Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on December 4, 2007
Though a fan of Harry Wong's "The First Days of School" I was recently shown this text by a colleague of mine. She had received an extra review copy in her mailbox and we were talking about texts to use in our related college classes.

I spent an afternoon in this book, thinking, "Wow I wish I'd had this as a first year teacher." This is basically a "big book" of short articles, essays, lists, and anecdotes covering every aspect of classroom teaching.

The text is beautifully designed, logically organized, and well-written. This book explains so many of the practical aspects of teaching. Aspects that will quickly determine a young teacher's success in the classroom (and in many cases the duration of their career in it).

For twenty bucks, even veteran teachers should have a copy on the shelf.
on August 18, 2007
I could only wish I had owned a copy of this book when I began teaching thirty one years ago. Thompson handles every aspect of the teaching life with clarity, with humor, and with clear and direct suggestions. Her approach is directed enough that even a beginner can follow her guidelines, yet she offers even the most seasoned veteran new things to consider. Bravo!
on July 30, 2007
Don't be fooled by the title. Julia Thompson's book provides valuable information for teachers of all experience levels. This book is like having a mentor sitting next to you in your living room. I don't care how well you know your subject, when was the last time you actually had another teachers opinion on rearranging the classroom? New teachers you will gain a valuable insight on the little things college classes miss, and us old vets will still learn new tricks. Intelligent, Thorough and on Topic!
on August 13, 2007
I work with new teachers throughout the year and this book is exactly what they need. The tips in the reader friendly book can help the first year teacher be prepared on the first day. I highly recommend this book for school divisions or for any teacher you know who is about to start their first year!
on September 15, 2007
Fantastic book for first time teachers. It provides great insight and feedback as to how to get started and particularly how to maintain control of the classroom. One book that didn't miss anything pertaining to kids education, a book that every first time or any teacher should have in their library.
on July 10, 2008
This text is jam packed full of helpful hint and strategies to prepare for the world of teaching.I am a fifth year BED student and I have found this book very applicable to real life world of teaching. In my opinion I think this text should be taught in classes like theory and practice at university. I recommend this book to anyone pursuing teaching it is fabulous resource and well worth your money.
on December 6, 2011
I bought this book as a gift for my student teacher but I looked through it before wrapping it up. I could not put it down. It was packed with so much information and tips that I could use even now in my 7th year as an educator! It is well worth every penny. I am sure my student teacher will enjoy it.
on September 12, 2007
As a first year teacher I am looking for books that offer concrete advice and practical techniques to help kids learn. This book offered little of either of those, instead giving long lists of one-sentence platitudes and self-surveys with no relevance to the classroom. While this book may offer some insights for the aspiring teacher, you can find most of what's in here in other teacher prep books or just by asking other teachers. For techniques that are detailed and applicable (if a bit old fashioned), check out Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching.
on July 13, 2008
This book has so much useful and insightful information that I will be referring to it for my whole teaching career. I wish it had been a required text for education classes. Many questions could have been answered and many unpleasant situations could have been avoided during substitute and student teaching.

It is right up there with Harry Wong productions!
on December 31, 2012
I am a third year high school science teacher and I found this book to be extremely helpful! A substitute recommended it to me. I have also read Harry Wong's book, which is also great, but this book is more current and easier to reference for quick tips to help during a rough time of the year or to help with the infamous "teacher burnout". I think every teacher should have this book on his or her bookshelf!