Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 10, 2007
This review is being written because, at the time of this writing, there is no track listing provided for "The First Family: Complete" (2007), and, as yet, no other reviews. By contrast, the previous (1999) version of this CD -- which is listed separately on Amazon but which is no longer available ("The First Family, Vols. 1 & 2") -- explicitly includes all 34 of the tracks that, together, comprised both of the LPs that Vaughn Meader released in 1962-63. The Amazon posting for that earlier release also includes multiple reviewer comments. Having spent some time unsuccessfully trying to find out whether "Complete" includes both of Meader's original recordings, I would like to save other interested buyers from having to go through the same process I did.

"The First Family: Complete" is a 2-CD set that in fact includes all 34 of the tracks that were on both of Meader's 1962-63 releases. It is identical to the "Vols. 1 & 2" CD, the only difference being that Volume 1 and Volume 2 are now each on their own disc, rather than being combined onto one.

As far as the content of the "Complete" CD set is concerned, I basically agree with most of the reviewer comments posted for "Vols. 1 & 2". The heart of the humor is Meader's good imitation of JFK's voice and Boston accent. Meader's skits put silly words into the mouth of a President who, at the time, was viewed as being urbane and glamorous ("The rubber schwan is MINE!"). Unless you remember those 3 years when JFK was President -- i.e., unless you're approaching 60 or older -- much of that humor is going to be lost. This is a nostalgia piece for those of us who owned the original LPs.
on January 13, 2008
I remember listening to this as a child in the 60's. It's even funnier now that I understand the political and historical references. Younger kids who don't know much about the Kennedy years would probably not be interested. Great for Baby Boomers or students of history.
on November 20, 2013
I remember when these albums first came out in the early 60s. Most of us loved JFK and Jackie and the kids and, being a more respectful time, were somewhat nervous about making sport of the First Family. After listening to them, that dissolved into almost hysterical laughter. It was the funniest thing most of us had ever heard and we had great fun with it. Some young folks won't understand some of the references but suffice it to say, the gentle chiding of the first Family was so funny we all had to have the album. Mr. Meader became an overnight sensation and sold several million albums which was unheard of then. This was our Saturday Night Live and Celebrity Roast all in one album. This will be the cheapest fun you will ever have.
VINE VOICEon March 13, 2007
It's been over 50 years since the Kennedys have been in the White House but the humor in this album is priceless. From the message passing of The Malayan Ambassador to the hilarious business lunch with all the world leaders (Castro, Kruschev, Andenau, DeGaulle,), this album is packed with gut wrenching belly laughs. Vaughn Meader is so convincing as JFK and it is difficult to realize that he was not JFK himself. The comedy here is so good that it is timeless!
on November 17, 2011
When I was a kid my family was huge Kennedy fans. We had the album as a child. I recently watched a documentary on Jackie Kennedy and she gave her review on the album. When the album came out a lot of people thought it was very disrespectful to the president. In the interview Mrs. Kennedy stated how funny the president thought the album was. He was not upset by it at all. They played pat of the album on the interview and it brought back so many memories of childhood I had to see if it was still available. The first place I looked was Amazon! They had it, much to my delight! I figured it was out of print years ago, and they had it on CD! I ordered it right away, received it, and we have enjoyed it every since! It just showed me that Amazon never disappoints! It is just as funny as it was when I was a child! If you need some old humor this is the way to go! ENJOY!
on July 16, 2007
I first heard this as a child on an LP when it came out in the early 60's.
Listening to it now brings back fond memories and even funnier moments with lines like the 1st Family and their report on using Crest toothpaste..or the 1st Lady's White House Tour.."and we kept it as it was originally"..including the President.
It also made me realize the importance of that particular 1st family on this nation..and how we rarely laugh about them due to their personal loss and heartache. Vaughn Meader was a genius ...proven by the The First Family!
on January 31, 2013
I agree with most other reviewers, the material listened to now is so much funnier and poignant now than when I listened all those years ago. I do however think that the material on volume one was much funnier than that of volume two.
on August 29, 2012
50 years ago, we had our problems in the world, but we never again had a President that we could laugh at and he could laugh back at himself. How many things on the album that younger people don't understand....the pounding of the shoe, the chicken salad with the live chicken. the pastrami with mayonnaise...... I laughed through the whole thing.
on September 12, 2009
Do you remember your family gathering around the black & white Zenith to watch Jackie Kennedy guide the tour of her new-and-improved White House? Do you remember the buzz that having Caroline and John-John in the White House caused? Do you remember Nikita Kruschev pounding on the table WITH HIS SHOE to make his point? Do you have a sense of humor?

If the answers to the above questions are all yeses, then I highly recommend this cd. If you were as lucky as I am, you grew up with this comedic interpretation of the Kennedy's experience as American Royalty in the White House.

I waited for a long time for this to come out on cd. Not being able to listen to Caroline's allowance being discussed or Jackie wanting to order a pizza for dinner caused deep regret at my chosing not to replace my turntable in the 90s.

This is good, clean fun. Even if you are one of the populace who had not been born when President Kennedy died, you will benefit from listening to Vaughn Meader's Kennedy. And if you're anything like me (and the subculture of people I've found who cherish this album) you will laugh each and every time you hear it.
on July 9, 2010
Last year I purchased this set, and the second disc was scratched. It had nothing to do with the seller. The manufacturer has decided to attach one of those anti-theft tabs directly under playing side of Volume 2, and then let 'er rip. The problem - one that any first grader could point out - is that this will scratch and dent the playing side of this disc as it shifts around during shipment.

I thought perhaps the one I had purchased earlier was an anomoly, and so recently I ordered a another copy. Guess what?? Same problem, different day. Now I have two copies of this release, and the second disc of each has idential scratches. Sort of like idential twins.

I have a recommendation for the management team who thought of the bright idea. Take a dollar... buy a clue.