5.0 out of 5 stars Works Up a Sweat
Published on October 7, 2006 by Loves Books in MD

3.0 out of 5 stars nothing new here
This video will get the job done, however if you have a couple firm cardio videos, this one offers nothing new.It is especially suitable for beginners and intermediates.The time does fly as you are changing up moves all the time, but again, its pretty much same old,same old.I personally turn down the sound and listen to my own music which helps.
Published on December 22, 2005 by E.Dickenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Up a Sweat, October 7, 2006
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
I'm stunned by some of the reviews that said they didn't work up a sweat with this DVD. I'm a regular exerciser and rotate an extensive library that's dominated by The Firm. I used this one for the first time today and was able to keep up with most of the footwork and moves, probably because of having learned many of their earlier cardio routines that featured some of the same moves. I was dripping by the time I got done and felt I got a good workout.

If you've managed to master Express Cardio, Body Sculpt Blaster and some of the earlier Firm videos with step routines, you probably won't find the choreography in this too difficult. If you're a beginning to The Firm, be prepared for a learning curve, but it WILL get easier. As is the case with many of The Firm routines, I have more trouble transitioning to one section to the other as they tend to use the Transfirmer like this, then that, then no Transfirmer, then on the incline, then to the side. I get annoyed, but have to admit that their routines aren't boring and you often feel as if you've accomplished something when you can do them well.

I thought Stephanie Huckabee did a particularly good job of cueing this routine. She's pleasant and encouraging without being annoying. I also liked the approximately 45 minute length.

I have particularly enjoyed the Transfirmer Series. It seems The Firm has stepped back slightly in terms of complexity of choreography(no pun intended) without making the routines boring. I've found them challenging workouts with a few new moves and interesting without being maddeningly frustrating to learn. Profuse cursing was involved when I learned Express Cardio. I sometimes use my Transfirmer in lieu of the Fanny Lifter when I do some of the older routines, as the smaller size of the step box (I go so far back with The Firm that I have the original wooden steps) seems less stable after using the wider Transfirmer.

This routine is going into my regular rotation, as I thought it was a good workout and was enjoyable to do. If you're looking for a cardio routine that keeps you and the time moving quickly, I recommend this. Regulars of Firm cardio routines will recognize the steps and catch on quickly. Newcomers to the Firm may experience a slightly longer learning curve, but I'd recommend this one before trying Express Cardio or Cardio Sculpt Blaster, among others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, April 7, 2006
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
As a former aerobic instructor of 15 years, I am very particular about exercise videos in regards to the intensity, safety, variety and fun. This Firm video delivers on all fronts. It would be helpful to have a knowledge of Step aerobic commands, but with use, you will be up to speed on the ques, since the transitions are reasonably smooth and fun to do. I would'nt recommend this for beginners, as it does have a fair amount of intense movements. It is good for people who want intensity without crunching their joints(as there are plenty of movements that are high intensity and low impact). As a mother of a toddler, with limited work out time, and a desire to be challenged, I love this video and would recommend it to any one intermediate level and above. It delivers in a short period of time (about 45 mins with an additional ab workout if you have time).

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome fat burner!!!, January 8, 2007
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
This is a great cardio workout that will also sculpt your lower body, shape your upper body (as you get to use light weights in the last section), and your abs (if you use proper form). I have to admit that this is a tough workout but it is absolutely worth it. At first, I had to take breaks in between workouts but then got used to it.

Bottom line: If you want quick weight loss results with some sculpting thrown in, then you should get this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cardio workout with weights, too!, July 10, 2006
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
I HATED this workout when I first tried it. I had never done a FIRM brand workout before and I was unfamiliar with their moves. They kept referring to the moves by names and switching quickly from one to the next and I was cursing them! But I broke a good sweat attempting to keep up and tried it again several times until I mastered the moves. Now it's a piece of cake and I enjoy the way the time flies by. I bought the set that included the transfirmer step and three different videos. This particular video has a nice blend of step, floor-based cardio, tall box climb, incline, and weights while managing to keep up your heartrate. I've had a hard time finding videos that incorporate cardio and weights without slowing down your intensity, but this does a nice job of it. As the video got easier for me, I've used heavier weights. Just be careful and watch your steps on the tall box climb and incline moves. I've tried several more FIRM videos, but this remains one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a terrific work-out!, February 19, 2006
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
Although I really didn't like it at first. However that was due more to the camera work than anything else. It was difficult & frustrating figuring out where to put your body when the camera was panning around, or moving when it should stay put so you could get your feet where the should be. I had to repeat several of the sequences several times before I got the hang of where everything needed to be, making it a nice to watch but not too practical when you need to be sure of which foot is where.

That aside, once I got it, I really loved it.

Stephanie is very good, I came to really like her cueing. Once I had the steps down more or less I just needed to listen to know what was coming next, and the workout flows, transitioning very nicely from one move to the next. Many of the basic moves, Firm users already know, but she 'adds power' and makes this a great workout. Great job, great work-out, this is a disciplined routine and not for the faint at heart. I'd recommend it for anyone who seriously likes to work up a sweat and feel they've pushed themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, April 10, 2013
Julie (South Louisiana, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
Although this is not a new workout, it is new to me. I have many, many FIRM workouts and I rotate through them. I was ready for something new (cardio) and looked into this one. I don't have the TransFIRMer used in this workout, but I do have the Fanny Lifter, which is older and is actually currently being sold as the TransFIRMer. (The TransFIRMer used in this workout is no longer produced, but you can probably find it on ebay or something if you feel you must have it.) I watched a YouTube preview of this workout and I figured I could use my old Fanny Lifter. It works just fine! The only thing I don't have is an incline position, so when they work on the incline, I just use the 8" portion of my Fanny Lifter. It's not all step ~ there is floor work, too, which adds variety and keeps it interesting. The tall box climbs are killer, but I love them and they work! I like the planks section at the end and I also do the bonus ab workout on the disc after I finish the main workout. I love the way I feel after this workout ~ like I have worked out! Stephanie is a great instructor. She is likeable and she cues very well. If you're looking for a good cardio workout and you have some kind of step to use, I highly recommend this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid workout., February 20, 2007
Lovetoworkout (Encino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
This is a good solid cardio workout. While yes, there is a change of moves constantly, the cuing is good. Once you've done this workout 2-3 times, you will catch on. The workout flows smoothly from one segment to another, and does make some good use of the incline. If you are an intermediate exerciser, this is a good one to use. I actually look forward to this workout, as it does push me (I would consider myself advanced), but is pleasant to do. I find the constant change in moves challenging, and what keeps it from being boring. I am a believer in The Firm Super Cardio, but it does get wearing after awhile, as you know what is coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will get the results you want, February 17, 2010
I have been using this video for several years. It always gets my body back where I want it to be. I love that I am doing Cardio and building muscle at the same time. It does shape you in 10 or less workouts. I enjoy Stephanie. She has a calm voice. It does take a while to pick up all the steps perfectly, but it has to be challenging to be worth my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, yes, yes!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
I have a number of the Firm series workouts from the Fanny Lifter, Transfirmer and "pink" eras. This one makes my top 3 and might possibly be my top favorite. I really like Allie Del Rio, but Stephanie Corley is just awesome. Her queuing couldn't be better, she is constantly telling you right and left, how close you are to the end of a set, when to hold on and make it good because this is the last time through, I love it. The choreography is traditional Firm, a little more involved and of course more step inspired than the Fanny Lifter series which is good, it's more interesting and fun. The cardio in this workout is high intensity and will get your heart pumping and your body sweating. The step moves, particularly the tall box step moves will literally kick your butt. When I first started doing this workout I was convinced Stephanie was the devil, oh it hurts! But then after you do it a few times you see your legs toning up like never before and you're like "okay, yeah this works". As with most of the Firm lifter and firmer workouts this one lets you start as a beginner and build your way up, as you progress you can pick and choose which moves to do at the advanced level until you're doing them all at that level, then you can increase your weights, if you get that far and still need a challenge I'd say put on some weighted gloves, that oughta do it esp. cause you're going to be moving your arms a lot during the cardio segments. Depending on how much of a beginner you are you may find the two tall box segments overly difficult, hard to keep up with or hard to keep up with and have good form. They don't specify this option, but you can always just use the 8" portion of your step or the 6" even until you are strong enough to move up to the next level. Finally, my only complaint and this is more a general complaint about the Transfirmer workouts than it is about this workout in particular is that using the incline for step/four limb aerobics doesn't seem to be very good for the knees and back. Mine always felt painful or out of whack after doing the incline moves, easy solution though just use either the 6" or 8" step on its own, flat, then you're fine, trust me that 8" step will be high enough to challenge you. I wish that there were more Stephanie led workouts, but it doesn't seem like she did that many, good thing this one is so fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweat, sweat & More sweat! Love it!, August 5, 2012
This review is from: The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster (DVD)
I used to run into a woman at work in the breakroom all the time eating healthy looking salads and always had her hair in a ponytail. Anyone would notice how petite and toned she was as humble as she was in her appearance. I struck up a conversation with her and said that I noticed her healthy habits and wondered what else she did to stay so thin. She gave me a huge smile and couldn't tell me enough about how much she loved The FIRM and got up to workout at 5 am every morning. That was about 7 years ago. After that conversation, I did some research and realized that the FIRM studio/home base was in walking distance to my dorm at the University of South Carolina! What a coincidence. I had seen that sign at least 500 times during my time in Columbia, SC and it never even dawned on me that it was a workout studio.

Anyway, I immediately ordered the original transfirmer series...followed by one of the cardio series that came with weights and a band...and finally the WAVE. Yes, I have 3 different systems from The FIRM plus another one with the small ball that I found at ROSS that I've not got around to using yet because I'm SO HOOKED on the Ultimate Calorie Blaster workout! I agree that Stephanie H does an awesome job leading this workout.

I find it to be lots of fun, challenging and encouraging. I can literally feel myself slimming when I complete this workout and I'm completely drenched and dripping with sweat when it's over. I was a member at a gym for a couple of years and took many aeriobic classes and spent plenty of time on boring elyptical and treadmills but NONE of them gave me the burn and sweat that this workout does. That alone allowed me to keep my $40/month in my bank account without missing a beat. I LOVE this video and I do it often, mixing in some of my other 50+ workout videos from other popular video workout programs.

Getting started for beginners may be tricky for anyone who is not used to step aerobics, but the fact that the video series came with the transfirmer makes it SUPER EASY to pace yourself and get started. I totally recommend this workout to anyone who wants to avoid going to the gym. I turned a spare bedroom into my personal gym where I keep a mat, a tv and dvd /vCR, 3, 5 and 8lb dumb bells, a Total Gym, 2 workout balls, The FIRM WAVE and of course, my TRANSFIRMER!!!! If you're thinking of purchasing this video, GET IT! You will not regret it and your body will thank you for it. Stay consistent and YOU WILL SEE RESULTS IN 10 Workouts. The FIRM Ultimate Calorie Blaster makes working out at home 5 times a week a snap because we can all carve out 45 minutes to do what's good for us and makes us feel good about ourselves.

I can't say it enough. I LOVE the FIRM, I appreciate the opportunity to support a system that I didn't even realize was based out of my home state and the Ultimate Calorie Blaster is exactly that...an Ulitimate Calorie Blaster....2 final bonuses is that when I'm done, I know I that I've literally burned off the majority, if not all of the calories consumed during my last meal so I don't have to feel guilty about having a "slightly" larger portion size at lunch or dinnertime. I "still" stay within my caloric intake goals for the day so I can still lose or maintain my weight. What's better than getting to eat a little more?!!! Nothing! And I SLEEP LIKE A BABY and pop up early with tons of energy everytime I do this workout! I couldn't ask for more! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!

The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster
The Firm - Ultimate Calorie Blaster by Andrea Ambandos (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01