Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on July 23, 2014
I have read half of this book already. I have been suffering from ill health lately and suspect it could be that I am allergic to wheat or may all gluten products. This book explains the difference and the consequences of being Celiac if you are allergic to all gluten products in relationship from the changes needed to be made in you kitchen; to selecting the proper new diet and how to read labels; to the changes that could occur to your insurance plan. (although, this book was written prior to the pre-existing condition approval made thru Obamacare ) It has some recipes in it on how to get started.
on November 13, 2012
I ordered this book when my husband was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue. This book breaks down the basics in eliminating gluten from your diet. It is a very useful basic guide that includes a few recipes. But learning about everything that can be contaminated and what to look out for on labels was very informative. The book breaks down removing gluten in steps based on first week, second week, etc. that makes a lot of sense. De-glutenizing is hard and can be very expensive if you are not careful. This book helped us a lot in approaching this big change in my husbands diet.
on January 1, 2011
Wow! I can't say enough good things about this book! This is THE book to read if you're a newly diagnosed celiac or even just gluten intolerant. It's factual and upbeat and contains lots of examples and solutions that you can use right away. I've read a few other books about the gluten free diet and/or celiac and many are harsh, see things only as black and white, or are very outdated in their information and therefore perpetuate old stereotypes and rumors. It's only been since the early 2000s that so much about Celiac Disease and the gluten-free diet has been learned, and the research pace is only getting faster. Stick to the more recent publications for your first Celiac Disease books. When you do decide to read some of the other (older) books, you'll be able to see just how much has changed in a short time and won't be thrown by their "warnings." I've even given this book title to my Primary Care Physician and dietitian - nothing is black and white, there are many shades of grey that are acknowledged in this book. I'm so glad that this is the first book I read on Celiac Disease - it gave me a more positive attitude for dealing with this disease! P.S. The all-purpose flour recipe provided in this book is the only one I'll use. Substitute it one-for-one in your gluten recipes to turn them into gluten-free foods!
on April 15, 2015
This book is excellent to tell you about Celiac Disease and what to do about it. It also gives you good guidance if you are gluten sensitive or allergic. It goes step by step because it is so overwhelming when you first try to go gluten free.
on January 8, 2011
I have suffered from stomach problems my entire life, but beginning at age 18, my stomach pains, issues, and bloating worsened. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in December 2010 and given this book as a gift. I immediately felt less lost, less hopeless, and a little less overwhelmed at the new lifestyle I must implement to be a healthy Celiac. I find this book to be informative and very relative because she explains things using easy to understand language, and she includes passages from other Celiacs throughout the book. I also enjoyed reading about the emotions she and others went through during their journey of learning to live as a Celiac. I will recommend this book to every gluten allergic, intolerant, and Celiac I meet! I will also recommend that their loved ones read this. The understanding and information that this book provides is PRICELESS and it can really help loved ones to be effective supporters of the gluten free lifestyle that must be implemented. She provides footnotes throughout the book, in addition to appendices, showing exactly where she found the information. It makes my research easier because I use her phrases as starting points. Fantastic resource of information!
on August 23, 2011
I would say that anyone who has been diagnosed with Celiac disease should read this book. She is a great resource to have in your bcak pocket! Her flour and baking products are the best I have tried and I have tried almost all of them. Her recipes are fantastic and my family who is very picky cannot tell they are eating gluten free until they see me taste it!!! This is HUGE!!!!!!
on January 2, 2014
This book is so helpful to a newly diagnosed celiac. It walks you through every stage (from new pans to new food to eating out for the first time) and has a great basic gluten free flour recipe. Additionally, the author now sells premade flours and cookbooks so if you like this book you can follow up with more of her products. She writes exactly how a new celiac patient is feeling and this is easy to understand so you can share with friends/family to help them understand too. BUY THIS BOOK!!
on January 30, 2013
This is a great learning tool for the newly diagnosed Celiac...I enjoy reading the anecdotal stories of others and how they adjusted to their celiac diagnosis...Great tips for handling meals out at restaurants- gives hope that life can be normal again after diagnosis!
on May 12, 2010
I have recently been diagnosed with a gluten intolerance. I realized that a major dietary change was going to be necessary, but I had no idea how to begin. After purchasing this book, I'm back in control of my life. The author has the expertise and experience; she knows her subject very well. I learned about wheat/gluten diseases, the differences between them and how to begin coping with my "new" life. If I had any other questions, websites were listed where I could find further help, support groups and sites where I could order gluten-free products and freshly-made meals (delivered)!

I highly recommend this book to anyone with questions concerning gluten or wheat-free living, whether it will benefit themselves or a loved one. You won't regret it (I promise)!
on May 19, 2014
I bought this book for a loved one with celiac disease and living gluten free. It was a struggle at first for they were in an area where people were not familiar with what foods and products gluten was in. Once people are made aware that this is real and not just a fad diet, life got a lot better for them.