Published on November 20, 2009 by Chandler

3.0 out of 5 stars MEDIOCRE
Published on March 10, 2011 by Scarlet O'Hara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A firm workout that even non-Firm fans will love and see results from, November 20, 2009
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I'll be the first to admit that most of the Firm fitness dvds trip me up because they tend to shout out the cueing while it's happening and use their own terms for certain workout moves (i.e. "funky biceps" etc.) so that you can sometimes get tripped up unless you do the Firm dvds often and know the moves and move names or unless you don't have a large collection of dvds so that you can learn how to do them via memorizing.

I mention this because if you feel like you should shove aside all the Firm dvds if you, too, might get lost during some of them...think again on this one. It packs a punch and is easy to follow along. I really like it!

CALORIC BURN: I wear a bodybugg (aka GoWear Fit) to monitor my daily caloric expenditure. This also tells me how many calories I burn per minute during a workout and how many I burn total during a workout. I mention this only so that you know what I say is based upon scientific measurement rather than perceived exertion...although I have a large library of dvds that I work out to, this is an excellent one and rated well for caloric burn, strength moves (to build muscle) and some cardio thrown in (to up the caloric expenditure).

TRAINER: She is really good, comfortable in front of the camera, personable, and energetic

SAFETY: Excellent instruction so that you not only do the moves right for optimum results, but that you do the moves safely.

MUSIC: Firm music is always upbeat and flows smoothly to the rhythm of your moves

WEIGHTS: Although Firm dvds always suggest various weights (light, medium, heavy) I always just use my medium weights...you decide what you need. I actually have their whole weight set so it's not that I am against buying all the tools they suggest, but always just use 6-7 lb weights during moves and have excellent results. So just know you can.

FOCUS: strength training but gets your heart rate up with some cardio. Great combo.

CUEING: It's actually some of the best cueing Firm offers...However, still, in the cardio portions there are some places those less coordinated may get a little tripped up but I promise you I have two left feet and I love this dvd so don't let this scare you off...I honestly think anyone can do it. I WISH they'd get some cueing comparable to some other dvds I have where there is just no doubt in your mind what the next move is and how to do it but I rarely keep a Firm dvd that I try and I seriously REALLY like this one...so this is no big deal. The cueing is EXCELLENT for the strength training moves and that is what the dvd focuses on mostly anyway.

BACK UP TEAM: The usual Firm team, very cute and motivating.

LEVEL: For any level. Beginners follow one trainer and you just add more weights as you advance so anyone can do it.

CONCLUSION:
You'll see results with this one, regardless of your level and it's a joy to do with an excellent trainer who is very motivating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Workout !!, March 4, 2009
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
Hard Core Fusion is a fun workout that will make you sweat. This workout is full of squats/lunges, so if you have bad knees, I don't recommend it. You need two sets of weights; light and medium. There is a full workout-55 min & an express workout 35 min.

The full workout begins with the warm-up then the segments alternate sculpting(5) & cardio(4). Allie has a good mix of upper body exercises - lat row, curls, french press, medial delt lifts, overhead presses, push ups. Some of these are combined with lower body lunges or squats for total body exercises. The cardio segments are fun and intense. Allie's cardio has more hip movement than I am used to.... there are a couple moves that seemed kind of goofy to me. The last segment for scultpting includes side bends and some good core and tri work. She wraps the workout up with some awesome stretches!

I recommend this workout for beginners through intermediate-advanced. The intensity level gets high, but doesn't remain there for long. There are modifications for beginners, plus on the bonus features section on the DVD, you can choose "Learn the Moves". It is one of the more enjoyable workouts I've done in a while, which is why I give it 5 stars =)

3.0 out of 5 stars MEDIOCRE, March 10, 2011
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I really like The Firm workouts and I really like Allie -- she's a great instructor. I was really disappointed with this workout and I'm not sure why it got such great reviews. The intensity is just not there -- this is a very low impact workout -- my heart rate never got up there at all. Toward the end I was yawning. I am an advanced exerciser though so I want challenges. Also, the moves are very different. There are a bunch of dance moves which, to be honest, I didn't care for. I want a workout, not a dance class. I want a workout that helps me burn calories and makes my heart stronger. This workout doesn't do that at all. I like my weekend workouts to be a little less intense; so that is what I will use this for. I'm looking forward to doing Calorie Explosion which looks much more intense. Here are a few of my favorite Firm workouts: 500 Calorie Workout, Pump, Jump n' Jab, Cardio Sculpt, Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn, Cardio Burn Plus Abs, Get Chisle'd, Fast & Firm Series: Hips, Thighs and Abs, The Transfirmer Supercharged Sculpting, and Ultimate Calorie Blaster (an oldie but a goodie). I recommend these workouts to get you super-fit. They are also safe; no injuries wanted. Overall, I wouldn't get this video unless you're looking for really low impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Firm Fan Again..., April 10, 2009
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I started out with the original Firm products and then for some reason, the "middle years" were not my favorites with the Transfirmers. I really like the last two that I've purchased.
Alli is a very detailed instructor. The DVD starts with a warm-up and then the workout is a mixture of sculpting with weights, aerobic dance, and toning without weights. The total workout (about 55 minutes) includes upper/lower body combos and also a modifier for the beginning exerciser.
Alli keeps the workout fun and interesting without being too "cheerleady."
The routine is not overly choreographed, but not a bootcamp style either.
I will add this one to my rotation.

4.0 out of 5 stars good fusion between cardio and toning...., January 15, 2010
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I have tried a few Firm videos in the past, but it is not my normal workout regime. I do a variety of workouts from cardio, pilates, yoga, step, kickboxing & dance (and just about anything else that I can do to keep it interesting). This video had many good points. I felt the cardio and toning fusion was good, maybe not extremely challenging, but still good, often working biceps along with quads, etc. to get in extra calorie burning by working two muscle groups together. Allie Del Rio Pointer is a good instructor who cues the moves well and shows good form, reminding you when to keep your back straight or when you need to concentrate on a specific element of the exercise.

For people familiar with the firm, she uses their weight sets, light and medium hand-weights. For those of us not as familiar with the firm we are a bit lost as to what constitutes a light or medium weight. I used a 5 lb weight throughout the workout knowing that my last reps should be starting to tire my muscle. If you are tired early, I would go down a notch if you are new to weights. You will need to gauge for yourself how much or how little weight you would like to use. There is also one exerciser who works with no weights and just her own body resistance. This is also an option and you will still get a good workout if you are just beginning.

There are two workouts in this dvd. The main workout is 56 minutes long with a 5 minute warm-up, 49 minute cardio and toning segment and 2 minute cooldown. The express workout is the same sequences, cut into a shorter workout which lasts approx. 35 minutes. When you are stretched for time this will give you a nice workout to get you energized for your day.

Overall, good workout, but an intermediate exerciser may tire of the routine rather easily. If you are beginner/intermediate this would be a nice way to start burning some fat and working on some muscle tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Challenging, April 19, 2009
carylene "carylene" (New Braunfels, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I have done this workout a few times and it is getting to be one of my favorites. It is a mix of sculpting & cardio segments. The sculpting segments are challenging, the cardio segments are fun & different. Allie's cuing is good, and I find her fun & motivating.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice step between basic and intermediate work outs, February 15, 2011
J. Vaida (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I purchased this DVD in a case that came with three others - Hardcore Fusion, Cardio Party, and Cardio-Overdrive. This video is a nice blend of cardio and toning with weights (5, 8, and 10 pounds). There are a few odd cues here and there, which tripped me up the first time around. I've done the video about 10 times since then and I have no problem with the cuing. I am certainly stronger now! This was a great way to get me from sitting on the couch to having more energy and stamina. Recommended if you're bored of beginner videos.

2.0 out of 5 stars too dance-y, February 10, 2010
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I thought this workout was way too dance-y, and the cues were given too late. I've been doing the Firm workouts for years, but had a hard time being able to keep up with the cardio portions of this workout due to the unfamiliar moves. I did this workout after having done Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training the day before, and Hard Core Fusion didn't feel like I was working much of anything. I think I'm hooked on Jackie Warner's training, and I can already see results of it. Very disappointed in this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not terribly challenging but fun., January 19, 2011
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
I really enjoyed this one. The cardio was not very challenging, but I liked the dance moves, which I found fun and fairly easy to follow. I really liked Ali's energy, though I was a little bugged by the constant smiles of the other participants, which I find creepy; I don't generally smile nonstop when I'm working out. The strength training was good, and the 55 minutes flew by. So all in all, a fun, effective workout probably more geared to beginners.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my favorites!, August 5, 2013
This review is from: The Firm: Hard Core Fusion (DVD)
There is a lot of "dancing" type moves and that is something that does not interest me. I like simple steps and moves. I gave it three stars because I did like the waistline work. These were new moves to me and they really do work.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Firm: Hard Core Fusion
The Firm: Hard Core Fusion by Allie Del Rio (DVD - 2009)
$14.98 $6.74