, he was our hero.

Our family admired the Ries family and always thought they had it "good." They were unquestionably the pillars of the church and it is easy to understand it was the center of their lives. This book gave me a very different picture of the life we had imagined for this family.

His Uncle Pete was indeed an exceptional person-- one of the happiest and energizing men of his time--and he created some of Chuck's best memories. My whole family can identify with eating cheese and sausage on day old bread. Chuck also addressed with sensitivity the decisions he and all teens face growing up re: peer groups, his sexuality, acknowledging friends, "being cool and different," and taking risks.

The quality of writing was exceptional and the author was able to "explode a moment" and describe it in vivid detail. Some of my siblings went to school with Chuck and we all attended St. Peter Claver Grade School and can recall the infamous "Fr. Weller." This coming of age book was a fast read and the author's sense of humor and command of the language was extraordinary. The reconciliation with his father, when they went for the final--silent walk together, gave their relationship a sense of redemption. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fathers We Find, June 15, 2013
The Fathers We Find took me on a journey through many Norman Rockwell paintings reflexing the poignant and funny, and I think always honest, episodes in the life experienced by its author, Charles Ries. From first page to last it was a delightful read and, after turning the last page, I wanted more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheboyganite from the good old days, June 10, 2013
THE FATHERS WE FINDI heard about the Book Signing at the Z-Spot in Sheboygan and went up there. Charles was signing books. I attended the same grade, middle, and high school, also the church that was with the Catholic School. I took me back the 40+ years to my childhood, ice skating at a local park. Back then they would flood almost all the parks in the city. We lived in the city, but I can remember going out to the Ries Farm and getting mink manure for our garden. It really made it grow well.
Reading the book it described the hardships Charles went thru and his joys.
A well put together book, AWSOME!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down..., May 20, 2013
As a Catholic Sheboyganite I got a real kick out of this story. I could certainly identify with Chuck's parochial school days. It was great being able to picture Chucky around town at fish frys and such. Thought of my own dad as I read. Sending the book on to my brother, I'm sure he will love it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Bless Sheboygan, February 28, 2013
I really cannot tell you in 20 words how much I enjoyed this book, My sister Mary,sent it to me as a gift. We grew up together in Sheboygan. I graduated in 70...That makes it special right there...I loved your details and humor. well basically you did really good. and you made Joan's Pete come to life, great characters and you honored them. Thank You, Kathy Naumann-Herbes..Our Daddy was the Verifine Milkman. Bless those Fathers,we have had and found. Just one other thing My Dad taught me to mix sugar with the bitters,ice, 7-up and garnish with orange slice and cherry, when mixing a brandy old fashion sweet. Just wanted to pass that on to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the past thru my father's eyes, February 24, 2013
My dad didn't work on a mink farm but did however work on his Ukrainian families farm. All the family did. I was able to relate to the story since there were so many similarities, a silent dad avoid of emotion and outward physical love. I to was filled w self doubt, due a family that never praised me for my accomplishments. A straight A student my whole life, eager to show my father that I once again made the Honor Roll. No that's great, just "make sure it stays that way". It was hard growing up, just like Chuck in the story, but I too learned way more than I thought I had. My dad's silence and strength gave me a good work ethnic, and a strong moral code to live by. I felt that Chuck Ross had lived and written about my life. Good read and easy to relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fathers We Find, December 29, 2012
The Fathers We Find was a wonderful read. As the author I too grew up in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and could relate to many of the areas and topics he wrote about. It is a wonderful story seen thru the authors eyes about his relationship with his father and how it affected him his entire life. At times it was so funny that I cried and at others it was so emotional I cried. Mr. Ries captures the readers attention from start to finish. I enjoyed it so much I'm going to read it again...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really beautiful story, July 5, 2012
It's been a few weeks since I finished "The Fathers We Find" and I thought it was time I came back to offer a review. In short, you need to read this book.

This is a wonderful story, told by Charles Ries with grace and lightness and finesse. It's clear he's delighted to pick through the details of his austere early life, and he's quite adept at it too. As I read through the first half of the book, I felt like I was enjoying his memories right along with him, and it made me appreciate the transition to his young adult life in the second half that much more. You can tell that this author is smiling while he writes, from the playful to the downright mischievous.

Like any really good memoir, he is able to step back and illuminate the quirkiness and - at times - hilarity of his unique upbringing on a mink farm in Wisconsin. There are several laugh-bordering-on-tears moments in this book that channel Frank McCourt. Like McCourt, these moments are often paired with a profound tenderness.

There are difficult moments, too. Ries is not afraid to face them, yet his approach is always to appreciate and understand, rather than succumbing to the "overly-psychological" tendency sometimes indulged in this genre. On a personal level, this memoir connected with me very deeply, as I shared much with the author in terms of the many "fathers" in my life.

Ultimately, this book is just a really nourishing read, especially if you're someone who enjoys stories that make you feel nostalgic. Ries has offered to us a very tasty morsel here indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah, Memories!, September 15, 2012
Author Charles P. Ries has succeeded in capturing my attention with his novel "The Fathers We Find". I was drawn into this captivating tale with the humorous and sometimes gritty retrospections of a boy named "Chuck" whilst growing up amid a slew of diverse characters whom would come to shape his life. Mr. Ries' skill as a writer became evident when I found myself transported to that mink ranch, the proverbial "fly on the wall". An honest and witty narrative which left me wanting more. A truly great read !