5.0 out of 5 stars It just fits.
Published on March 18, 2007 by xoxo

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes to fiber...no to fake!
Published on April 4, 2007 by Lee Mellott

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes to fiber...no to fake!, April 4, 2007
I think Brenda Watson is correct in her assessment that eating a high fiber diet can help an individual lose weight. Doughnuts, chips, and candy which are all fiberless and nutritionless tend to pack the pounds on. Eating high fiber foods like whole grains, beans, and broccoli make you feel fuller, so you eat less. Many of us know the feeling of eating junk food and feeling bloated and then hungry pretty soon after.

Brenda goes into depth in her book as to how fiber can be beneficial. She also recommends some interesting ideas such as using a sauna to speed up the metabolism and burn more calories.

The disappointment with the book is that the actual diet and the plan for life relies not on real food but on the use of bars and shakes. I don't see anything wrong with drinking a shake or eating a bar, but I would prefer to eat real food and sadly, that is not in this plan.

I noticed after reading other reviews that Brenda sells bars and shakes, so it does seem like she may have an agenda with the meal plan she proposes. Brenda does offer some great information on fiber, if she had offered a plan with bars/shakes and another plan with "real" food, this could have been a great book. But since she didn't I personally feel there are better fiber plan books on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just fits., March 18, 2007
I got this book because I have tried and tried with The Sonoma and South Beach Diets and finally decided that what I was doing could be defined as insanity; "doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result". Those diets, along with other higher protein and lower carb diets, never fit me or my lifestyle. I kept telling myself that I needed to make a change and kept trying to force myself to make changes. The problem was (is) that it never felt like anything I could do for a lifetime.

Years ago I did a low-fat diet and I lost weight easily and kept it off easily for about 5 years. I exercised a lot and was in the best shape of my life. I began to gain a little weight and instead of looking at my program and tweaking it I let myself gain 15 or more pounds before decided to stop and take a look at my diet. At about that time there was a lot of buzz about how low fat diets don't work . . . ironically, I believed it even though it had worked for me and for 5 years!

For the next 6 years I bounced back and forth between The Zone, Atkins, South Beach Diet, and The Sonoma Diet. I gained the same 10-15 pounds over and over with a net result of being heavier than when I started 6 years ago. Making a lifestyle change is hard and nearly impossible if the diet doesn't "gel" or fit naturally.

One day I was frustrated with spinning my wheels and stated looking at Amazon for a low-fat diet book. There aren't many lower fat diet books because most of the buzz is about the type of diets that I have been doing and haven't worked for me. I ran into Fiber35 and I thought it sounded great. I noticed right away that the type of foods that I "can" eat are the kind of foods I "want" to eat. It fit!

Fiber35 is working for me. This just fits for me and my family. I taped the Fiber35 program on IPTV. Eating more fiber works by helping aid in weight loss, blood stabilazation, and improve our immunity. I prefer getting my fiber from real food so that I can get a lot of healthy phytonutrients that fight disease but may use a supplement.

There are other healthy diets out there but this one just fits. When I prepare my menu I am happy about the choices and look forward to eating and serving my family what I have prepared. Before I sat down with my cookbook to make my menu and I honestly thought "maybe it wont be that bad". I would sigh and tell myself that it was "good for me" so it was what I had to make to be healthy. I hoped that after doing the diet for a while that I would learn to love the food I was eating. The authors say that we will stop craving "junk" food so I thought maybe I would start craving slabs of meat and boring or odd side dishes. I never did and therefore would sway from being on a diet to being off a diet. My weight was like a yo-yo.

This week I have lost 4 pounds (6 days). I already have more energy which is huge for this time of year. Normally, I am dog tired from the thaw and coming of spring (seasonal allergies). Not this year.

I have tweaked the diet a little. I really believe in low-fat diets so I am watching my fat grams. My goal is to have 20-40 fat grams and 35-55 grams of fiber each day. I do keep an eye on my calories but I don't worry too much about it.

I journal every meal and am trying to work on my goal of journaling it before I eat it instead of eating and then journaling.

I have always exercised. I still do and will continue.

I will update my progress as I go along with Fiber35. It is very healthy and so easy . . . it fits me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diet and A Must Read For Everyone, March 6, 2007
I found out about the book on PBS. I've been eating my 35 grams of fiber ever since and using some of the tips to boost my metabolism. It works. Brenda Watson really explains what "good nutrition" looks like and offers plenty of recipes for great tasting high fiber meals. The Fiber35 Diet is very easy to follow. It has great research that proves what she says but doesn't get bogged down in heavy medical jargon. Everyone should eat this way, even if you don't need to lose weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something that finally works!!, March 7, 2007
I have yo yo dieted my entire life. Now hitting my 30's my metabolism has changed and nothing has seemed to work anymore. I started Fiber 35 about a month ago without high expectations for this reason. I worked my way up to 50 grams of fiber a day. After a month I have lost an overall 7 inches!! I am not hungry and I feel healthier. I finally feel like my body is getting what it needs. I still have more to loose and I know that I will hit my goal this time before giving up, from hunger or lack of results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Diet/Extremelhy Well Written, March 6, 2007
Can't recommend this book enough. I've read them all. Extremely well written, great clinical foundation. Using Fiber rich foods as the central part of my diet makes 100% sense to me. I love the focus on using whole foods and organic foods as much as possible. Having 35 grams of fiber as a target makes the diet easy to follow. Fantastic recipes and plenty of them to get started and stay on the program. Found more recipes on the website. I never knew the extent to which fiber and fiber rich foods fight so many kinds of disease. This is a life changing diet for me. I can't recommend this enough!!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Fiber 35 Diet, April 1, 2007
While there is useful information in this book, most of the information has been around for quite awhile. You can find all kinds of excellent books about adding fiber to your diet at your local library. Still I purchased this book in the hopes of obtaining some brand names for some of the fiber supplements the author recommended (via her PBS program), and for a listing of the fiber grams contained in foods. I was disappointed that except for her own line of products (Renew brand), which were not specifically fiber supplements but additional products, this information was not included in the book. When an author raves on PBS and in her book about fiber drinks, fiber wafers, etc., you expect to be given some brands names so you know which the author thinks are the healthiest. Being advised to just check out your local health foods store and supermarket doesn't really help most people. There are unhealthy foods even in health food stores and some ingerdients added to many fiber supplements such as sugar or fructose are not the healthiest additives. Based on her extensive background I was expecting much more from this author. I also agree with the reviewer who thought many of the reviews sounded suspicious. I thought so when I read them but still hoped I would find something useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and True, June 27, 2007
When my wife and I started this diet about a month ago we were both overweight. I was about 215-220 and I'm 5'11" tall. Now I weigh 193 and I continue to drop a little. My wife has dropped about twenty pounds too, but she won't let me tell you where she started or ended. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm healthier thanks to more water and fiber intake. I highly recommend you give this a chance. I can't see where getting waste out of your gut is a bad thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am a little confused :-(, May 7, 2007
I believe that fibre is important and that we need to try to boost the fibre content of our diet. The thing I am confused by is some of the calorie counts. For example on pg. 195 is a recipe for Steel-Cut Oat Crunch. I like this recipe and have been making it several mornings a week. This morning I decided to leave out the apple so I tried to figure out the difference in calories and fibre by doing so. I was shocked to find that when I checked the calories of the 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats (dry as stated in the recipe) it was 340 calories without the other ingredients she lists in her recipe. She has the recipe stating that there is 312 calories per serving. Once you add the 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/2 apple and a 1/4 cup almond milk, you are looking at more like twice the calories that she stated. Can anyone advise if I have misunderstood in some way because it makes me feel less confident in knowing the accuracy of the calorie counts in other recipes. She does state emphatically that calories DO COUNT. This recipe would be way too many calories to consume for one meal if you are aiming at 1300 calories. This may account for my very slow weight loss and resulting frustration.

Are there any other concerns about accuracies?

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Five Stars....But, February 21, 2008
All of Brenda Watson's books are pretty good, including this one. As was stated by many of the other reviewers, "there's really nothing new about adding fiber to the diet." While this is true, this book creates a specific paradigm for implementing a structured program and integrating it into one's daily schedule in a relatively simple way.

Brenda has created a compelling story of why fiber is essential and adds enough science to justify her contention without overwhelming the average reader.

My only complaint is while touting a 35-gram fiber diet, her recipes were relatively low fiber. There are an abundant of high fiber meals and recipes that she could have included and didn't. As an example, her recipe for chicken in a lettuce bowl is 212 calories with one gram of fiber. What is that recipe doing in a book encouraging us to include more fiber in our diet? As a matter of fact most of the recipes had less than three grams of fiber per serving. What was she thinking?

There are so many ways to add sufficient fiber into the diet without living on supplements. It's clear to me, however, that her mission was to promote her Fiber 35 Diet supplement line instead of teaching people how to select high fiber meal choices.

Dr. Glenn B. Gero, N.D., R.N.C., M.H., C.E.S., C.L.C.
Holistic Naturopathic Center
Clifton, NJ

5.0 out of 5 stars This really works!, March 16, 2007
I've been on a lot of diets, but this is the first book I've read where I don't feel like I'm buying into something that's too good to be true. It sounds like a gimmick, kinda like the 'EAT ALL THE BACON YOU WANT' diets, but when you read the book you'll see that it's not like that at all. And the 35 grams of fiber is just a way to keep from feeling hungry. I really like this book! And even though I've only been on it for a week, I've already lost 4 pounds! Give it a shot!

The Fiber35 Diet: Nature's Weight Loss Secret
The Fiber35 Diet: Nature's Weight Loss Secret by Leonard Smith (Paperback - February 12, 2008)
$16.00 $12.16