Apart from the ratings, we picked this clipper for our baby because of the magnifying glass. We quickly discovered that it sounds good in theory, but really didn't work very well! Don't buy this because of the magnifying glass. I still give it 5 stars because its primary purpose is cutting nails.

However.... the blades on this make for a crisp, even, smooth and...
Published 20 months ago by KJH

We've tried 3 or 4 different infant nail clippers. This one has its pros & cons.

I was excited about the magnifying glass, but it doesn't help. It's cheap plastic, gets fogged/scratched easily, and doesn't really magnify much.

Published on May 10, 2010 by Mad Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some design problems - there are better clippers out there, May 10, 2010
This review is from: The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clipper with Magnifier (Baby Product)

Also, there is no guard on the clippers to prevent cutting skin or the quick. The best infant clippers, in my opinion, have a guard to prevent cutting too much.

The biggest design flaw in this is that the pin keeps falling out - and it almost impossible to get back in (I've had to do this twice). If you own (or are buying) these clippers, do yourself a HUGE favor - put a dab of superglue or even clear nail polish on both sides of the pin (at the head of the clippers). It is not welded in there or attached in any way - it will definitely fall out after use.

Finally, we found NO clippers that work for babies younger than 2 months. Don't bother looking - you just have to bite off the nails with your teeth. After 2 months, we used a variety of clippers (different ones for fingers, toes, thumbs, whether she's asleep or moving around, etc).

I also use the First Years Red Cross Sure-Grip Nail Clippers. They have a guard & are safer to use. But you have to read the instructions (or watch a Youtube on how to use them) - most people who have reported problems just haven't read the instructions.

The best clippers we found have a guard (like the Sure-Grip), but are a no-name brand we found at a church rummage sale.

Hope this information helps. Good luck!

3.0 out of 5 stars Had difficulty using even w/ magnifying glass., October 22, 2009
THE GOOD:

*Works well for babies 2 months and older - Currently works really well at clipping my baby's nails (9 wk old baby).

THE BAD:

*Magnifying glass is irrelevant - I was really looking forward to this product because of the magnifying glass feature but surprisingly it didn't help that much in cutting my 6wk old baby's very small and thin nails (at the time).

*Not for newborns - IMO, This nail clipper is best to use after 2 months of age.

*Suggestion for change in product design - Not sure if it's possible for the makers to do this... but, I think making it so the cutting blades set position is much closer together would be a good idea. It will reduce the time and effort spent trying to target the nail.. also make it easier to use on newborns.

OVERALL:

*I should have stuck with the baby clippers I got (part of a grooming set) as a gift which is virtually identical to this product minus the magnifying glass but it works which is why it gets 3 stars! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharper, crisper cutting action than most adult clippers I've tried, February 24, 2013
KJH (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

However.... the blades on this make for a crisp, even, smooth and sharp cut every time. The blades are even, so that means when you press down, it clips whatever nail is between the blades with a clean, satisfying snip. No hanging nails that you have to go back and clean up.

The cutting action is so good, I don't bother using my own adult nail clippers any more.

By the way for newborns, especially tiny ones, it doesn't matter what product you have, it's a difficult, almost terrifying thing to attempt to cut their nails! Do it with lots of light and for good measure, a decent amount of caffeine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size and easy to use, March 22, 2011
I love these clippers so much that I own 3 pairs. One for each of my kids room and one for the bathroom. I never use the magnify glass feature (makes my eyes crazy), but the size and comfort of the clippers fits very well in my hand. The clippers aren't too small and are easy to use without slipping like other brands I have tried. I have a newborn and a 4 year old and these clippers work well for both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design, January 12, 2012
These nail clippers are very frustrating to use. The rounded rubber handle prevents the clippers from closing properly unless the top and bottom are lined up perfectly. I removed the "magnifying glass" because it wasn't useful. I also used a knife to remove much of the rubber on the sides but still didn't think the clippers were worth keeping because they were not very sharp. Overall, a poor design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, March 13, 2013
Friends recommend, very practical, we very like it. Packing also is very good, would recommend to a friend in need

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, August 6, 2012
Its very easy to use and has the option if you want not use the magnifier so pretty i like it so much

1.0 out of 5 stars Wast of money!, April 6, 2011
It is very difficult to and cumbersome to use and the magnifying glass is at an ackward angle and mostly in the way. It would be better to go to the 99cent store and get some reading glasses and use regular nail clipppers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best clipper out there, June 1, 2009
The clippers are very comfortable and I managed to trim my baby's nails with them. The magnifying glass is a good feature. I wish those came with a little light as well so I can trim her nails at night when she is sound asleep. But none the less these are good for it.
My baby is 2 months old and this is the first time I found a product that I can manage for the job.
I give it 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magnifier doesn't help, November 16, 2010
I agree with other reviewers that the magnifier on these clippers is virtually useless. I ended up accidentally cutting my baby's skin the first time I used them because the magnifier distorted the view and made it much more difficult to see what I was doing. After that I was reluctant to use these clippers, but a couple weeks later I tried again WITHOUT the magnifier and was much more successful (while baby was sleeping, of course). Because of this, I would recommend just buying simple, normal baby clippers and forget the magnifier. Luckily with these, you can easily move the magnifier out of the way.