5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book
The First Dog is truely a wonderful book. I run a day care and this book is the favorite of all the children. We have all of Jan Brett's book yet this one remains the most requested. Thank you Jan Brett for bringing so much pleasure to so many children!
Published on May 24, 2000 by Kerry Hand

3.0 out of 5 stars Jan Brett lover!
We love love love Jan Brett. I would not say it is one of her best stories, but as always the illustrations don't disappoint.
Published 2 months ago by S. Bechelli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, May 24, 2000
This review is from: The First Dog (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW! EXCELLENT STORY! WONDERFUL ART! GREAT GIFT OF ANY AGE!, May 19, 2000
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
To date this is my favorite of all of Jan's Bretts wonderful books! It's beautiful and it tells a heart warming story!
Brett's artwork (as usual) is tremondous! The action is so real you can't help but exclaim at the turn of every page (even if you're an adult)! In addition Brett's technique of putting clues as to what will happen next in the borders of each picture also helps build the suspense. My 5-year-old quickly spys a tusk on one page's border and shouts "Oh no! Look out Kip a Big Mammoth is coming! Hey wolf! Warn Kip that a Big Mammoth is coming!" My boy couldn't be more into the story if he is was Kip himself. The best part of the border art is that it is very thematic. For example on the saber-toothed tiger page there are carved figurines and cave art of saber-tooths based on actual archeological finds! I wish I could give 5 stars but saber-tooth cats didn't really climb trees...
I'm usually very critical of children's books & movies. In my opinion too many are either boring, plotless, or hopelessly inaccurate. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy and other imaginitive works. But, for example elephants don't drink through their trunks like a straw! So why do we tell/show kids that they do?
Thankfully Brett would not make such an insulting mistake (saber-tooth in a tree is excuseable). This story is told so well, I assume that Brett actually did some serious research about Dog Domestication (she even uses the word Pleistocene!). The wolf befriends Kip the Cave Boy not just because it would make a cute story, but because Kip and the wolf have many things in common and while acting in each others self-interest they unite against common problems. AT LAST! Accurate Anthropology & Biology in a kid's book that KIDS ACTUALLY ENJOY!
P.S. looking for another excellent Kid's book on life in the Pleistocene? Try "Grunt the Primative Cave Boy" by Timothy Bush

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite writing, beautiful pictures!, March 26, 2000
By A Customer
Join Kip the cave boy as he journeys to his home through a trecherous land filled with ferocious mammoths and gigantic grizzly bears. Paleowolf, his wolf friend, helps Kip on his trek. This book is filled with lovely drawings detailed with a careful hand; the illustrations will delight children and adults alike. Another great accompishment by Jan Brett; the perfect book to add to a child's collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Rocks., April 29, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
The first dog reminded me of my dog an me. If you

have a dog of your own you willl like The First Dog so come an buy the book for your self you will

like the story. The First Dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Rocks., April 28, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
There were lots of animals in the story that are cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for young children who love animals, February 26, 2009
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
I wanted to buy a new book for a two year old girl who loves animals, but read so many reviews about this title from 1988 that I gave it a go.

It is exactly the right level for her. She can't read it herself, of course, but the story is easy to follow, mammoths have now been added to dinosaurs as exciting "old" animals, and the illustrations are beautiful. Now she has called one of her stuffed toys "First Dog".

I imagine it would be great as well for children up to six or seven to read themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, January 14, 2009
Ian Bain (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
My 7 year old son BEGGED me to buy this book, having seen it at school. He is very interested in Ice Age animals right now, especially sabertoothed cats. When it arrived, he couldn't wait to get his hands on it and read it out loud to me and his little sister. He liked it so much, that he even wrote Jan Brett a letter - twice - and she answered him both times.

Personally, I love the illustrations. I also like the fact that it's not too text heavy - just the right ratio of pictures to text to keep kids engaged (and keep parents' throats from getting soar). I look forward to reading more of Jan Brett's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Dog, December 31, 2007
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
Jan Brett again blends beautiful artwork and easy to follow text that parents and child alike enjoy. My daughter enjoys the complex artwork and tries to predict the next page by the preview drawings. Highly recommend for ages 4-10.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, January 22, 2012
This review is from: The First Dog (Paperback)
My students loved it! What a great book for early childhood. It lead to interesting questions. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Dog, May 21, 2010
This review is from: The First Dog (Hardcover)
I love Jan Brett books, and this one was extra special because it was signed by the author. My grand daughter and I love to read this book together and play the story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The First Dog
The First Dog by Jan Brett (Paperback - August 17, 1992)
$7.00 $6.30