5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book and a source of information for my own book!, July 30, 2005
This review is from: The Fifty-Year Seduction: How Television Manipulated College Football, from the Birth of the Modern NCAA to the Creation of the BCS (Hardcover)
While watching Texas coach Mack Brown gleefully accept the final BCS nomination this past bowl season, I mentioned to my wife that someone should write a book uncovering the history behind the BCS shams we consistently witness from year-to-year. My wife suggested I write it as I have been involved in high school, collegiate and professional sports for the majority of my life. Little did I know, that Keith Dunnavant had already written a book which uncovered the information I was searching for. While I have utilized and referenced a lot of his material for the evolution of the BCS chapters within my book, my book takes serious aim at uncovering the east-coast / west-coast bias issues and the rift that occurs between the BCS and non-BCS conferences. I also offer a lesser restrictive alternative as a solution to the BCS woes.

Nonetheless, his book is outstanding and was a major inspiration and source of history for my own project. I recommend this book to anyone who aspires to understand the BCS controversy and ultimately how the fans can change the system so it is more equitable and fair to all Division I-A programs. Keith's book - The Fifty Year Seduction - will fascinate, inspire and enrich your college football knowledge, perspective and understanding of the many controversies, scandals and methods of corruption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be read by all True College Football Fans, December 31, 2004
This is a well written, well researched book on the relationship of TV and college football. While I was aware of the significant ruling in the 80s when Georgia and Oklahoma as a test case for the CFA were allowed to televise away from the standard one game a week on ABC, I was not aware that the outcome was more games but significantly lower TV revenue. This was the most significant development of the past 50 years with the next big move being the bowl tie-ins and increased revenue available from the BCS bowls in the 90s.

But what this author did such a good job of was detailing the personalities involved with the NCAA and how that dictated how TV contracts were negotiated up until the 80s. Some fallout of those relationships is what led to the later mess in TV rights fees.

Having worked on a fundraising board with a 1-A College athletic program, this is a must read that I would recommend for any athletic administrator or diehard fan. I find it interesting that this book has been out three months and it hasn't been reviewed. I suspect that means that not many college football fans also read books. Or maybe it means they don't use Amazon. Irrespective, do yourself a favor and read this book if you enjoy the game of college football.

4.0 out of 5 stars So that's why college football is so bizarre, January 14, 2005
G. L. Jones "luke" (Portland,OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely essential reading for anyone who is interested in the business of college football. Even if you are just a casual college football fan, this book is pretty easy to read and helps explain a lot of things, like how Notre Dame can remain outside of the conference system and why the post season is so chaotic.

If there is any short-coming, it might be that the book focuses a little too much on the internal management of the NCAA, especially the consolidation of power that occurred under Wally Byers. But, in the end, this is such a gigantic subject that it had to have some kind of hook.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever on why we have the jacked up BCS, April 24, 2009
Keith Dunnavant is an incredibly thorough author and journalist. This book lays out how we ended up with the screwed up system that we now have in college football (namely the BCS).

It's not an easy read in the sense that it is not totally a novel. Instead this book is layered with details and facts about all the backdoor deals and negotiations that have gone on over the last 50 years of college football that created the powerhouse conferences while relegating dozens of would be contenders to the sidelines. But you must take notes to keep track.

The book will make you furious if you are a true fan of college football or at least just appreciate the importance of a level playing field in the world of athletics. (If you are from a powerhouse conference like the SEC - you will likely want this book and the author burned at the stake. :) But take heart. We all want you burned at the stake now that we know how you got there.)

The power of the text is that Mr. Dunnavant shows no favoritism to any conference or any team. Some people that I considered to be the bad guys before hand were explained in their proper context to show who's hands are tied and just who's tying them.

An excellent read if you want to actually know what you are talking about at the tailgate party.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars College Football, April 15, 2005
Zach OSU (Stillwater OK) - See all my reviews
In Keith Donavan's The Fifty Year Seduction the author discuses how the introduction of televising college football games has changed the business side of the game forever, and helped it become the money maker that it is today. In this non fiction sports book he shows how the evolution of the media has had a direct influence on the game. This is a must read for any college football fan, who wants to fully understand the inner workings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant book for the college Football fan, January 24, 2013
Excellant background for the College Football fan interested in how College Football on TV got to this point. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for college football fans, January 20, 2012
As part of my elective course in business school I was allowed to write a paper on the financial implications of a changed to the Bowl Championship Series (BCS). One of the biggest arguments my paper made (see May 11th post here:[...]/) was a college football playoff was actually financially superior to the BCS for all colleges involved. Keith Dunnavant's book played an integral part in my preparation to write this research paper.

I believe that this book is worth the read especially for you die-hard college football fans out there! It will give you a deep insight into how television money has forever changed/shaped the Lancaster of the sport we all love so much.

With that I leave you with my favorite quote from the book:

"The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was devised outside the structure of the NCAA. It was a creation not just of the big six leagues but of the free market, of television. Since television made the BCS possible, television will ultimately have the final say on whether a larger and more inclusive BCS will work financially."

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for fans of college football, February 9, 2010
This book provides a great overview of the history of college football in a fast-paced and entertaining manner. Great for fans of the game!

Rate and Discover Movies