Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Firefly Junior Visual Dictionary
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on August 7, 2011
Simply put, I cannot give a higher recommendation to any book (and I have a personal non-fiction library of some 4,000 books from which to judge).

The first thing one notices is the art-work, which is first rate illustration of the various objects, obviously painted for this book. For example, for the trees, it shows a typical tree, half in leaves and half as in winter with no leaves. Then it gives the names of all the parts of the tree. Finally, the rest of the page is made up of many different types of trees.

On the page for shoes, I counted sixteen different parts of a shoe named; I didn't even know they had that many parts! Then, after showing the parts, there are many different kinds of footwear shown (all in the same excellent art), from pumps to boots to moccasins.

With more than 300 pages, you can imagine the things covered - from maps to buildings to food to clothes to nature and on and on. I gave one to my grandson for his birthday, and even his great-grandmother studied the book for quite a while.

If you have a child who is interested in how the world is, this is the book for him or her. I do have one word of warning; if you get this book for your child, expect to become a student to your new little expert because you'll be told the names of parts of items you never thought you'd know. You might even learn the names of all fourteen parts of a turtle!
on December 26, 2006
Excellent visual dictionary. I highly recommend this book for those just learning the English language and survivors of brain injuries who need assistance recalling words. I know it's designed for 'juniors', but it's applications are for other people as well.
on February 6, 2007
If your child has a reference book shelf that has a regular dictionary, this book is a great companion to that. It shows pictures of common objects (for example, a jet airplane) and then gives the various names of all the parts. A helpful item in my opinion.
on October 17, 2011
We were looking for a visual dictionary/encyclopedia for our 3-year-old who has auditory attention problems and challenges to conceptual thinking. We chose this book because of the review that said it is a good book for people new to the English language and also for really little kids. After perusing the book, I know I made the right choice. My 3-year-old hardly takes her eyes off the book as we go through a few of the pages at a time with her. She's also picking up new vocabulary. I'm sure there are other good dictionaries/encyclopedias out there but this one definitely serves our purpose.
on May 19, 2010
I found this book in the public library, searching for materials to use as a teacher of adults who are at the beginning level, new to English. I brought the book to class, and they were very interested in finding a copy to purchase. It's called "Junior," but is very appropriate for use by adults new to the language, much more so than books that are aimed at very young children. I'm a native speaker, and am learning a lot from it myself. What a great resource!
on August 16, 2009
My daughter, who is three years old, loves the illustrations and we learn something new all the time!
I recommend it to all ages! very young children especially!
on May 23, 2015
Wonderful classroom book, great for conversation, amazing illustrations!