5.0 out of 5 stars Want to set your life + work on fire?
First, a disclaimer: I've got a preview copy, so there may be minor differences between this review and the final product in April. It seems pretty complete, both in content and formatting, so it probably won't be all that much different, but just in case, there you have it.

That said, I'm a long-time reader of White Hot Truth, and have the Spark Kit, which...
Published on February 23, 2012 by Peony Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries too hard to tackle too many topics...
I don't normally write book reviews but feel I have to share my view. I was really, really looking forward to this book. Danielle created a lot of hype around it, did tons of interviews, had her soul sisters (Kate Northrup, Marie Forleo, Martha Beck, Kris Carr) do enthusiastic endorsements, and so on. From the Fire Starter testimonials on her site I really thought this...
Published on May 16, 2012 by Fern Maughan Mill

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If this doesn't motivate you to take action to create the life you want, nothing will., March 12, 2012
This review is from: The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've read a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of books on jumpstarting creativity, realizing your personal and professional goals, and creating a succesful life on your own terms. Some were truly helpful but none were as overall effective and as impressive as this book. This is a gem.

Fire-Starter Sessions is a brilliant and very appropriate title because this IS about lighting a fire under yourself to take action and not just dream about the life you want.

One of the first things I liked about this book (at least the print version I received prior to publication) is the graphics format. With oversized text graphics/visuals, pages with "white space" around the type, good use of headlines and subheads and breakout copy, it is very easy to read. It's a very contemporary design and that's important because a lot of people who might benefit from its content are not necessarily "readers" (I wonder how this would look on an e-reader. I hope it retains the format!) and they don't like straight text-only books/formats.

What I also liked was the content mix. Questions, quotations (a lot of contemporary ones from the likes of Lady Gaga, Seth Godin, Hugh McLeod, etc. not just classics), straight text, worksheets. It's divided into three parts (Mojo, Moxy and Results. Just simple, straightforward and brilliant) with 16 "Sessions" that cover various aspects and issues of identifying what you want in life and how to get it. (This works on either a personal or professional level.)

This author strikes me as a fearless crusader for helping us lead an authentic life and a coach who has a real skill in identifying and then communicating the key issues in helping us move from dream to reality. The writing style (well-done, clever, creative and filled with great humor) is very accessible and, dare I say it, entertaining! To be able to include so much information and so many bits and pieces beyond her main writing requires clever and skillful writing (and editing).

This is a book I could read over and over after the initial read. It's also one of those books filled with "Yes. Yes. YES!" and "Ah-Ha!" moments. (I stopped highlighting when I realized I was pretty much highlighting every line.)

As the subtitle says, it IS both a soulful and practical guidebook. It's rare to see such a combination. Most books of this type are either/or and while inspiring on some levels, nowhere near as realistic as one needs to "Be" in the world we live in now.

I was not familiar with the author's work prior to this book but she is definitely someone I want to know more about.

Buy this book for yourself. Buy it as a gift for every college student you know, those of any age who are on a journey to a more authentic life and those who seem stuck or lost in the work world they currently inhabit.

FYI: To really benefit from the book, you DO have to do the various bits of "homework"/exercises that are included. But I found them to be not only interesting, but enlightening. They made me really THINK and get clear on a lot of stuff that had been holding me back.

Creative. Relevant. Motivating. Entertaining. Well-written and presented. This is bound to be a new classic in this genre. Thank you, Danielle!

3.0 out of 5 stars Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires, July 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is a self help journey divided into three parts: Mojo, Moxy, and Results. In the Mojo section you define yourself and your vision of success. LaPorte recommends starting with how you want to feel and working backwards from that point. One of her clients wanted to feel important, and under Danielle's tutelage, she soon felt very important. She was in the VIP section of the VIP section. This is a great strategy to focus on the feelings you want, because often you set goals and feel empty once you have achieved them.

The Moxy section contains chapters on Visioneering, purging the past in order to move FORWARD, deconstructing fear, glory boarding, and other such things. The last section, Results, suggests you find just what business you are really in, and have a friend or a coach interview you--not only to practice your interview techniques in case you find yourself interviewing for a job, but also to find out what your purpose in life is, what you are truly passionate about, what you feel you were put on this earth to do. The Results section is also where you'll find chapters on Time Management, Money, casting supporting characters in this drama called life, and ends with the apathy kicking chapter, just start, NOW!

I am currently doing a survey of self help books, and this one didn't resonate with me as much as some of the others, but your mileage may vary. I suspect that the target demographic for this book is mostly female. Danielle LaPorte reminded me of some women I have known in the past who have had a lot of wisdom, but were also certifiably insane. There was a lot of good information, but you had to take it all with a grain of salt. Not saying that LaPorte is insane, but due to my own personal history, some of the things she said set off red flags, either because I disagreed with them or because they were the exact same things that other people said that I later found out were crazy.

I am reminded of the man who studied how to purge the people in his village of evil spirits. The Shaman taught him how to swallow a handful of feathers, and then to pretend to suck the evil spirits out and cough up the feathers. He was very disappointed to learn that it was all a trick, but the villagers believed in him, and they would still usually get better. Call it the placebo effect.

The bottom line is that The Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte is a pretty good self help book that might really inspire you, but it didn't ignite my passion. I would recommend it to some people that I suspect would respond to it in a more favorable way.

2.0 out of 5 stars No fires were started here., June 27, 2012
L. Moskowitz (Skillman, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered this book after reading so many glowing reviews about it. I thought it would be somewhat like a more dynamic and hip version of "The Artist's Way". I honestly do not understand all of the adulation surrounding "The Fire Starter Sessions". In fact, I had a hard time getting past the first few pages.

It is at this point that I should share that I loathe self-help books. I'm not talking about instructional books or books on how to make you a better writer, photographer, programmer, etc. I'm talking about those books that are all about making you a more awesome YOU. I don't look into the mirror and talk myself into admiring the wonderful vision staring back at me. I would feel utterly ridiculous doing so. Call me a cynic, but all of those types of a books just seem silly and insincere. This is one of those books.

The book opens with the author asserting their authority on the topic of awesomeness by not-so-subtly introducing you to their awesome life. In one paragraph on page four, she tells the reader that she had two lawyers, a business coach and a Buddhist shrink. Really, that's fantastic, but it is utter and completely impossible for me (or most people) to relate to this person whatsoever. I was immediately turned off because I knew from page four that this person would have no way of understand my life or my needs. Simply telling me in written form to buck up, little camper, you've got all of the tools of awesome inside of you, was not going to sell her process to me.

I really wanted to like this book. I loved the way in which it was formatted; it was very reminiscent of the way in which Douglas Copeland's books are presented in print. When push came to shove, however, the exercises and advice were really just one note and similar to other books out in the market. Some of the exercises felt as though they came out of the Stewart Smalley book of advice, (seriously. There is a list entitled, "Glory Boarding" in which the reader is asked to list their victories and accomplishments. Who have you inspired, dear reader? What awards have you won?). If you need a book to remind you of your previous accomplishments or to remind you that you're a pretty awesome person, goshdarnit, than I would really recommend this to you. If you're looking for exercises to get your off your butt and motivated you to write more, shoot more, create more, find another book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old wine in a new bottle...same old stuff as many other self help books., July 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The best thing (or the worst thing) about this book is the cool typefaces and format used in the book. Big bold letters and interesting fonts. However, while it captures your attention initially it can also be a little distracting overall.
By itself the book does not contain any new information. It gives the same advice as many other books - some written by Malcolm Gladwell - to follow your heart, do what you love and get started now.
The book had some interesting moments - where it packaged some of the things I'd already read in a new form - such as a questionaire asking "What would someone pay you $100 an hour for?" That was another way of thinking of what I would be best at doing.

However, I found the author's narrative to be gossipy, self involved and too prescriptive - all at the same time. I prefer books that lay out ideas through stories and don't tell you what they are trying to tell you, if you know what I mean.

As another reviewer remarked, it seems like a book for a new age wanderer who is looking to find meaning in life and has never read a self help book before. Or maybe for someone who has lost their way and needs to get started again. For anyone else, it's not too useful as it can be generic - spouting universal truths but didactic at the same time.

Overall, it's old wine in a new bottle. Here or there a quote or a well placed question might catch your attention, and that might be all you need to get started! It might also appeal to a teenager who is considering career choices.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old self help stuff, July 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to love this book and get a fresh dose of inspiration to continue on my path of goal achievement and pursuit of my passions. But alas this book for me was very basic, dry, and superficial. It may just be me, I have read hundreds and hundreds of self help books always receiving nuggets of wisdom to use along my life path but this one fell flat. It may be more interesting if this is a readers first self help type book, but it was not for me.

There were some great quotes and lessons toward the end of the book but these were more on the caliber of a tweet or blog post than a book.

"The antidote to exhaustion isn't rest. It's wholeheartedness." -David Whyte

"It's not the imbalances of life that will get you down-it's doing meaningless things, that aren't taking you where you want to go." -Daniell Laporte

It is just a quick breezy read about the authors thoughts, I did not feel the fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars The formatting is the star, March 28, 2012
Francis Tapon (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an author of a self-help book, I'm well aware that after a while all self-help books sound the same. This book suffers from the same fate. What sets it apart is the bold and unorthodox formatting. There's plenty of big bold phrases that break up what might otherwise be a ho-hum self-help workbook.

The content is good, but not ground breaking.

Ultimately, whether this self-help book truly helps you comes down to how ready you are for it to help you. If you approach it with an eagerness to learn about yourself and to change, then this book will be an excellent catalyst.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what you would expect, October 29, 2013
First and foremost, this book has obviously been written via a by-women-for-women stylistic device [as seen by the mention of "multiple orgasms" in the first couple of pages of the book], but that is not the reason for my review.

This book was recommended to me as integral reading on how to find success in business. I was expecting a book such as 'Innovator's DNA' - with ample data points and case studies backing up any recommendations it might make. There was of course nothing of the sort and I was sorely disappointed that this book read like more of a self-help book, than something substantial.

If thats what you're looking for, then this book is good...I suppose. I however couldn't find any substance in it for myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but I'm not a woman..., May 12, 2012
This book came recommended to me and I was extremely excited to read it. Until I read it.

This book is great if you are a 40 something, middle of your career, lost soul who is looking to get over the mid-life slump. Maybe you have kids, a husband, and still feel unfulfilled. Maybe you love quips and quotes from pop-culture reference de jour, and you're probably already a Danielle LaPorte fan.

I'm none of the above things, yet, my friend really thought I would like this book. And parts of it, I did. If you've already decided on your goal, then great, some of the exercises are probably going to be helpful if you have time to sit around in your meditation room and vision your dreams walking in on a silver platter, but if you're the person I described above, then your phone, kids, husband or dog, will probably interrupt.

Gender-writing aside, the delivery lacks panache, flair, and vibrancy that I've come to expect from the White. Hot. Truth. The fire did not start, it just kind of smoked and lingered in the air.

Probably not the author's fault was the frustration of reading it on my Kindle Fire, it had broken pages and strange line breaks which only added to my frustration. This fire starter is one that I wish I'd have purchased the book in paper format, then I could have used it as fire-starter.

And I really WANTED to love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh wisdom for a new age, April 17, 2012
I am a long-time fan of Danielle and expected this book to be good. I have the original Fire Starter Sessions digital package and have seen Danielle speak several times.

The new Fire Starter Sessions blew me away.

From visual design to language to message to insight, this book is a fresh take on Danielle's teaching. It's her thinking at a whole new level. It is both immediately actionable and stick-to-your-ribs wisdom.

"Freedom starts when you can identify the aggravation you've been accommodating for so long."
-- Danielle LaPorte

One aggravation I've long suffered is the constant drivel from self-help books that promise much but deliver little. The Fire Starter Sessions is not drivel. I am free.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Written Like An Artist Would Write It..., March 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
She writes like an artist, so as long as you can "read through it" this is a solid book for aspiring entrepreneurs.

Rookies only in my opinion. Those that have been involved with starting businesses or creating for any length of time won't get much out of this book. For the "newbie" it's a very inspiring resource.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›