86%
14%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 22, 2001
Joseph's book was the first one I read when I was questioning Christianity. Needless to say, it provoked me to not only read other books, but started me on a road I never dreamed I would be on. A book of this proportion carries a lot of weight, and unfortunately, responsibility. I say responsibility not because I feel he has an obligation to you, I, or anyone else, but at the same time, his words are so provoking, that in a sense, there is responsibility on the reader's part to exam what we will learn from them. Joseph does a phenomenal job in presenting his case concerning many aspects of Christianity. He is astute, easy to read, and very well researched. The topics in the book hit hard and ruthless in some areas. At a few points I was afraid he came across as an angry, bitter, atheist. Atheism is anything but that, and I see now the areas in question were simply tougher issues we need to deal with.
Whether you accept Joseph's view or not, I feel this book is an excellent look at why many do not accept Christianity in any form. The issues are very real, and the presentation is very smooth. If you need a look into the logical mind of those who do not accept Christianity at face value, then this is an excellent, unsung hero for the part. I encourage you to explore your beliefs.
on January 2, 2001
Joseph does a great job of showing how the christian religion has distorted the concept of god, and how it picks and chooses what it will and will not accept in the bible. He shows that, at best, the bible is a group of texts that simply contradict themselves through and through. I recommend this book to anyone who is willing to seek truth with an open mind. As someone already mentioned, the people who NEED to read it, will never do so, because they will scream in anger as their 'house of cards topples'. Although you can not simply take one book only to base your beliefs on, Joseph does a fabulous job of research and has a 38 page bibliography. He is well read and very astute. Bravo Joseph!
on October 19, 1998
To understand how we have arrived at this juncture in history, read this compelling journey of the evolution of religion up to the present. This book also ponders todays relevancy and questions the future of life's biggest mystery. The writing is unrestricted by the safe, status quo and will challenge closed minds everywhere, including the merely curious.
on March 15, 2000
This is ABSOLUTELY the best book for showing the impossibility of God's existance. I wish I'd had it during my own deconversion. Joseph Daleiden successfully refutes every main religious argument, and manages to do so in an interesting and entertaining way. The writing is not over-scholarly (as in hard to read) but the arguments are well-supported. If you question your faith, this is the book for you. If you are absolutely sure of your faith, this is also the book for you.
on February 15, 2010
I agree with the previous reviewers that this book is the undeniable call to all who consider themselves rational, to get off the fence of "agnosticism" or just following along with whatever religious beliefs you were taught in your youth, and take a stance for nontheism. It's not popular, and it may upset some of your friends and relatives, but it is our responsibility. As Socrates said "the unexamined life is not worth living." Humanity is in trouble, and if we bury our heads in the sand, dreaming of an afterlife, looking to supersitition to guide us, we are doomed. Our very survival depends on focusing on THIS life, not the next, and doing all we can to change the course of history for the sake of future generations. To the obvious Christian who wrote the negative review, the author's hostility stems not from his personal struggle with faith (which he has resolved and is quite honest about), but his utter disgust at what atrocities have been committed by religious followers in the past, and may be repeated in the future. He does not want to see people suffer like that again, and he wants to keep the barrier between church and state solid so that everyone's freedom is protected. He does not say that people can not believe unproven opinions if they choose to, he just says don't pretend that logic, reason, or the scientific method can support your beliefs. He fears the encroachment of fundamentalism into the running of the state, because as history has borne out, the government is often the tool religion uses to force it's opinions down everybody's throat (and that's all religions, not just Christianity). Don't like abortion? Then don't have one. Want creationism taught to your kids? Then do it at home or at church, and let them choose which they will believe. His well-documented book shows that thousands of years of religion have done far more to slow human progress and caused more misery than any good they have done. The facts are with him, and the burden is on us.
on April 15, 1999
I found the book, to say the least, eye opening. It helped me to make an informed decision to get off the fence and commit myself to non-theism. I look forward to more from this author!
on February 17, 1999
This informative book - written as a discussion between the author and what some call God - attempts to disabuse religious believers of their incorrigible certitude that the only true beliefs are the ones they hold. It is highly readable and will be enjoyed by the open-minded. It will outrage the religious dogmatists if, indeed, they have the courage to read it.
on May 25, 2013
The book examines all aspects of faith and where it falls short. Equal justice done to both sides. Confirms what I already expected.
on August 8, 2015
An excellent critique of the lies of the Roman Catholic Church and the fake history they have proclaimed.
on August 29, 2000
Joseph Daleiden's book is the most thorough, single volume refutation of the Judeo-Christian mythology in print.
Highly recommended!