Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on May 26, 2012
Very good book. The style is a little wordy for me. Similar to 'The Power of Yoga', I'd have preferred to have more bullet points and less history of scientific discoveries. Therefore, I summarized the key points myself:

1) Inactivity is the greatest public health threat of this century. A great deal of the physical effects that we once thought were caused by aging are actually the results of inactivity.

2) Although 'Health' and 'Fitness' are often automatically joined together, they are different things. 'Health' is a slippery term, often defined by its absence (it's 'unhealthy' to have high LDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, a wide waist or actuall illnesses, from cold to cancer).
Physical 'Fitness' refers to cardiovascular or cardiorrespiratory fitness(includes measures of lung function). It is a measure of how efficiently you transport oxygen to laboring muscles to maintain movement. A fit person has a robust heart, strong lungs and sturdy muscles. But it doesn't mean he is 'healthy' (he can still have high cholesterol or ulcers).

3) How little activity can people get away with? The best available science indicates that, in order to improve your health, you should walk or work out lightly for 150 minutes a week. You can split them almost any way you want. 30 minutes a day can be split in 3 walks of 10' each. Other option is to do 75 weekly minutes of more vigorous aerobic exercise plus weight training twice a week.

4) Almost all of the mortality reductions are due to the first 20 minutes of exercise, which drops your risk of premature death by 20%. (If you triple that minimum level, you drop your risk of premature rate further, but only by another 4%). However, this is true if you're looking for health benefits, but not if your objective is fitness.

5) If your objective is to improve fitness and performance, you must overload the muscoloskeletal and cardiovascular systems, i.e.: you will have to push your body somewhat, increasing the intensity or frequency of your usual workouts. Aerobic exercise (endurance) is the wellspring of fitness and may be the single most important determinant of how long you live.

6) Exercise has been endurance-centric for quite some time, but now there is evidence strength training is also important. It changes the dynamics of aging by combating loss of muscle mass (sarcopenia) and building bone, which we start losing at middle age. Squats are considered by some scientists the single best exercise. And Yoga (or Pilates and its variations) have been shown to prompt muscular remodeling almost as readily as working with weight machines does.

7) The benefits of exercise appear to be curvilinear: they rise precipitously when you first start exercising, level off as you do more and, at some point, drop if you overdo things (although when the break point occurs differs by person). And then you may develop injuries and need to stop for a while. But the good news is that reductions in exercise don't have to strip you of your hard-won health and fitness gains as long as you don't stop completely (once a week seems to be enough until you can get back on track).

8) Sitting adversely affects the health of even the well-exercised. Even if you exercise one hour a day, it does not counteract the ill effects of sitting for the rest of the day. It's important to break up the long hours of sitting, even if it's for a two-minute stroll. This was probably the most shocking discovery for me, who felt very virtuous by exercising every morning before my one hour drive to work followed by 8 hours sitting on a chair!

9) Exercise by itself is pretty useless for weight loss since, as a species, we're astonishingly efficient at compensating for the loss of calories. It was discovered that, for example, people relying on exercising to burn out calories sometimes, without deliberate intent, begin moving less during the rest of the day. The body, and especially in the case of women, also has hormonal mechanisms to maintain body fat, such as recalibrating the appetite and increasing the desire to eat after exercise, as well as affecting the rate at which the body burns fuel (acylated ghrelin, leptin and insulin are the key hormones intervening in the process).

10) However, although exercise doesn't aid much in weight loss, it is helpful in weight control or maintenance in the long term (even brisk walking). Exercise not also helps to reduce weight regain but to keep visceral or abdominal fats in check. (They contribute to metabolic problems, diabetes and heart disease).

11) If you want to lose weight: work out before breakfast and include eggs in your breakfast. Emerging evidence also suggests that, unlike bouts of moderate-vigorous exercise, low-intensity ambulation, standing, etc. may contribute to daily energy expenditure without triggering the caloric compensation effect. Just get rid of your chair!

12) Exercise helps to get better brainpower, pushing the onset of dementia by several years. It has a prophylactic effect against the buildup of anger and helps handle stress. It speeds the brain's production of serotonin alleviating anxiety and depression. And it has great influence on kids' brains, improving test scores and IQ.
People who have been active in their twenties, no matter what their activity levels are now, have longer telomeres, a reliable marker of younger cell age. (Telomeres are the minuscule protective caps at the end of the DNA strands, often compared to the tips of shoelaces and serving the same purpose: to prevent fraying and tattering).

Those points summarize my key takeaways from the book. It's also interesting that the author questions some myths, such as the need for stretching and warming up, the benefits of massage (she says it actually impairs the removal of lactic acid) or immersing in ice to ease muscle soreness. There is no correlation at all between wearing the proper running shoes and avoiding injury. You don't need special food or drinks: real food is fine and chocolate milk is the best post workout drink. Vitamins not only are not helpful, but they may undercut the exercise's benefits (since they prevent the induction of molecular regulators of insulin sensitivity and endogenous antioxidant defense - the body 'decided' it wasn't needed). The best remedy for muscle cramps is pickle juice!
And, finally, avoid over drinking: you don't need to stay ahead of your thirst. If you're thirsty, drink. If not, you're sufficiently hydrated. Hyponatremia (water intoxication) is what causes deaths at marathons, not dehydration.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2012
While this book contains some suggested exercises at the end of each chapter, that isn't what it's about. What we get is a somewhat rambling discourse about the state of current exercise research. This is written by a New York Times writer, so lacks the rah-rah cheerleading present in most exercise books. Ms. Reynolds shares her personal experience with exercise, mainly running, as well as research and conversations with researchers. In doing so, she shines the spotlight on much recognized exercise wisdom that doesn't stand up to scientific measurement. The narrative rambles a bit but in an entertaining way. It is certainly well written.

Did you know that most of us drink too much during and after exercise, and the need for electrolyte replacement is mostly a marketing myth? Some other myths include: the effectiveness of pre-exertion stretching. It actually hurts athletic performance and doesn't appear to prevent injury. Strength an power don't always translate well. Strength training and cardio training can be performed in the same workout with the same results as when carefully separating them. Running form has little if anything to do with race results. There are many more such revelations. It's all fascinating, unless, of course, you are heavily invested in a belief that doesn't withstand the light of research.

The book is a fascinating read. If you are serious about understanding the current state of the art in exercise knowledge, it's wonderful. I certainly wouldn't consider it my first choice for designing a workout. There isn't a coherent plan. The exercised offered lack pictures to clarify the sometimes specific instructions. And other than a chapter or two, little is actually elucidated on the subject of short workouts, so "The First 20 Minutes," is a bit misleading, hence my 4 star rating. However, as a foundation with which to evaluate other workout books, this is invaluable.
on May 13, 2012
I hate to exercise, but I do it for my health. I bought this book in hopes of learning how to get the most bang for the buck. Unfortunately, though many good studies have been done, the jury is still out. That the subject is complex, that many experiments have produced conflicting results, and that there are still many unknowns is not the author's fault, but I think that the title of this book is somewhat misleading, and that the author could have done a better job of organizing the knowns vs. the unknowns.

On pages 2-3 we learn that people who exercise little and people who exercise a lot both complain of more "unhealthy days" than people who exercise a moderate amount. "Or, to be blunt, the issue of just how much exercise people need and how much may be either to little or too much is, from a scientific standpoint, a big fat mess." There you have it.

This business of the "first" 20 minutes is left unclarified: How long between workouts should one wait in order for the next workout to count as another "first" 20 minutes? Do I enjoy greater benefit from walking 20 minutes in the morning, at noon, and after supper than in one continuous hour? Do I have to wait until the next day to get the greater benefits of that "first" 20 minutes? The author is silent on this point.

In various places throughout the book, the author suggests that exercise causes our bodies to generate new cells, and seems to suggest that this is a good thing. But in chapter 10, in the discussion of telomeres, we learn that new cells have shorter telomeres, and that's a bad thing: Cells with shorter telomeres are somehow less robust. From this standpoint, it seems that preserving older cells would be better than generating new ones. I found the whole discussion confusing.

There are some nuggets, here:

Chapter 4, which addresses weight loss, offers that while exercise will not necessarily help one lose weight, there is evidence that it helps in keeping the weight off, once lost, or at least slows the rate at which lost weight is regained. This gives weight to the aphorism (that I read elsewhere), "Get fit at the gym; lose weight in the kitchen."

Also in chapter 4 is an interesting description of an insidious phenomenon called "non-volitional exercise-induced inactivity." From pp. 82-83: "People relying on exercise to burn calories sometimes, without deliberate intent, begin moving less during the rest of the day." Knowing this can help one to guard against it; I will try to keep moving during the non-exercise parts of my day.

Stretching is of dubious benefit. Good to know: Though I rather like stretching, when I'm short on time, I'll choose that part of my workout to skip.

While there is still a great muddle about how much and what kind of exercise is optimal, it's pretty clear that sitting is bad (maybe worse than lying down and taking a nap, though the author doesn't address this point explicitly).

Some strength training will make a big difference. As a result of reading this book, I will try to work my way up to being able to do some pushups. Starting at a 45-degree angle on the stairs.

In conclusion, the book mostly reinforced my faith in what I am already doing. (Confirmation bias?) I learned a couple of new things. It is not a bad book, but I had hoped it would present more scientific findings that would either supersede or more definitively validate common sense. For me, it fell short of that.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2012
I am an eighteen-year-old high school senior who has been regularly attending a gym in the morning before school for the better part of three years now. I can't tell how many theories and methods I've heard over my fitness life insofar, all of them promising better results and better athletic performance. Although I've certainly tried some of those supposedly "proven" methods, I had not seen any evidence to back these claims and as a result, I was always left wondering, "what if this isn't helping at all?"

Enter The First 20 Minutes. It took a small sample of the book for me to be sold on buying it. I poured through this book and devoured it within a couple of hours. The result? I am now more knowledgeable of areas of exercise I've known about (and sometimes participated in) but was never aware of the science behind them:

- Interval training
- Changing up the routine
- Most effective cardio workouts
- Amount of exercise needed

These are just some of areas of exercising I've done (or at least tried to) but have always had questions about. This informative book taught me a ton on these specific areas but also much more, which has led me to alter my exercise regiment based on scientific research and studies, not babble spouted from the so-called "exercise experts" at my gym.

Bottom line, if you are like me and want to further your knowledge about exercising and be able to see scientific evidence to back it up, this book is most definitely for you.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2012
I heard the author interviewed on NPR and thought that this product might provide some interesting insight in the design of my personal training plan.

At first I found the author's personal quips amusing and the conclusions interesting. However as I read further into the work I found more and more studies quoted about subjects I happen to have personal experience in. It those instances it appeared that the author either tends to cherry pick research results to prove her point (or worse to sensationalize her writings) or that her conclusions involve a leap of logic the quoted research does not necessarily support. In either case these shortcomings tend to lead me to question her other conclusions thus rendering the entire work amusing but fairly worthless to this reader.

Finally the total lack of a bibliography (which one would think necessary given some of the claims the author espouses) makes it impossible to cross check her work even if I were so inclined.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2012
I bought this book after a friend raved about hearing the author interviewed on NPR. I was disappointed. The book read to me like an amalgamation of essays on various exercise topics with little analysis weaving it all together, and no conclusion other than the repeated theme that even the best scientists don't know for sure what works. Therefore, I did not know much more when I was done than when I started. Kind of interesting to flip through, but I wish it had been done in half (or less) the words so the good nuggets were not buried -- but maybe then there would not have been enough for a whole book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2012
Better to check this one out at the library. Each chapter is crammed with "the latest research." The problem is research tends to point every which way for a long time, before it decides on anything firmly. And the author gets caught up in this mess herself. In one chapter she's reporting that stretching before exercise is counter-productive. Three chapters later, the research is recommending stretching. There are some interesting gems here. It's just not worth buying the book since it is survey of one research study after another, and it's pretty much a muddle as the author herself notes right at the start.
on April 30, 2012
The worst thing about exercise isn't doing it, it's doing it and not getting ideal results. Gretchen has taught me many, many evidence-based health 'tricks' and exercise models that I'm excited to incorporate into my schedule. She makes the science easy to understand and gives actionable solutions for redirecting my ineffective habits and turning them into healthful, impactful activities. The First 20 Minutes is an engaging and educational read and Gretchen makes it all the more enjoyable by keeping the book personal with interesting and unusual tips that make me want to give up my active couch potato ways and see true results from my exercise and activities.
on May 3, 2012
Ms. Reynolds, using her skills of bringing clarity to often confusing and competing data on exercise and fitness along with her wit and humor, has written a book that is a must read for everyone. Whether you are a weekend warrior, lifelong exerciser, or just beginning your fitness journey you will benefit from "The First Twenty Minutes." As a tenured professor of Exercise Science, a researcher, and a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, I will recommend this book to my students (even require it), friends, family, and anyone that wants to know more about exercise, fitness, and health.

What Ms. Reynolds has captured here is what is too often missed in other texts and books aiming to address similar topics: the why of it all. She addresses the questions we have all asked at one point or another: Should I stretch? What does the term "endurance" mean? Are carbs really that good for me? Are they bad? From the opening chapter where she clears the fog on the meanings of health, fitness, and performance to answering questions of nutrition, Ms. Reynolds uses personal stories and a quick wit to help us understand why the research in this field is important and why we said care. She answers the "So what?" gaze that looms over us all when statistics are cited ad nauseum.

Reams of research comes out everyday espousing the benefits of exercise. Unless you are an avid reader of academic journals (and an amateur statistician) you will have a hard time keeping up with, much less understanding, it all. Ms. Reynolds' book brings the science to a level we can all understand. Her work is based on that science and not on common mythologies around exercise or the "this works for me, you should do it this way" attitude so pervasive in diet and exercise books today. This book fills a huge void in exercise and fitness literature and more importantly, does it with a smile on its face.
on April 30, 2012
I've always been fundamentally skeptical of`conventional wisdom' as an approach to guide how I exercise and train, and what I should expect to gain from my efforts. There is a growing body of science that addresses these issues, why not use it? I'm absolutely thrilled to see this book. The author has plumbed the scientific literature and manages to distill some very complex topics, including the effect of exercise on cellular regeneration and brain health, into readable and entertaining prose. I've learned a lot already from reading just the first few chapters! Knowledge is power and I'm confident this book will help me be healthier and more fit. I'm already more motivated to get up and move just as much as I possibly can. Starting now.