5.0 out of 5 stars A bittersweet celebration of love and life...
Published 3 months ago by M. Bullions

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie, bracelet not so much
The package arrived right on time. Sadly, the Limited Edition Infinity Bracelet is already breaking right after I took it out. So if you are buying this for the movie and bracelet, just buy the dvd.
Published 2 days ago by Amy Van Deventer

5.0 out of 5 stars A bittersweet celebration of love and life..., June 6, 2014
There’s a critic’s quote on the back of my copy of “The Fault in Our Stars,” by John Green, which I really felt captured the book’s essence and how it felt to read it. “This is a book that will break your heart – not by wearing it down, but by making it bigger and bigger until it bursts.” This is true. But, don’t be mistaken. This is an emotionally exhausting story. All a movie of a beloved book can hope to accomplish is to do justice to the book’s essence, and to give the viewer the same feeling they had when reading it as a novel. “The Fault in Our Stars” does this, and then some.

“Stars” follows Hazel (Shailene Woodley), who was diagnosed with cancer at the age of thirteen. A clinical trial gave her a few good years, but she has never been really anything but terminal. Her behavior leads her parents (Laura Dern and Sam Trammel) to believe she’s depressed, and force her to attend an insufferable cancer support group, where she meets who turns out to be the love of her life, Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort).

So first, I’ll calm the book readers down a bit. Woodley, who proved in 2011’s “The Descendants,” that she is a dynamic actress, and could helm YA-novel adaptations without being compared to Kristen Stewart, makes for a dynamic Hazel, giving a sublime and beautiful performance that could (and should) earn her some Academy attention this winter. Elgort is brooding, romantic and infectiously charismatic – a pitch perfect Augustus. And best yet, these two young actors have a chemistry that is electric, and should hit non-fans just as hard as it does those familiar with the source material.

Amy Jellicoe, I mean, Laura Dern is lovely as Hazel’s martyr mother. Dern played Amy Jellicoe in one of my favorite television series of all time, HBO’s cancelled-too-soon “Enlightened,” and she plays exactly the character from the book, and doesn’t change much. Sam Trammel (HBO’s “True Blood”) does nice work too. In the novel, Hazel’s father broke out crying almost every time she was in his presence, which Trammel doesn’t do. I guess that’s a good thing.

When the end-of-second-act plot twist hits, you will likely be in tears the entire third act of the movie, like I was. The book’s tone reminded me of Showtime’s series “The Big C.” It’s about a morbid subject – cancer, but treats its subject with lightness and finds a way to convey the humor in a terrible situation. “The Fault in Our Stars” is like the book in that way – it is at times grim and morbid in its detail about disease. But the characters manage to crack jokes about their awful predicament, which makes the third-act punch hurt a little less.

The film only makes a few slight changes in story from the book. Hazel’s friend Kaitlyn is written out completely, which actually works. Hazel is better portrayed as someone who was lonely and friendless until the great love of her life came around. Kaitlyn was an afterthought in the book anyway. The backstory of Augustus’s previous girlfriend Caroline is also written out, which is not such a good choice. But a book fan is always going to find things to nitpick.

In the end, Josh Boone made a superb adaptation of a beloved novel, which captured what it felt like to read the book. Not only that, but it captures the unmistakable feeling of being in love for the first time. The film itself is heartbreaking (you will cry…no way around it,) hopeful, wise, and acerbic in its wit. It will remind you not to live every day like it’s your last – but to just live.

Grade: A

5.0 out of 5 stars The movie stayed fairly true to the book., September 7, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (Amazon Instant Video)
There has been a lot of hype around both the book and this movie. Enough hype to convince me to finally read the book and then go see the movie on opening day.

I thought The Fault in Our Stars was cast perfectly. I had seen a movie poster prior to reading the book so that could have significantly influenced me. The movie stayed fairly true to the book. Of course things had to be cut and changed to make this movie work but overall I think the adaptations they made worked well.

While reading I pictured the characters much sicker than they appeared on the screen, however, I understand that no one really wants to watch a 2 hour movie with sickly looking dying people. There aren’t many movies that I watch more than once but I would like to see this one again.

Content: There is some moderate language sprinkled throughout and one use of the F word. If you have read the book you know there is a sex scene. The scene cuts after Hazel removes her bra (seen only from the back) and picks back up with them sleeping entwined in each others arms. I am going to take my 14 year old to see this. Once again there is a little more content than I am comfortable with her seeing. (I wish the sex scene had cut a little earlier and that there was a little less language). However it is a movie she really wants to see and I’m going to let her see it.

My recommendation – If you are going to see it read the book first. They did a great job adapting this from a book to a movie but there is much that had to be left out and as is usually the case the book is better than the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Will Cry and Want To Hate-Tweet John Green For Writing Such an Emotionally Draining Story, May 25, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (DVD)
There are two stories that have captured the essence of life and death as a millennial today. One is a great spiritual fiction Now and at the Hour of Our Death. The other will make you want to hate tweet John Green for writing such an emotionally tormenting story

First off you will probably cry at this film more than you ever have at a movie. You will probably ugly cry. Just warning you! The film of The Fault in Our Stars is a great adaption of a beautiful and wonderfully-written novel. It's sort of perfect.

I think they picked the perfect actors to play the roles so many have come to appreciate through the book and the film follows along the story well, being true to Green's excellente novel. When it's brought to life, there's actually more emotion and feeling than I felt with the book, which is saying alot. I love when Agustus Waters compliments Hazel Grace with her canula draped under her nose and over her ears. I couldn't stop bawling and my heart kinda flutters now every time I hear someone say "okay".

The acting is good and maintains the believability of the characters and the story, which is important because while these are everyday teens living in an everyday town, their fight with a horrible disease and the unusual things it makes people do is tough to pull off if you're not a good actor. Shailene and Ansel certainly are.

There are two stories out there that capture the essence of life. They've made an amazing film out of this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect like the book, June 15, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (Amazon Instant Video)
I really love this book and the movie is perfect too. The film is very faithful to the book, has the key phrases and scenes, is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault in Our Stars, June 9, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (DVD)
***This review assumes you have read the book A Fault in Our Stars and may have spoilers if you haven't.***
The Fault in Our Stars was one of the best books I read last year so I had high hopes that the movie would do the book justice. I was not disappointed.
When I heard that Shailene Woodley was cast as Hazel, I was concerned. I know her mostly from The Secret Life of the American Teenager and I never thought she was very good in that. Granted, that may have been because of the material she was given to work with. However, her acting was great in this movie. She conveyed complex emotions through subtle facial expressions. I was impressed. Her haircut and wardrobe made her sufficiently dowdy like I pictured Hazel would be.
Ansel Elgort was a good choice for Gus, both in looks and attitude. I was also happy with the rest of the cast. I'm a fan of Mike Birbiglia and was surprised that he was in this movie. He turned out to be great as the cheesy support group leader Mike. And True Blood fans - Sam (Sam Trammell) plays Hazel's dad!
The movie condensed the book in just the right way. Augustus still has some of his angsty, mature dialogue but not as much as in the book. I know some people thought the way he talked in the book was unrealistic. They will probably think the movie version is more believable. The one thing that bothered me is the stupid cigarette that Gus has dangling out of his mouth most of the time. I don't remember it being as prominent in the book. Maybe I just didn't visualize it when reading. Either way, I didn't care for it. It's supposed to be a metaphor but it seems like he depends on it as a comfort item, even though he never lights it of course. I remember the storyline with Hazel's favorite author (played by the awesome Willem Dafoe) being kind of zany in the book and it was too much for me. It's toned down nicely in the movie.
Even if you haven't read the book, this is a fantastic movie. It's a love story about two people who happen to have cancer. It's not overly sentimental or trite. I give it two thumbs way up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best and sadest movie, August 14, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (DVD)
This is the best sadest movie I have ever seen since I saw it my mind has only been focused on wanting to own this movie and I can't wait till it comes out

5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in Love with The Fault in Our Starts, September 4, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (Amazon Instant Video)
For those of you who have not read the book, the storyline focuses on two teenagers Augustus and Hazel who meet at a cancer support group. From at first glance you can feel the chemistry, they are drawn together but not just because they have cancer, but by love and all they want to experience together. The emotional journey they embark on, has you hooked. You will cry, laugh and wish for an alternate ending, but all of us book nerds know how it ends.

As with all books turned into movies, you will notice some subtle differences in The Fault in Our Stars, the movie omits Hazel's best friend (Kaitlyn), so Hazel appears to be a loner, but it works. Another character omitted was Gus' former girlfriend Caroline who died of cancer. There were a few other smaller differences throughout the movie, but the biggest difference for me was at the end, when Hazel searches everywhere for that "letter" Gus wrote for her, that is portrayed differently in the movie, it is not as frantic, emotional, gut wrenching as the book.

The acting was superb, Woodley and Elgort portrayed the characters exactly as I imagined. Laura Dern nailed Hazel's mom! I was also shocked that William Defoe was cast as Van Houten, I was expecting an older cantankerous character. I truly loved this film, even once I was done watching it, I wanted more. I will be watching this film over and over again.

Looking for some girl time this weekend, I would suggest experiencing The Fault in Our Stars! A great book turned into a movie is always a safe bet and good time. A great way to stay connected with the characters we fell in love with on paper, now to only fall in love again on the big screen!

Disclosure: I received a digital download for free, in exchange for my honest opinions

4.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you grateful that you don't have cancer..., September 4, 2014
kctuke (New Haven, CT) - See all my reviews
"The Fault in Our Stars" was a very poignant story about young love and the impact of cancer on young lives. As a reader, you will feel the pain and suffering and the love between the main characters. The author chronicles the relationship of Gus and Hazel who meet at a cancer kids support group. In the book's dialogue between Gus and Hazel, they are just regular teens cracking jokes and making fun of themselves, laughing about their shared experiences with cancer treatments and playing video games. The pace of the story seems spontaneous and genuine as it brings the friendship of Gus and Hazel into a love story. "Fault in our Stars" has many other secondary stories including Hazel's fixation with her favorite author who writes a book without and ending and their mutual friend, Isaac from the cancer group who loses his vision to cancer. It honestly portrays the relationship of Gus and Hazel with their respective parents who struggle with the reality of having kids who are so sick. I have read other novels about cancer victims but "Fault in Our Stars" is the first book about cancer which I have read that honestly portrays the everyday suffering of kids with cancer patients and their outlook on living and dying. In this book, the reader knows that Hazel and Gus will succumb to their cancer and never enjoy the love that they have discovered. It is sad but honest in its depiction of Gus and Hazel's unique insights about being terminally ill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and Heartwarming, July 22, 2014
The Fault In Our Stars Is Possibly One Of The Best Romantic Movies Of All Time,
And One Of The Best Film Adaptations.

Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters Love Story Is Tragic But Romantic
And Heartbreaking but at the same time Heartwarming.
They're Courage, Hope, Support and Love For One Another Is Truly Strong.
It Really Tells That No Matter What God Gave You, If You're With Your Love One(s) You Can Conquer Them All.

The Movie, The Story and The Acting Is Superb.
The Movie Really Developed The Story and The Characters. No Dull Moments.
Some Of The Scenes In The Book Is Not Shown or Used In The Movie,
But That Always Happen On Film Adaptations.
Great Cinematography, Score and Soundtrack.

Over All THE FAULT IN OUR STARS Is One Of The Movies That Should Not Be Missed.

5 Out Of 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Actors, May 25, 2014
This review is from: The Fault In Our Stars (DVD)
Who says cancer support groups can't be uplifting? On the first official "open" day of the 2014 Seattle International Film Festival, I managed to catch a film that wasn't part of the press screenings I have attended for the past three weeks. And was it worth it! The Egyptian Theatre was filled to the rafters with fans of the wildly popular Young Adult novel by John Green; it was fun to watch the audience telegraph each phase of this realistic look at young people dealing with malignancies. The young gal next to me pulled out some tissue in anticipation of one sad scene and wriggled with glee when something funny was coming up.

This film is loaded with humor, but it also has powerful performances by stellar actors. The author was on set during the filming, so he was downstairs while the mother and daughter were doing an extremely emotional scene in an upstairs bedroom. Green became so agitated when he heard the girl's voice, they had to restrain him from barging in on the scene to comfort her.

We admire:
* Shailene Woodley ("Divergent") is Hazel, our young heroine, suffering from terminal cancer, who schleps her oxygen equipment everywhere she goes...including Anne Frank's attic in Amsterdam!
* Ansel Elgort ("Divergent" - he was her brother in that one) Gus refuses to be pulled into Hazel's negative space, but he does it with such wit and charm, she can't help but respond.
* Laura Dern ("Enlightened") is our heroine's happily married mother, insightful, supportive and consistently loving.
* Sam Trammell ("True Blood") is her father, who isn't sure his girl has enough strength for a friendship like this.
* Nat Wolff ("Stuck in Love") is their best friend Isaac who has lost one eye to cancer and now is confronted with the possibility of losing the other...plus a girlfriend. He shows us the therapeutic value of venting one's rage. We LOVED the scene with the eggs!
* Willem Dafoe ("The Grand Budapest Hotel") is Peter Van Houten, a much-admired author they want to meet.
* Lotte Verbeek ("Outlander"!) is his lovely personal assistant.

Kudos to Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber for adapting this poignant novel for its legions of youthful fans. There is no profanity, nudity, gunfire, vehicular mayhem or blowie uppie stuff. This audience left the theater very, very happy.

The Fault In Our Stars