Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on April 10, 2013
I own a few tomahawks, so I picked up this book to learn more about them and to learn some techniques for (potentially) using them. This book was great. I accidentally ordered this book instead of the first volume, but I found it useful and easy to follow. I've never studied martial arts or sword fighting, and even though this book contained elements of both, it was easy to understand. There are lots of diagrams and step-by-step instructions for techniques, concepts, and practice drills. It may take a few minutes to understand the drawn diagrams, but most people will figure them out pretty quickly. Also, this is not one of those systems where you have to follow each technique 100 percent and get every tiny aspect perfect. For example, the section on footwork emphasizes the reader's ability to stay stable and balanced in doing the moves rather than studying the footwork diagrams and having to recreate them precisely each time. The moves feel pretty natural and make sense; the author would rather have you rely on that feeling instead of over thinking what you're doing. The author gives great advice and techniques, but doesn't get fanatical about it. There are sections on basic attack moves and angles, footwork, training, sparring, and using the off hand for open-handed moves or counter strikes with a knife. If you're looking to find out more about how to fight with a tomahawk (and what to do with your other hand) this book is great.
on March 26, 2016
I bought this book to learn more about the tomahawk in close quarters combat. At the time of my purchase (2013), the only written information on this subject was a Cold Steel article by Lynn Thompson ([...]), and "The Fighting Tomahawk."

McLemore clearly put more time and thought into writing and excellent illustrations--it's high quality in its presentation. He is a very talented artist and it helps to put the reader into the situation.

However, a lot of the information is a retread from "The Fighting Tomahawk." I wish I had not bothered with Volume I. Volume II adds more information (as it should), but it does meander around quite a bit, some of it has nothing to do with tomahawks ("eye gouges" and footwook, etc.). I am disappointed that it barely touches upon the use of the spike tomahawk, which is surprising given it prevalence (in the past, and in the current tomahawk market).

If you REALLY want to study how to fight with a tomahawk, especially the spike tomahawk, then definitely read Bradak's "Combat Applications of the Tactical Tomahawk" . . . that came out in 2014. It is by far the superior text. I learned something new on just about every page of Bradak's book. A MUCH denser text than both of McLemore's tomahawk books. And as of this review it is much cheaper ($22).
VINE VOICEon December 16, 2011
I gave high praise to Mr. McLemore's first volume "The Fighting Tomahawk: An Illustrated Guide to Using the Tomahawk and Long Knife as Weapons" (see my Amazon review) and I believe it to be the best book on this iconic and uniquely American weapon and its fighting art, until I got this book, that expands on the content of the original volume and continues with advance techniques.

In volume II, McLemore does an excellent job of merging 18th/19th century colonial fighting methods with contemporary skills providing a historically rich but effective fighting form for modern application. As well, Mr. McLemore provides more in-depth historical vignettes on the evolution and employment of the tomahawk making reading this book more than a "how-to" text. The book also covers all the salient topics of tomahawk employment including; throwing, cutting, chopping and awareness of overall potential. Obviously it covers the complete manifesto of fighting methods, techniques and conceptual information; also it has extensive training information for working with partners. And like all of Mr. McLemore's books this one continues the tradition of fabulous hand sketched detailed illustrations. If I am to make one complaint about this book is my copy was missing pages. In the table of contents it states on page 367 is source material, my book abruptly ends at page 366, which kind of ticks me off. But other than this I have no complaints whatsoever.

To help master this fighting form I have searched for a training tomahawk and to be honest the selection was very limited. However, Cold Steel manufactures a heavy grade polypropylene Axe Gang Hatchet trainer that fits the bill to use instead of a "live" tomahawk in training.

Additionally there are a couple of DVD sets dedicated to fighting with tomahawks to round out your training reference material. The first is "The Fighting Tomahawk" 2-DVD set by Cold Steel. This is a very good set and worth viewing. The second set is "The Fighting Tomahawk: The Video" also by Mr. McLemore. This set is three DVD's with a runtime of approximately 250 minutes. I highly recommend this set as it supports all the information conveyed in both "Fighting Tomahawks" volumes.

I think that this fighting form is a good addition to other weapon based fighting forms; not as competition but as a compliment to the fighting skill-set. The hard-and-fast tomahawk tactics in this book truly make this an unstoppable combative weapon ideal for military warriors and martial arts practitioners.
on October 30, 2013
I have thrown and fought with Tomahawks for several years now, and I wish I'd had this from the start!
This is book two (and I DO recommend you read book one first) And within it are some of the simplest to understand, masterfully explained, practical, and REALISTIC tomahawk combatives techniques I have ever seen.
Within these pages Dwight expounds upon the precept of Vol.1, while continuing a natural and comfortable evolution of style and training methods.
This system Isn't just for re-enactors, but for anyone wishing to know how to train, fight, and defend with an original American weapon.
on January 27, 2016
As Volume II is, as the author explains, expanding on Volume I rather than adding to it, my review will expand on my review of Volume I.

I have issues with common martial arts training. A lot of situations you train for are contrived, unrealistic, and in most cases, downright silly. Some martial arts are truly nothing more than a sport. A large amount of it bears no useful preparation for getting through an actual FIGHT. Been there, done that. Having said all that, there are good things about martial arts that an astute practitioner can focus on.

This author's excellent books assume you have SOME martial arts background, and the material he presents is meant to be added to your "skillset" and used in the context of your styles of choice. It won't, by itself, make you a good fighter. If you have some background and experience in such matters, it can add tools to your arsenal to make you a better fighter. Of all the martial arts I've studied since my formal training, this author does a much better job of realism in the training than most. One must also realize that there is a lot more historical perspective to these books than most others, which I find enjoyable.

As with my other review, I feel the author should at least make mention than these techniques can apply (with some tweaking) to ubiquitous modern objects like hammers. If one is to get the most practical use out of training and study of these arts, it must be applicable to not-ideal settings and use whatever resources are available at the time. Otherwise, you're back to the more silly aspects of martial arts and adherence to picture-perfect nonsense that applies until you put your shoes on and walk out the door.

Oh, and did I mention that swinging around tomahawk-like objects is a heck of a lot of fun?
Anyone who is into fighting weapons over the years is familiar with Dwight McLemore's absolutely fantastic books. In the past I have read and reviewed most of his previous texts. (The Fighting Tomahawk, The Fighting Staff, The Fighting Bowie and Big Knife Fighting System, The Fighting Sword and the Fighting Kukri). They are always well-written well-researched books and most of them become classics that seldom lose their original value. This great book is the second one (The Fighting Tomahawk: Vol. 2 Further studies in the combat use of the early American Tomahawk)on the subject of the tomahawk.

This huge fully illustrated book with his fantastic clear drawings covers the various Tomahawk grips, cutting and chopping techniques, angles of attack, foot work and other important details in how to handle a Tomahawk as a fighting tool. The last chapter shows a portfolio of assorted tomahawk techniques. It is strongly suggested to read his first volume on the use of the tomahawk before reading this one; nevertheless, each of his great books stands alone. His books are always fully illustrated with his great drawings. The drawings show details of each technique that photographs often miss.

In conclusion, if you are a serious student of the weapon arts, you should check out not just this book, but all of Mr. McLemore's incredible and unique books.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Wakizashi-Jutsu: An official manual of Bushi Satori Ryu)
on December 13, 2010
The tomahawk was one of the weapons of the American Revolution. "The Fighting Tomahawk, Volume II: Further Studies in the Combat Use of the Early American Tomahawk" analyzes the early use of this famed weapon, first brought into prominence by the Native American Indians and adopted by the Americans settling the country. A one handed axe can be used in many creative ways, and is often dual-wielded with a large knife. For any curious in the use of the tomahawk's techniques or actual use, "The Fighting Tomahawk, Volume II" is a fascinating dissection of the countless details of use with this historic weapon.
on September 8, 2013
Very well written and useful for learning basic fighting techniques. I am very much enjoying all of Mac's books. Highly recoomend it and vol 1 as well.
on March 3, 2014
I bought this for my husband, and he just loves it. It has a lot of detail and pictures; so much information is in this book.
on October 19, 2014
arrived on time. product exactly as described. very satisfied.