4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and sweet baby record
Published on September 25, 2007 by Blissful Mama

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by size given its direction...
I'm a compulsive writer and have been trying to keep this journal in addition to my son's daily notes journals.

During the first 4 mos I consistently found this to be lacking in pages considering it's designed as a proper journal rather than a notebook. I actually pasted in extra pages for writing down the things I wanted to include.

I've since left...
Published on August 10, 2010 by Jarucia Jaycox

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and sweet baby record, September 25, 2007
Blissful Mama (Charlottesville VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
This book is very personal, unique and artful. I much prefer the style to any pre-printed baby book I have seen. It is small and paperback, so lends itself more to a journal, which I like. I keep it at my bedside and write when the mood strikes (and no one is crying or hungry!). Because it is less formal, I feel more comfortable just picking it up to write. In my opinion, it is a nice addition to (rather than a replacement for) a more formal, sturdy, large book for holding photos and keepsakes. It doesn't seem like it would withstand a lot of wear and tear, but I'm not sure how important this is anyway. I especially like it for the second child because her "baby book" will certainly have pictures of her big sister too, while this is a nice place, dedicated only to her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Nontraditional Baby Book, April 28, 2009
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
I ordered this book for a friend who will soon become a young, single mother. I was thrilled to find a book that will celebrate her baby's first milestones without the very traditional mother/father approach. While this book would certainly suit a more traditional family, it is refreshing to find one that does not alienate anyone. The illustrations are simple and lovely, and the book's layout offers plenty of space for handwritten musings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to fill out!, June 29, 2008
Mindy (Kilauea, HI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
I really enjoyed filling out this journal. I didn't start until my son was just over a year, but in a few hours I was able to jot down lots of notes from memory and fill it most of the way out. McClure includes thought-provoking questions on some pages while leaving most of the pages blank (with only the month denoted) for free-form writing. Her art is simple and heartwarming and adds an element of fun and class to the journal. After I added a few pictures here and there it seems complete, even though I don't have every white space filled out.
Please know, a 4x6 picture fills up most of a page, so there isn't a lot of room for pictures. I am using this book in conjunction with a photo keepsake book. Also, you should be aware that about half of the journal covers month 0-24 and the other half is for jotting down "firsts" and the songs you sing, books you read together, drawings, and other inspiring things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than typical baby book, April 12, 2011
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
The average baby book has enough space for entering milestones - usually one line per. I found myself wishing for a special place to record all of those delightful things that happen when you say to yourself, "I hope I never forget this moment!"
This journal is perfect for that - with plenty of space to write both milestones as well as anything else you wish to record. I am using only one for both of my children (ages 1 and 2). There is plenty of room for both.
I bought this one for a friend, as I love mine so much. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful low pressure memory book, April 29, 2012
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
I love Nikki McClure's illustrations and I am thrilled have this book to document memories with my baby. The book is SO low pressure, unlike so many of those huge and highly detailed baby books. The book provides guidance for recording memories without requiring tons of maintenance. Buy for yourself or as a gift. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous alternative baby book, March 13, 2007
Aoife (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
Get this for any artists or musicians you know who are having a baby. The book has a poetic tone and lots of space for writing in comments far more personal and sweet than the typical height/weight/tooth stuff. Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this journal, February 18, 2007
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
The size of this journal is the perfect size. It is small enought to put in most purses to take it on the go and journal when you get a chance. Love the illustrations and how it is organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for non-traditional families, December 8, 2008
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
A beautiful book that is great for anyone, but particularly nice for gay and lesbian families, single parent families, or others who don't fit the mom-dad norm. I had a lot of trouble finding a baby book that didn't keep talking about "Dad." This is it, and it's really lovely too.

The one downside is that it's not as big and heavy-duty as some- probably not suitable for pasting photos in, for example.

4.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings... cute but not very practical, September 4, 2013
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
I am a fan of Nikki McClure so when I was expecting I was thrilled to find she had a baby journal.
Overall, I enjoyed the illustrations and the small size of this journal.
Although I did like to use the book, I was not entirely happy with it from a practical standpoint.
I am an avid journal keeper and overall enjoyed using this book but if I were to do it again, I may choose a different journal.

* Poor layout
I would have liked more space for specific baby's firsts (teeth, walking, etc.) and less space crowded by illustrations.
I am not saying that I do not like the illustrations, they just seemed to be poorly laid out and often crowded my space to write, especially on the month by month pages.
Pages that were open for one to write anything they wanted were often crowded with random words or illustrations in the middle of the page.
I would have preferred no words and illustrations in the corners so I had space to write and place small photos or momentos.

* Poor organization
The flow of the book is a bit strange... a lot of pages with illustrations and random cute words on the page.
I think it would be better to have the month by month and then pages for baby's firsts, visitors, etc.

I would recommend this book for someone who does not want to write a great deal. A large open space is intimidating to some people.
This would work well for someone who probably will not write a whole lot- just jot down little notes here and there.
It is a cute book ... probably one of the nicest baby journals available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautiful book--love using it as a mom, love giving it as a gift, April 6, 2010
This review is from: The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal (Paperback)
Gorgeous illustrations and perfect pacing make a beautiful place to scrawl down the moments and memories you'd never have time or energy to record otherwise. I look forward to writing in my 15-month-old's book every month. I got it as a gift, and now I give it as a gift---truly a great reward for the wild ride of parenting. I hope someday my daughter will treasure it, but for now, it's a journal of love and development.

The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal
The First 1000 Days: A Baby Journal by Nikki McClure (Paperback - October 24, 2006)
$15.95 $12.71