5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful and Useful Surprise
Published 18 months ago by DiannaR

1.0 out of 5 stars The 5-2 diet
I learned more on the internet by googling this diet than I did in this book. It was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.
Published 14 months ago by Marily V. Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful and Useful Surprise, January 6, 2013
I really didn't mean to buy this book. I was looking for the book by Dr. Mosley after seeing an article on the BBC. That book was not yet available but I saw this one down below. I didn't expect much - probably just some airhead without any professional training or actual experience with the method trying to make a few bucks by capitalizing on the publicity of the BBC program and writing a pile of fluff. But, since I had had great success with a similar type of diet plan some years ago, I though I would just have a look and then, probably, write a scathing review.

Well, I greatly underestimated the author and the quality of this book. She is actually a professional writer, although not usually in this field. You can't believe how much this helps you actually keep on reading the book. She has done a really professional job of giving facts and making them interesting. She intersperses her own experiences (diary notations) and those of others who have also actually used this method with solid descriptions of the method and the science behind it. Towards the end she supplies some recipes for the low calorie days.

Having been through a similar, but not exactly the same, process in the past, I can say that the experiences the author and the others report ring true. Their comments give you a very good idea of what to expect while you are going through this. I lost more than 80 pounds on a very similar plan and kept it all off for about twelve years before I got lazy. This is a plan a body can truly stay on for a very long time. No faddish nonsense here. I still weigh less than I did when I first used this method about 40 years ago but I certainly need to get it back in place again.

There is also a bit of scientific background in this book, which is explained, I think, clearly and exactly. This is not a fluffy approach. She introduces many relevant scientific findings, many very recent, so we can understand better why this approach is likely to help us get our weights down to a reasonable level while also improving our general health. She gives a lot of sound reasons, with scientific explanations, why the intermittent fasting approach is likely to make us much healthier in general, weight loss or not. For those of us trying to lose some weight she makes the very important point, that I have also seen elsewhere, that, as your weight goes down, so do your daily calorie expenditures. So, you must account for this if you intend to keep losing weight at the same rate or just realize that your rate of weight loss will slow down over time if you keep ingesting the same number of calories. There are references and links to other sites so you can read other relevant articles and do calculations easily yourself. These links do not generally go to the primary literature but to other interpreters of it. Nonetheless, as a Ph.D. in a biomedical field, I think these links will be more useful to most readers than the original scientific articles.

One caveat to U.S.A. readers is that the author is British and tends to use their systems of measurement, sometimes mixed up with ours. She quotes weights in stone (1 stone = 14 lbs) and kg (1 kg = 2.2 lbs.) but those do not resonate with most Americans. Her recipes tend to list amounts in grams, which are very precise but not so easily measured on U.S. scales. A gram is only a wee bit, a mere 0.035274 ounces. One oz (which many U.S. scales report, is 28.349 grams, and that's just by weight. Similarly, you may need to look up some volume conversions. I was pleasantly surprised by the recipes. I haven't tried them yet but many of them look like things I would actually like, while maintaining the calorie profiles one needs for those low cal days.

Bottom line - this is a really clear and well-written manual for a method I know from my own experience will work to help a person lose weight. It's true she is enthusiastic about this method, but she makes her case very convincingly and brings the reader along. She seems to be a friend who knows how this all works and is delighted to help us get on with it. I am inspired by her book to get back on this and will update my review as time goes on to let you know if it still works for this old lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, January 13, 2013
This book is concise, to the point, easy to read and easy to follow. I have also particularly enjoyed reading her diary entries, which make the whole idea of IF more accessible to a reader.
I have been following the 5:2 diet since January 2nd and it is a real pleasure. It's actually very gratifying and relaxing for the body to have a break from food. And it is a pleasure to eat again more fully. I have been so much more appreciative of, and grateful for food and taste of things since I started the 5:2 diet. It is an unexpected benefit.

Also what is there not to like about a diet that has supposedly so many health benefits (against chronic disease, cancer, brain fog), with a side effect of weightloss?

This book is very readable, with an English sense of humor (the author is English) and I would recommend it to anyone.

Oh, and BTW, my husband, who does not need to lose weight, has been doing this diet with me, and is also enjoying it very much. I need to lose about 20 lbs, so far have lost 6, that's in 10 days, and on the 5 non-fasting days I eat whatever I want. Really. As I said I'm appreciating food so much more and that makes me more aware of what goes into my mouth. It's been, and is, a lot of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, April 9, 2013
The author does a great job of going into detail with regards to the effects of effective dieting on the brain and the body. The meal plans are well edited and are detailed but i wish they would have included more picures!!!! I have been at it for the last 2 weeks and have lost 7 pounds. i have not been under 200 pounds since college. I would give this book to anyone that simply wants to lose weight via a simple book. I am however a southern boy and i love to eat big meals. I recommend slow cooking to anyone that doesn't want to "starve" themselves thin. I attached a link below to a book that helped me a great deal along with this book. Have a go and have some fun, cooking is supposed to be fun not a chore.50 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes: 50 Simple and Healthy Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5:2 Diet Book, March 10, 2013
I am a Family Practice doctor with over 30 years of frustration watching my patients fail almost every diet. I need to lose 15 lbs myself and have survived the first restricted calorie day much easier than I would have expected. I enjoyed quickly reading this abbreviated book on the 5:2 diet and hope that it will indeed prove to be an answer for my patients as well as for my own life!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book truly changed my life...., June 26, 2013
I want to start with what people really want to know...will you lose weight with this way of eating? The answer is a resounding YES! I am a 49 year old peri-menopausal woman and my weight had been slowly creeping up over the last year. I started trying all the things that had worked for me in the past to curb the climbing numbers on the scale but this time nothing seemed to be working. Through a series of coincidences, I came across the idea of intermittent fasting and then Kate Harrison's book. That was the first week of March. By the first part of May, I had dropped 20 pounds and I have been maintaining my loss since then with absolutely no difficulty.

Intermittent fasting does take a bit of willpower and dedication, but the longer you stick with it, the easier it becomes. You may experience some headaches and other minor issues when you begin but these will disappear in a relatively short amount of time. It is definitely a mental challenge more than anything and you will learn a lot about yourself and your relationship with food as you go along. For me though, the rewards outweigh any difficulties without question! I know that there isn't another "diet" out there where I could have NOT counted calories or denied myself a treat 5 days out of 7 and still lost an average of 2 pounds a week?!?!

The book itself was well written and I recommend it to all of my friends who see the new, slimmer me and ask "what's your secret?" I have the Kindle version and was pleased with the editing and layout. As others have mentioned, this was written by someone from the UK so you will need to do a little "interpreting" if you live in the U.S. but I really didn't find this to be a big issue.

After you purchase and read the book, I would absolutely recommend joining Kate's 5:2 facebook page to help you as you start your 5:2 journey. You will find an incredible group of supportive people, including Kate herself, to give you advice and encouragement with this way of eating. The facebook page was really the secret to my success with the plan.

Intermittent fasting has become not just a way of eating for me, but a way of life. I continue to incorporate a weekly fast to not only help me maintain my weight but for the potential health benefits as well. I am finally confident that I can be slim and healthy through menopause and beyond!

1.0 out of 5 stars The 5-2 diet, May 1, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars startled by good reviews, April 20, 2013
let me first say, i purchased this book in addition to Michael Mosley's the fast diet. These two books are worlds apart. Dr. Mosley's book is an intelligent discussion interspersed with personal experience and examples of meals. The 5:2 diet is a disjointed poorly edited scattered disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breathless magazine fluff instead of useful info, May 23, 2013
Patricia Rogers (Melbourne, VIC Australia) - See all my reviews
Disappointed. I was looking for something useful and practical but got endless detail of Bridget Jones finds a diet that works. Don't recommend at all. (Anyone want a secondhand copy?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, March 30, 2013
Clear down-to-earth explanation of how the plan works and, more importantly, ways to make it work for you. Been following the plan for 2 weeks now and lost 5 lbs already. Fasting is way less scary than you think!! Go for it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5:2 Diet Book, April 2, 2013
This is a diet that you can stay on. My fast days are very easy and you only have one day to stay on it. If you plan your food for the day you will have no problems. I also like the fact that if something comes up you can change your fast day.

The 5:2 Diet: Feast for 5 Days, Fast for 2 Days to Lose Weight and Revitalize Your Health
$12.95 $8.99