4.0 out of 5 stars A Logic Puzzle
The book is fascinating.
I was afraid that the author was going to write "God did it", but this is actually a serious effort to present an alternative, scientifically-derived view of the universe and its forces that differs markedly from our current Standard Theory.
Does he succeed?
Well, that is the fun of the book.
He "must" be...
Published on July 22, 2003 by devoresl

2.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and thats it.
I'm not quite sure why this book has gotten such high reviews from people. Its thought provoking but is so full of holes (at least in my mind) that its really no wonder no one in science would look twice at it. Here are just a few:

1) He states that gravity doesn't exist and that its the expansion of EVERYTHING that makes us think it does. For example,...
Published on January 24, 2008 by Glenn H. Hancock

4.0 out of 5 stars A Logic Puzzle, July 22, 2003
"devoresl" (Westport, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy (Paperback)
The book is fascinating.
Does he succeed?
Well, that is the fun of the book.
He "must" be wrong, but WHY is he wrong?
You'll come up with easy "gotchas", but he's a step ahead of you.
Certainly the book does any serious reader a good service by assembling in one place the irreducible problems of our current Standard Theory. Of course scientists know these problems, but here they are assembled clearly and sharply demonstrated; a useful antidote to those of some scientific exposure who are too likely to think "We know the answers to most things". We don't, and professional scientists know we don't. Our models, of gravity, of energy, are that: models, and there are flaws in the models.
Another interesting feature of the book is the presentation of enough scientific hisory to see clearly the assumptions, and possible errors, made in forming our Standard Model.
Does this mean that the author's theory is right, and the Standard Theory is "wrong"?
Not necessarily.
It means that both are models of reality, and like any model, the truth is to be found only through empirical testing.
The book is worth reading, even though the ideas in it are iconoclastic; perhaps BECAUSE they are iconoclastic. It took guts to write this book and present it as a scientific text. If you are scientifically educated, the book WILL make you think (once you get past the initial desire to simply dismiss it with a wave of the hand).
Obviously no-one should buy this book as their first primer in physics. Apply The Final Theory to a physics test, and you will certainly fail, since the formulae McCutcheon offers are based on quite different principles than the current Newtonian/Einsteinian assumptions tested in school.
I would say that the more science you already know, the more you will enjoy the book, because it challenges your assumptions and forces you to admit that our Standard Theory is NOT Revealed Truth, but a working model with plenty of kinks in it. The scientifically trained will find the book a riddle...why is he wrong? If I accept his proposition, for the sake of argument, why does it fail? What EMPIRICAL (as opposed to theoretical) evidence can I give to defeat his model?
You will find the empirical refutation to be quite hard to make.
The book could use a good index.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the scientifically meek, January 11, 2005
In the book THE FINAL THEORY Mark McCutcheon ponders the issues of the true nature of Einstein's E = mc2 equation, asks whether anti-gravity is possible, discusses faster-than-light communication, and presents many interesting arguments that he claims to be groundbreaking. Unfortunately, I can't really make much of a judgment as to whether he is successful or not in his claims because my understanding of science is, well, a bit embarrassing. I'm out of my league here. Perhaps that is the best advice I can give about THE FINAL THEORY -- if you are not a scientist then you will probably feel you are in over your head, as I did. The lay reader may want to start with a much simpler book than this. Perhaps the most critical thing I can say is that Mr. McCutcheon's writing and argument is presented well enough so as to make me want to look further into these areas of science.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Paradigm, August 5, 2003
This is an excellent book for anyone that has ever wondered about how scientific views can change. Reading this book made me realize how early scientists must have felt trying to convince the people of their time that the earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around.
This book presents some novel solutions for perplexing questions that most of us have forgotten that we ever asked. For example, why does a magnet never seems to lose energy? Why is gravity never depleted no matter how much we use it? How does a light bulb glow if it has the same number of electrons come out as go into it? The solution proposed in this book provides an answer for all of these questions as well as other anamolies in such things as the flight pattern of some of the space probes, behaviours of some comets, and waste heat in superconductivity,
Like any theory (including Newton's and Einstein's) there are some unanswered questions, but for anyone with an open mind, this book provides some new and interesting perspectives. If you want a physics textbook don't read this book. If you want to get a better understanding of science and a potential new physics that could emerge then definitely buy this book and read it.
Is it right? Who knows. Is it interesting? Definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Assuredly a Challenging and Worthwhile Read, February 3, 2005
I finished reading the book on January 21st, 2005, having received it on January 13th. I had a tough time leaving it alone as I went through that rather busy week. The book appealed to and challenged me that much.

I am impressed by the author's obvious intelligence, the breadth of his understanding of today's science and his logical presentation of a surprisingly comprehensive and difficult theory. Kudos to Mark McCutcheon.

Further, I think it would be enormous good fun to be part of an effort that contributes to the testing, validation, clarification, correction, extension, establishment or discrediting of Mark McCutcheon's "Final Theory." I sincerely hope that the rest of us can prove whether his efforts have been worthwhile.

Mark McCutcheon is an audacious author. He is definitely not afraid to challenge the "sacred cows" of existing science and physics Standard Theory. Do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT PERMIT YOURSELF to be one of the close minded, bigoted or self adulating people who will have difficulty being patient and open minded enough to read all the way through the book. Such people will leap to a negative conclusion about the entirety of Mark's "Final Theory" based upon their not understanding or their misunderstanding and negative reaction to some point along the way.

I was tempted to do so, myself. But, as I continued to read I found that later information gave me good reason to be pleased that I had not dismissed the book out of hand. Nevertheless, I found myself highlighting the places where I had issues, as I went.

Mark lays out his theory in a logical step-by-step manner with no overview or preview to give us a look ahead at what is coming (for valid and good reasons). This works very well if you are patient, but otherwise you may be tempted to skim, look or jump ahead. Trust me you will be well rewarded for patiently reading page by page.

Mark fully acknowledges the worth and the obvious workability of the existing Standard Theory in science and physics. But, he challenges Standard Theory where it tells "how" and "what" but not "why." His "Final Theory" gives his explanation of the "why" and in many cases that leads to a new explanation of the "how" and the "what."

A most refreshing intellect is housed within this author's brain.

As you would probably expect, my second reading of the book (currently in progress, since Jan 26, 2005) is proving to be even more interesting, challenging, focusing and clarifying. In many cases the theory looks even better the second time around, but, also, the difficulties and questions stand out in more vivid relief. For those who do as I am doing, reading the book again, I suspect we will find it easy to have focused discussions with intelligent content.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very impressed!, September 20, 2004
I am very impressed! Quite an interesting perspective on what gravity is, as well as equally compelling answers to the many questions posed on the book's website ([...] and much more. This is more exciting reading than many current explanations of gravity, and physics in general. The theory is very interesting, plausible, explains a lot, surprisingly rational .. very detailed yet very easy to understand at the same time.

A physicist friend of mine used to say nobody knows what electricity is. His integrity as a physicist was showing. He realized science didn't know everything, and he was always looking for answers to what lay in the gaps, and when I read the explanations in this book I knew he was right! I wish he were still alive to see this book.

Although I have a basic understanding of physics, I once asked a physicist at the Science Congress in Denver what kind of class to take to familiarize myself with the latest and more advanced concepts in physics. He advised that I should look for a good teacher, because a good teacher would know they only had one shot to interest students or risk losing them forever. Mark McCutcheon is the teacher I was looking for, and he had only one shot at me, because if this hadn't come together logically and been so interesting I would have wandered away halfway through and lost interest in physics. But this book made more and more sense as I read, showing that every aspect of physics is based on the same new principle that finally explains gravity, making for a very logical, seamless progression ... no odd, special laws or exceptions had to be constructed to account for things that didn't fit, because everything just fits.

Many things will be more plausible now, in the sense that there are far fewer surprises when you get to the destination than with today's science: what is the sun really doing, why do spacecraft speed up when rounding another planet, why do scientists increasingly admit that observations don't fit the prevailing Laws of Physics? Did the Big Bang EVER make sense to you? Has anyone truly known what electricity, or energy in general, is (up to now)? Also, McCutcheon explains things VERY clearly. I would like to see him teaching a class on this subject, and creating a Tutorial online for those wanting to go further. I never expected to "get" the points and the more advanced areas of science so easily and to even be excited about Quantum Physics!

A highly recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Theory - A winner, September 12, 2005
Clinton G. Wax (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I was worried that this book might be pseudo science but took the plunge and bought it. I have gone from one chapter to another with amazement at the theory as well as the clear consise writing as Mccutcheon takes us through a history of apparent scientific blunders which point out when and how mistakes in our current accepted science occurred, why the current theories don't fully explain underlying reasons for the theories and how they actually violate existing theories. McCucheons theories seem to work to explain these shortfailings and more. I could not find a flaw in the book after reading it 3 times. Each chapter left me more amazed than the previous and I think it is a must read for all people, layman and scientist alike. Congratulations to a very bold author - scientist who refreshingly questions everything about our existance in this universe and accepts nothing that doesn't make 100% sense. If I was to rename this book, I would call it "100% common sense science" or "Science that really makes sense". This book is a concise exploration of a totally new theory complete with sensible equations that not only seem to work, but are actually based on non magical observations. In a word "BRAVO"

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future of Science?, June 18, 2004
This is truly an outstanding book. I have been searching for a long time to find a sensible secular scientific explanation of the universe.

Currently the standard theory, representing the opinion of the majority of researches from various disciplines, has all the hallmarks of a theory in collapse. The latest information from the Chandra deep field infa-red and X-ray survey (showing complete stars and galaxies at extreme distances have a quite normal stellar population), the Sloan Digital Sky high definition galaxy survey (showing a pattern that is not indicative of current theory), gravitational anomalies from orbital data receives by deep space probes, the necessity for introducing unreal amounts of dark matter and energy to account for galactic orbital characteristics, the failure to find evidence of gravitational particles or mediators at CERN, tends to confirm this state of affairs.

With the arrival of McCutcheon's book the 'Final theory' I feel at last I have found a solid theory realistically built on simple basic principles from the ground up. McCutcheon, in an almost kindly way, leads us gently to inescapable conclusions. His clear cut, precise and rational explanations are beautiful to follow. So much so it is quite clear that the single principle elucidated by McCutcheon and from which he draws the understanding of all physical phenomena, from the atom to the galaxy and everything in-between, must surely replace our current thinking.

A very telling section of the book, which has the hall mark of truth, is the knifelike dissection of the standard explanations for gravitational attraction of fixed and orbiting bodies postulated by Newton and developed by Einstein showing where assumptions are made and how they are built entirely on flawed reasoning and even erroneous mathematics ---- clearly explaining why this is so McCutcheon then shows the ease with which any orbiting body can influence every other in the universe, immediately, without time and without the tremendous unseen attraction forces being involved. The natural geometry of all bodies is to move in curved trajectories determined by size and not by mass. Einstein's,

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Read, August 8, 2003
By A Customer
A compelling read. At the worst, a "must have" handbook for the science teacher. At the best, an interesting conjecture and another way of looking at things which will, hopefully, help to unravel a physics woefully in need of new thinking. Hmmm, I wonder what Feynman would say ....
Some careful editing would remove redundancies which detract from the overall context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look at the gaps of modern knowledge!, May 21, 2004
By A Customer
Thought provoking and entertaining points at the gaps of modern science and offers a challenging alternative. To see how these gaps are created and what can emerge from them you should also buy Eugene Savov's Theory of Interaction the Simplest Explanation of Everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-inventing Physics, August 31, 2003
Being a non-scientist, I had feared I might be somewhat overwhelmed by a book purporting to re-evaluate and overturn the theories of Newton, Einstein and others. In the end, my doubts were completely unfounded, as "The Final Theory" turns out to be about as readable, accessible and layman-friendly as a science book can be. Think Simon Singh's "Fermat's Last Theorem" or Jostein Gaardner's "Sophie's World" - albeit with much farther-reaching implications.
But don't be fooled by the straightforward style of the book. Prepare for a major perception shift, as Mark McCutcheon takes his audience back to high school physics, then proceeds to tear up the rule book and offer a ground-up universal counter-theory of his own. Sounds grandiose and ambitious? Well, all I'd say is, give the book a chance and work with it - you'll be rewarded with one of the most thought-provoking theses you'll ever read. The author has succeeded in turning conventional physics on its head, and as each new idea is revealed, one is left marvelling at the source of such boundless inspiration.
The theories are, to say the least, unorthodox, and effort is certainly required to continually move one's preconceptions away from the accepted norms. However, once you begin to realise there's a completely different and non-conventional starting point here, it all becomes much easier to digest. And what's more it's quite a liberating experience to witness McCutcheon take his analytical knife, apply it to one of the (many) fault lines of classical physics, and cleave his own counter-proposals right through the whole theoretical establishment.
Whether you accept expansion theory or not, this is a compulsive and thought-provoking book, which will keep nagging away somewhere beneath your consciousness as you slowly start to realise there might really be something here...
A fascinating read, and mandatory fare for anyone who's ever pondered the mysteries of the universe. You'll never watch an apple drop from a tree again, without looking at it in a completely different way.

The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy
The Final Theory: Rethinking Our Scientific Legacy by Mark McCutcheon (Paperback - June 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01