‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Beautiful Pastels, August 11, 2008
Length:: 0:46 Mins

This is the cover I love the most of all the Pixar books I have. The beautiful pastel drawing is from Ralph Eggleston, production designer for Finding Nemo.

This book will only enhance that feel-good feeling after watching the movie, probably several times if you have kids.

The book is filled with character studies, set designs and lighting studies. Most of the panels were captioned to explain the art direction behind. You'll feel as if you're going on a tour at the Pixar studio, looking at art with artists talking to you. There are a lot of pastel storyboards drawn for lighting studies. They are gorgeous with with nice textural feel to them. The colour theory used for the movie is explained by Ralph Eggleston.

This is for fans of Finding Nemo, Pixar and great art.

(More pictures are available on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to an amazing animation classic, December 8, 2003
T. Metcalf "Brit in US" (Yorba Linda, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
This is the perfect book to add to a collection of pixar products. The range and detail of the illustrations and characters is amazing. This book is very similar to the art of Monsters Inc. with the added bonus of more explanations and text.
This is the perfect coffee table book. I would highly reccomend this hardback book to any animation or illustration enthusiast.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Finding Nemo; Amazing!, June 14, 2003
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
This book is a gem. Reading it, you get an appreciation for all the WORK that was put into this excellent film! The amount of effort these people exerted to create the characters, backgrounds, computer-generated "water," and every other aspect of the movie, is incredible. Flipping through these pages, you really get a feel for that.
The pictures are beautiful and make you realize things you don't think about while watching the movie. You don't realize that the story wasn't always going to play out the same way. You don't realize that the characters may have looked different had the animators chosen to go in another direction. Looking at these early sketches, step by step pastel drawings, and much more, you see what it's really like to make one of these fantastic films.
The quotes throughout are humorous and enlightening. (I particularly like the descriptions of the sharks and the fishtank.) They even reveal a secret I didn't catch after seeing the movie twice; the man in the dentist's office with the skull on his shirt is supposed to be a grown-up Sid from "Toy Story!" That kid needed a trip to the dentist! Overall, "The Art of Finding Nemo" is an unbeatable coffee table book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great Book., April 22, 2003
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
I was surprised by the "goodness" of this book. I have a LOT of The Art of [insert title of animated here] books. I am 13, and I would do ANYTHING to be an animator. If you want to see books similar to this, look at my listima list. One of the books on my list, is the Art of Monsters Inc. Its just like this book, but better. Nemo has pretty much all the same things as Monsters.... except it's just plain BETTER. The art is amazing and its really cool to see all the different mediums, from digital art to good ol' fashioned pastel. I highlt suggest this book, its at a great price. It was fit neaty and perfectly next to your Monster book, so dont worry 'bout that. It has a great dust jacket and the whole book is nice and hard, with thick, heavy paper. Buy it, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of the talented artists of Pixar., June 23, 2003
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
This book is similar to the Art of Monsters Inc. However, this time you get more than just images but you also get small introductions and quotes from the artists/animators. The book starts off with an introduction from John Lasseter and Andrew Staton, both Disney veteran animator and Pixar founder. Then the book goes off with a frenzy of incredible concept art, drawings, sketches, character sketches, color definition, and storyboard. It is amazing of how much effort they put into the film. Prepare and be dazzled with Ralph Eggleston's pastel storyboards (director of FOR THE BIRDS)! You also get a full throttle of hilarious character sketches by such famous modern illustrators - Peter DeSeve, John Sohn, etc. Pages of incredible studies on sea life and color concept for the film.
This book is a perfect inspiration for any animator or film/animation student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, June 19, 2003
"intentaccess" (Boca Raton, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Beautiful work!
If you are an animator or cartoon designer who wants to know what is going on. Or if you just love beautiful work that is fun and aspiring then this is the book for you!!
There are a ton of styles that are very fun with an array of different media.
Pixar has the absolute best creativity in the character designs!! Truly awesome book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best concept art on earth, May 22, 2003
n0s4a2 (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
It's official. Pixar has the most creative character designers in the world. If you're interested in cartoon design, want insight into what's being done, want to get into the field yourself, or just love brilliant, fun drawings that are brimming with personality, this book delivers. Lots of different styles, lots of different media, loose, inspired, traditional yet innovative, with the highest degree of skill and lyricism.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book . . ., August 13, 2005
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
My favorite of the Pixar "Art Of" books as well as one of the best "Visual Development" books I've ever seen. Overflowing with story sketches, conceptual drawings, visual development artwork, character designs, thumbnail drawings, color and background keys - nearly all of it classic, 2-D artwork. Excellent and informative text regarding the importance of good storytelling in film.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Art Of books by Disney., September 29, 2011
Length:: 1:53 Mins

I'm one of the 5 people out there that didn't like Finding Nemo. Nothing about it pulled me in, I didn't care about any of the characters, a lot of the jokes had me rolling my eyes, and...well, I'll just stop at that. But even with that view on the movie, I can't deny that it looked gorgeous and still looks great today. When I first saw a few pages from The Art of Finding Nemo, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Practically everything looked stunning, and there weren't huge sections of text like in other Art Of books by Disney. The artwork did the talking, and I appreciated that. A few other of Pixar's own art books left a lot to be desired (The Art of The Incredibles, I'm lookin' at you), but The Art of Finding Nemo is easily one of the best books I've seen.

There's not a lot I can say to convince you to buy the book, aside from stressing how beautiful it is. So hopefully the video portion helps. This book is very much worth tracking down, and while I'd suggest waiting until the blu-ray release of Finding Nemo to see if it gets a reprint, if you end up paying the original retail price, you won't feel ripped off. Everything in the movie is covered here in-depth. The dentist's office, the aquarium, the submarine surrounded by active mines, the wall of jellyfish...if you saw it in the movie, it's included here. All of the characters are featured as well, and it was interesting to find out that one of the fish in the aquarium, who has just a few lines of dialogue, was the hardest character to design. There are some nice jokes too, like in a collection of drawings of the angler fish, it shows him looking menacing, but then another sketch shows his light burn out, he changes it, then goes back to being menacing.

I can't say anything bad about this book at all. The presentation is perfect, pictures are just the right size and never pixelated, and the short stories from the crew were all interesting to read. What really won me over, though, were the breathtaking charcoal pictures by Simon Varela. You can tell which ones they are in my video, since I spend a little extra time on them, but my god are they a sight to behold. This guy needs to get signed on for more movies so we can get more work like this in other art books. I can't recommend spending a ton of money on this book, since prices are stupidly high at the moment, but it's such a fantastic art book that it should be in everyone's collection. If you needed a little nudge, I'd consider this one of the top 5 animated art books, joining the likes of The Art of Kung Fu Panda. Yeah, that's right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book for animation art fans...., April 24, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Art of Finding Nemo (Hardcover)
This attractive tome is a great value (highest quality binding, printing, graphics reproduction, etc) and showcases what looks like another Disney/Pixar masterpiece. I have not seen the film itself (..since it has not yet been released at this time of my review), but I thoroughly enjoyed following the book's presentation of the work, from plot conception to final rendering. The raw animation art and the stills from the film are outstanding, and allow one to get the "feel" of what the story is about.
In my opinion, Pixar has already captured the true Disney spirit and quality (i.e., what Walt himself demanded in his products) in the films that it has produced jointly with The Disney Company. It certainly appears, from this fine book and other sources, that "Finding Nemo" will be no exception.
You can purchase this book now and enjoy it, or you can wait for its upcoming Summer, 2003 release. Either way, you won't go wrong!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Art of Finding Nemo
The Art of Finding Nemo by Mark Cotta Vaz (Hardcover - April 1, 2003)
$40.00 $29.90